My 2012 Moves

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right after the season I felt that ARZ should address the OL situation & #2 WR in FA and focus on defense in the draft. I felt that Jared Gaither & Demetrius Bell would be significant upgrades to our current starting OT's but really looking at Gaither & Bell they really have some medical concerns. Bell has only played more than 8 games once in his career and Gaither has had neck and back problems that recently sidelined him in 2010, he played okay the last 6 games last season but his medical history and attitude problems may come back.

From a talent standpoint they would be great additions but there are a lot of risks. Now I think that lesser known guys like Anthony Collins (CIN) & James Lee (TB) as someone on this board mentioned may be better options. I would still nab G Ben Grubbs as I feel him and Colledge would make a great inside pair. As for Levi, I really don't think he is worth the money he is gonna get (and I am not referring to the $17M, he will be released before that happens) in FA. The guy cannot pass block to save his life and wouldn't be any better on the right side.

As for the WR position I think Robert Meachem is the best possibility. NO has to re-sign Brees, Nicks and Colston so they will not even put up a fight for Meachem as they will not have the money after those 3. Young, big and fast would provide the #2 with speed that we need opposite Fitz.

So my FA additions would be (I figure Campbell & Marshall will be re-signed):

OG Ben Grubbs
OT Anthony Collins
OT James Lee
WR Robert Meachem

I figure ARZ will keep Kolb as he is healthier and cheaper than PM will be.

Draft:

#1 - OLB Courtney Upshaw - Starts from Day 1 which DeCastro would not. Early first round picks should have an immediate impact, he will. Pass rusher / run stopper with great size. Teams with Acho & Schofield for young and talented LB corp.

#3 - ILB Tank Carder - Teams up with former teammate Daryl Washington to solidify LB corp. Tall, athletic with range to get to ball carrier.

#4 - OT Andrew Datko - Why take an OT? ARZ needs to after cutting Brown & not re-signing Keith. Will provide depth and competition for James Lee. True LT who would go sooner if not for shoulder injury, great value at this point in draft.

#5 - DL Jaye Howard - Versatile lineman who can play inside and out giving the DL more depth.

#6 - S Donovan Richard - Small school guy with impressive measurables (6'1, 220 4.49) and production (308 tackles & 6 INT's for career).

#6 - ILB Chris Galippo - Thick ILB who allows us to cut loose Bradley and gain salary cap relief. Will provide depth behind Carder & Washington.

#7 - C Garth Gerhart - ASU product who gives us a developmental prospect behind Sendlein. Nice size at 6'2 302.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
.... and one can add, a one time $1.5M call against the future CAP and turning Wilson's salary into a bonus ($6M+)

P.S. The Stuckey saving is $1.75 due to a bonus.

Bottom line, as you point out, the FO has many ways of being creative this off-season if, say, it targets PM.

What bonus. Stuckey signed a 2yr 3.5 mil contract. Last year his base was 1.05M for 2011 and for 2012 its 2.45M.

Even if we do not get PM and keep Kolb we still can go in alot of different ways to improve this team.

Come on Rod get creative and get our players signed and get Good Quality players in FA.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
However, the Cards went CB,RB,TE in last years draft. All of those were far down the list so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Cards took a WR and Safety in rounds 1 and 3. Or DT or DE or TE. Or even a QB.

I kind of agree with you about RB and CB, but Tight End has been awful for the Cards for seemingly a decade. We didn't even have warm bodies on the roster outside of my boy Jim Dray when the draft rolled around.

I've been begging the Cards to draft a TE since Heath Miller was coming out of UVA.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I kind of agree with you about RB and CB, but Tight End has been awful for the Cards for seemingly a decade. We didn't even have warm bodies on the roster outside of my boy Jim Dray when the draft rolled around.

I've been begging the Cards to draft a TE since Heath Miller was coming out of UVA.

I agree. But what made the selection unusual was that the TE hadn't been much of a factor in the Cards offense other than as blockers for years and so wasn't considered by many any great need for Arizona.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave