My burner isn't working

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I tried to burn something. The burner didn't read that the disk was in it. I tried 3 different types of discs, same problem. I even put in a cleaner disc, it didn't read it. The next day I was gonna try again, and the burner drive comes out, but wouldn't close. It's like it lost power or something. It did this one more time, this time not even opening. What's up? I have a service plan at Best Buy with it, and I'm probablly gonna take it in. But any of you guys know what's up?

adam

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
First off, what operating system are you using? Have you installed any new applications or patches to your system lately?

Lets start by assuming that the hardware is working. Download the latest driver for your CD burner. Also, look in your device manager and see if there are any yellow exclaimation marks.

If this doesn't work, crack open your computer case and check the IDE connection and power connection.

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Running XP pro. Drivers should be recent. Everything is connected. Have not installed anything new recently.

adam

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Take it to Best Buy, you bought the service agreement...get your moneys worth

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I took it there. I need to get the box and everything that came with it when I bought it, and I'm gonna get an exchange for a better one I think.

adam

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
OK, got a new burner instead. It is a Plextor that RW's at 24X, W at 48X, and reads at 48X. Just thought I'd give an update.

adam

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
What program are you using to burn with? Or are you using the burn to cd app that is imbedded in Windows XP?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by green machine
I use Roxio Easy CD Creater 5 for burning stuff.

adam

Ew ew ew

One of the worst programs I've ever used is CD Creator. Nero is much, much better, IMO.

OP
OP
green machine

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Ew ew ew

One of the worst programs I've ever used is CD Creator. Nero is much, much better, IMO.

I haven't had any problems with Roxio, and what I like is I can do CD Text with it. My car cd player can do that, so it's nice to put it into the CD's. I'm not sure if Nero can do that--I've used Nero before and never found that feature.

adam