My 2012 Moves

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Here is my annual what I would do as Cardinals' CEO/GM---which typically means two things: (1) very little of this is going to actually happen; (2) you can reiterate that you are supremely glad I am not the one making the decisions.

Move 1: Clearing in Advance of $30M of Cap Space

Kevin Kolb ($8.3M)---Levi Brown ($16M)---Joey Porter ($5.75M)---Stewart Bradley ($6M)---Kerry Rhodes ($4.5M)---Todd Heap ($3.375M)---Chansi Stuckey ($1.75M)---Deuce Lutui ($1.3M)---Floyd Womack ($925K)---

Move 2: Will not spend big money on UFAs with recent injury issues, a la Kevin Kolb and Stewart Bradley---which means no to the likes of Peyton Manning and Demetrious Bell.

Of course, if there were stronger odds Peyton Manning returning to at least 80% of the player he once was, they would be worth the risk. But---4 neck operations and subsequent nerve damage that has caused a significant weakening of his arm will likely be too much for even the most driven athlete on the planet to rebound in swift fashion from, at least for most of this year. Plus, as tough as Manning is, no one knows, not even he, how his neck situation will affect his game and his willingness to take the pounding that NFL QBs are required to take. It's not out of the realm of possibility that he may have to sit out another year, and then could be high on the consideration list for the 2013 season.

Move 3: Committing to John Skelton as the Starting QB.

He's big, he's tough, he hangs in the pocket, has a big arm, is surprisingly slippery for a player his size and he has a penchant for coming through when the team needs him to most. Sure, he needs to start games faster and he needs to clean up some of his mechanical inconsistencies. Imagine what a full off-season will do for him---that and a vote of confidence from his coaches.

The facts that Skelton has earned an 8-4 record in the games he's taken the vast majority of snaps---has gone 4-1 versus the NFC West---and has led the team to 6 comeback wins---despite what little practice time he's had with the 1st team in off-seasons and training camps and the way he's been scrutinized as if is a 5 year veteran---I mean who can reasonably expect a young QB to light the world on fire in his first 11 starts? Yet, in certain senses Skelton has, especially when you match his 8-4 record to the 5-15 record the team has haplessly accrued the past two years without him as QB.

What I strongly believe is that when a team's QB is tough---it makes the whole football team tougher---which is one of the reasons why Skelton was able to win. I will never forget last year in the Cowboy game when he scrambled up the right sideline and instead of scampering out of bounds, he lowered his shoulder on the Cowboy DB. While, as a rule of thumb, you don't want your QB to risk injury in situations like that, in this case, Skelton made quite a powerful statement to the entire team---in contrast, what did it say to the entire team when on several occasions this past year Kevin Kolb elected to run out of bounds for 14 yard losses when all he had to do was throw the ball away? When Skelton took over, the running backwards stopped---and so did the losses. This is not a coincidence, imho.

Move 4: Take a Very Active and Aggressive Approach to Free Agency.

By committing to Skelton as the QB and letting Kolb go---and by clearing well over $30M in cap space, the Cardinals are in a highly advantageous position to strengthen the team.

Last year, if you recall, my focus was on adding players who were as I called them "Cardinal Tough." It was clear to me and to you that we had a very soft team on our hands. When I was doing my draft and free agent research, the number one criterion I considered was toughness. This is exactly why I was not in full approval of the Kolb trade---as toughness was not a term that anyone attached to Kolb. Conversely, one of the QBs in the draft I was enamored with was Andy Dalton---who received top grades for toughness by the scouts. What I explained at the time was that the main reason why Kurt Warner was so successful in the Cardinals' offense was his consummate toughness---and sheer willingness to hang in the pocket until the last possible second in order for the WR to gain clear separation. I saw this quality in John Skelton as well, which is why I have been high on him from the start. In my way of thinking, if the toughness is there, the accuracy and timing, which only come with experience and familiarity, will follow.

One of the major reason why I have been focusing on toughness is that I consider the San Francisco 49ers one of the toughest teams in the NFL---even when they weren't winning, they were tough on defense and in running the football with Frank Gore. Even when they weren't winning, they were beating us---because the disparity in toughness was too striking. They basically were kicking our butts---so much so that QB Alex Smith told the FOX crew that once you get on top of the Cardinals they "will fold up their tents." Hated to hear it---especially from the likes of Alex Smith---but it was true.

This year we have a unique opportunity to reclaim the balance of power in the NFC West---by---of all things---acquiring some of the toughest players in the NFC West.

The 49ers are likely to stick to the plan they had least year, which was to not make many free agent moves---and to keep building their base through the draft. They even allowed S Dashon Goldson to look elsewhere for decent money---while they signed a pair of veteran safeties to reasonable contracts.

It looks apparent that the 49ers are going to use the franchise tag on CB Carlos Rogers, another bargain free agent they signed last year to a one year deal.

That leaves the door WIDE open for the Cardinals to take away the toughest hitter in the 49ers' secondary in Dashon Goldson (6-2, 200, 6, Washington). The best thing is, Goldson is exactly the kind of safety Ray Horton loves---big hitter, versatile and has a nose for the ball (6 interceptions in 2011).

Goldson is the one free agent on my list that I would do all I could to impress contract-wise, because adding his toughness to our fastly growing tougher defense would be a great fit, AND, we wouldn't have to worry about him putting a licking on our WRs anymore. (Note: if the 49ers find a way to keep Goldson---we go very hard after the Rams' FS Craig Dahl (6-1, 209, 6, North Dakota St., whom is just as hard-hitting and instinctive as Goldson).

Next on the UFA list is LB Ahmad Brooks (6-3, 259, 7, Virginia), the 49ers' starting SOLB. Imagine our pass rush with Brooks on one side, Dockett and Campbell in the middle and Sam Acho/O'Brien Schofield on the other. Plus, adding Brooks, would enable us to address another position with the #13 pick. More on that to come.

I love the Cowboys' Anthony Spencer (6-3, 256, 6, Purdue) as well---more so than Brooks---but I don't see a clear window on him as a player Jerry Jones would allow to slip away.

As for the offensive line---I like 2 of the 49ers' UFAs: T Adam Snyder (6-6, 325, 8, Oregon) and G Chilo Rachal (6-5, 323, 5, USC). There's the right side of our line---they guys are big, are good run blockers and are solid pass protectors. I think Russ Grimm could turn Rachal into a Pro Bowler.

I am not through with my raiding of the 49ers just yet, as I would like to sign ILB Tavares Gooden (6-1, 242, 5, Miami) whom I think fits Ray Horton's ILB mode well and obviously wasn't able to crack the lineup in SF. I have a strong premonition that my favorite for the #13 pick, Luke Keuchly (6-2, 235, Boston College), will be off the board by the time the Cardinals pick. I have no doubt that Keuchly will remain a sure 10 plus tackle a game player at the next level, as he is the most instinctive and sure tackling LB in the draft.

Back to the offensive line, if we can get Levi Brown to restructure---especially now that he has settled nicely into the LT position---and we can add Snyder to play RT---we won't have to use the #13 pick to reach for a tackle. The tackle I like for us best in the draft is Andrew Datko (6-6, 321, Florida St.) who might be available at #81 (Round 3) because of his shoulder injuries.

The other NFC West UFA I would go all-out to sign is the Rams' P Donnie Jones (6-2, 225, 9, LSU). Offer him top P money---imagine how special our STs would be with Jones dictating field position.

Someone---one of the best posters here, and please remind me who you are---recommended signing the Bengals UFA K Mike Nugent---and the minute I saw that it clicked---as Nugent kicked well for us when he was here briefly and he had an excellent year for the Bengals.

We will need to add another QB---and even though I know we are tired of tapping into the market for ex-Steelers, I like the young talent of Dennis Dixon (6-3, 209, 5, Oregon).

At WR---a new favorite has emerged: the Bengals' Jerome Simpson (6-2, 195, 5, Coastal Carolina). He did everything to attract our attention when he did his high flip and perfect 10 landing in the end zone over our DB. This kid is sneaky fast and is smooth. I like the Saints' Robert Meacham (6-2, 210, 6, Tennessee)---but I have feeling he will be too expensive, while the price might be right on Simpson.

For the slot---the two guys I like a lot are the Broncos' Eddie Royal (5-10, 180, 5, Virginia Tech) and the Falcons' Harry Douglass (6-0, 183, Louisville)--but the player that enamors me the most is Kendall Wright (5-10, 190, Baylor) whom I think will be an instant impact player---the question is, can we take care of the more pressing positions well enough to take Wright at #13?

Another player that intrigues me (if other positions are addressed in FA) at #13 is QB Ryan Tannehill (6-4, 220, Texas A&M)---who, next to Andrew Luck is the most poised pocket passer in this draft.

Move 5: Unsung Players Who Could Make a Big Contribution:

These are players that we may have to lean on if free agency and the draft doesn't work in our favor at certain positions:

T D'Anthony Batiste. I was hoping we would have a chance to see him play a little LT in a real game this year because I thought he was excellent in the pre-season games. he has a clean kick and set-up, nice bend, very strong and balanced base and a good hard hand punch. He did play briefly at guard in one game and he played solidly.

C Ryan Bartholomew. The bench press sensation of the combine last year---now a year into training with John Lott and being coached by Russ Grimm---it would be great if he was ready to make the unit stronger as a backup to Lyle Sendlein and possible backup at guard. It would also prevent us from having to use one of our draft picks on a center.

RB Alfonso Smith. He really gave the team a lift when he was called on last year. This early in his career he is just trying to hit the hole as fast as he can---but once he gains some experience he will learn how to time his burst and stay in control of his legs. He is a real red zone threat. I think we will have to add another RB or two so that hopefully we are not having to play Beanie Wells, Ryan Williams or LSH in the second halfs of meaningless pre-season games. But it would be nice to see Smith start to establish himself as a strong #4 RB option.

TE Jim Dray. if we do release Todd Heap, with Rob Housler ready to take on a more dynamic and consistent role in the passing offense, it would be great if Dray raised the level of his game this year as the #3 TE. He could wind up being a lot like Jeff King---who, imo, was one of the top three FA bright spots for the Cardinals with Colledge and Marshall.

WR Andre Roberts. All the changes in QBs the past two years may have hurt him a little because once he gets the right chemistry with the starting QB, this kid could be fantastic.

DE Vonnie Holliday. I hope he wants to return. By the end of the year he was playing at a very high level.

DE David Carter. I think that if he keep improving the way he did all season, he will go right past Dan Williams as the starter at NT. the best thing for the Cardinals would be if Williams staves off Carter and they form a dynamic tandem.

LB O'Brien Schofield. After such a slow start assimilating into Ray Horton's defense, it would be great for him and the defense if he emerges as a bona fide 10 sack player. This is one guy who could profit immensely from a full off-season.

CB A.J. Jefferson. He struggled at times, for sure, as one would expect---but, he is the type of big backside CB who could become excellent in the system. It will be interesting to see his progress.

S Rashad Johnson. If there is any player who is on the verge of a break-out---it's Johnson. The system is perfect for him---and now that he's been adding strength, he should start to lay some licks out there.

CB/S Crezdon Butler. Can't wait to see this kid. Has size and strength---and could be a lot like Richard Marshall, particularly in the diverse way Marshall was used down the stretch as a sideline CB and nickel S.

Move 6: Re-Sign the Following In-House Players:

QB Rich Bartel---#2 or #3 QB.
T D'Anthony Batiste---possible surprise.
DE Calais Campbell---no brainer.
DE Vonnie Holliday---nice fit, if he wants to stay.
T Brandon Keith---to near the veteran minimum, with better health, may suddenly improve.
LS Mike Leach---does a great job.
G Deuce Lutui---i never thought the weight hurt Lutui's play as he was rugged and feisty on the line and downfield. I still think he can be excellent.
CB Richard Marshall---made strong strides in the system as long as he is reasonable in his contract demands.

Move 7: Draft---Players at #13 To Consider:

1. Luke Keuchly, ILB, Boston College. Ray Horton was able to make remarkable strides in getting the defense to tackle better---but the tackling is still not consistent or fundamental enough. Good tackling is contagious. Keuchly is the best tackler in the draft and will make double digits in tackles routinely on a weekly basis.

2. Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama. When adding toughness is a top criterion, this kid brings it in a big way.

3. David DeCastro, G, Stanford. Best offensive lineman in the draft, by far.

4. Riley Reiff, T, Iowa. I think he is the best tackle in this draft, and I am also thinking that the tackles may drop a little in this draft---I was reading the other day one scouts take on Matt Kalil that was surprisingly critical---so I went and watched some tape and I could see what the scout was saying. Jonathan Martin is the most athletic, but seems to have trouble sustaining blocks more often than you would hope for a potential #13 pick. Mike Adams is huge, which is one of his problems in that he tends to play top heavy and is more of a grabber than a puncher. Reiff is smooth and polished in everything he does---not a lot of wasted motion---very fundamental.

5. Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor. Electric WR who has a flair for getting over or through the defense. He's the speed, home run hitter the Cardinals have lacked.

6. Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame. Reminds me of a faster version of Dwayne Bowe.

7. Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M. Good size, pocket presence and poise. I think he could be this year's Andy Dalton.

8. Mark Barron, S, Alabama. Tough, smart, consistent winner.

9. Mohammed Sanu, WR, Rutgers. One of the best kept secrets in this draft. He could be this year's Julio Jones. Has size, speed and suddenness. Wonder if Mike McNulty will put his 2 cents in on this kid. Plus, he's a very good Wildcat option in the red zone.

10. Nick Perry, LB, USC. May not be getting the attention he deserves---but, he would be a perfect fit for us at SOLB, maybe even more so than Upshaw, because Perry is faster and more athletic.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we're not going to go after bigtime free agents, then we need to keep a few folks you have us cutting, I think.

of this list: Kevin Kolb ($8.3M)---Levi Brown ($16M)---Joey Porter ($5.75M)---Stewart Bradley ($6M)---Kerry Rhodes ($4.5M)---Todd Heap ($3.375M)---Chansi Stuckey ($1.75M)---Deuce Lutui ($1.3M)---Floyd Womack ($925K)---

I'd KEEP Rhodes, Lutui and maybe even Bradley if he'd restructure.

And (get ready to flame away!), if Brown doesn't like his value on the FA market, I'd try to bring him back as a RT.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jerome Simpsons is going to jail not free agency.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/1/19/2718769/jerome-simpson-arrested-drugs-cincinnati-bengals

Good Stuff.

Just don't know why it seems a lot of people want to get rid of Kerry Rhodes.

It is a complex plan, that is for sure.

I disagree with much of what you say, and I can't see us cutting Kolb without a plan to address the QB position. I'm sorry, but Skelton/Bartels (1&2) scares the hell out of me. Also, why would the Cardinals cut Kerry Rhodes when they would have to sign his replacement is rediculous. Why create more holes at a position with some already, and on a team that will struggle to fill the holes it currently has.

Too much turnover on a team that credits continuity as the reason that it ended last season so strong.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I have been staring at Dashon Goldson also.....But I would not cut Rhodes. I haven't quite figured out how he would fit with Adub and Rhodes.

And how would it affect the Marshall re-signing?

From what I am reading, I am becoming more and more confident that Decastro, Kuechly, & Martin will be available when we pick. One of them would have to be our pick if they were there. Based on our coaches, and the slender build of Martin at his height, I really think he would be our last choice at tackle.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
If we're not going to go after bigtime free agents, then we need to keep a few folks you have us cutting, I think.

of this list: Kevin Kolb ($8.3M)---Levi Brown ($16M)---Joey Porter ($5.75M)---Stewart Bradley ($6M)---Kerry Rhodes ($4.5M)---Todd Heap ($3.375M)---Chansi Stuckey ($1.75M)---Deuce Lutui ($1.3M)---Floyd Womack ($925K)---

I'd KEEP Rhodes, Lutui and maybe even Bradley if he'd restructure.

And (get ready to flame away!), if Brown doesn't like his value on the FA market, I'd try to bring him back as a RT.

I agree on Brown. If we don't sign or draft a big name RT, Brown on the cheap is better then someone else's scrub. At least he'd know the system.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Kerry Rhodes isn't the kind of hitter that Ray Horton wants and needs back there. he would have never gotten a whiff of the FS position with LeBeau and Horton---for the same reason why Rex Ryan wanted him out of NY...Rhodes is a good cover guy, but he's a supbar tackler---and he's not an enforcer in the middle.

If we could get Dashon Goldson for Rhodes' money, that would be a better fit and an upgrade.

I'd say we should try to trade Rhodes, but no one is going to take him at his salary.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Wow, Rugby. Thanks for the info on Simpson.

Scratch him. Pierre Garcon anyone?

I cannot take any credit. I know a Bengals fan who gave me the scoop, he also pretends to flip over me every time I see him :mad:

I will take Garcon, I think he would compliment Fitzgerald nicely.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I forgot to mention Mitch.... Thanks for the post.

They really are fun reads. I enjoy your contributions to the board.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would prefer to keep rhodes and start grooming the next gen of cardinals safeties than let go a great FS and hope to do well anyway.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I have been staring at Dashon Goldson also.....But I would not cut Rhodes. I haven't quite figured out how he would fit with Adub and Rhodes.

And how would it affect the Marshall re-signing?

From what I am reading, I am becoming more and more confident that Decastro, Kuechly, & Martin will be available when we pick. One of them would have to be our pick if they were there. Based on our coaches, and the slender build of Martin at his height, I really think he would be our last choice at tackle.

You make excellent points, Dr. Jones.

To acquire Goldson, Rhodes would have to go.

I also wonder about Adrian Wilson as a fit in Horton's system. Horton adjusted Wilson's role very well down the stretch---but any time Wilson was inverted to deep cover safety he was torched, per usual, which really limits Horton's options. he loves having his safeties be interchangeable, as he did with Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark---and notice---both Polamalu and Clark are hard hitters and good in coverage.

I don't think the Cardinals---out of respect for Wilson---would dare to release him...although some team like the Ravens might be interested in making a trade for Wilson, provided Wilson agrees to redo his contract with them.

As for Jonathan Martin---you are right on the money, imho. His slender build doesn't fit their idea of what they want their tackles to be: run maulers first, pass blockers second.

And that's just the problem with the Cardinals---they act like they are a run first team, when we know the opposite is true. You would think they would want to draft tackles who could protect the passer first and hopefully get them some push in the running game as well.

if you think about it---a case can be made that as long as Whisenhunt and Grimm have been here, we have started 4 guards and a center---have we even had a proto-typical pass protecting tackle? Not one. Mike Gandy? He too was better suited to play guard. And what's worse is that the previous regime did the same with Leonard Davis, an All Pro guard, being forced to play out of position at LT because he was "making LT money."

Thanks for your astute thoughts---keep them coming!

spanky1

Reaction score
I remember years ago, everyone was saying....cut a-dub.......I said then, "you don't give up on him this early. He's turned out well. I'm now saying that it is way too early to give up on Rashad Johnson.....I agree Mitch, he's going to have a break out year.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mitch, I think it is very interesting that you bring up Ryan Tannehill. He’s as tough as they come, he can throw on the move, he has a very quick release and by all accounts he has all the talent in the world. If they keep both Kolb and Skelton, I can’t see them going quarterback in the first round, but if they were to cut either one of them, it could happen. It’s a longshot, yes, but not completely out of the realm. I could easily see Tannehill be the kind of quarterback Whisenhunt would fall in love with.

Another intriguing option, in my opinion, is Sean Spence, the linebacker out of Miami. He’s like 5’11, 220 I think. He’s very tough, very instinctive, a very good tackler and reads the play extremely well. I think he could play strong safety, and I definitely believe it would be worth a shot if he could be had in the third round.

I just saw you answer to another post. I actually think Horton loves Adrian Wilson because he can use him in the box as a hybrid safety and linebacker. That's why I like the idea of Spence.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Also, I would love to get your thoughts on OLB, Ronnell Lewis out of Oklahoma.

I remember an interview last year with Keith Butler, the Pittsburgh LB coach. He was asked what they looked for in their LB's. He said they were basically looking for if they were fast enough to run the arch and strong enough to bull rush. Everything else they believed they could teach them, but if one of those two things were missing, they had no interest in them. To me, Lewis has those traits more than any LB in the draft maybe outside of Upshaw, and with the obvious connection to Pittsburgh I could see them having interest in Lewis.

Last edited:

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
To acquire Goldson, Rhodes would have to go.

I also wonder about Adrian Wilson as a fit in Horton's system. Horton adjusted Wilson's role very well down the stretch---but any time Wilson was inverted to deep cover safety he was torched, per usual, which really limits Horton's options.

I don't think the Cardinals---out of respect for Wilson---would dare to release him...although some team like the Ravens might be interested in making a trade for Wilson, provided Wilson agrees to redo his contract with them.

As for Jonathan Martin---you are right on the money, imho. His slender build doesn't fit their idea of what they want their tackles to be: run maulers first, pass blockers second.

Rhodes AND Wilson. C'mon Man. You don't just blow stuff up like that like one might with a Fantasy Football team.

You don't just rid yourselves of good players under contract because they don't exactly fit what you are trying to do, system-wise. Good coaches find a way to use them - like Horton did with Wilson.

Regarding bringing in new players- definitely try to fit them into what you do - as you mention with Martin.

Also, there is not going to be a $30M savings on cap with the guys you mention. There are accelerated signing bonues to deal with. For example, Kolb will only save $2M and I'm guessing the same with Bradley (I assume he had some type of signing bonus). I will let the new Joe Schmo (Canuck) weigh in on that.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kevin Kolb ($8.3M)---Levi Brown ($16M)---Joey Porter ($5.75M)---Stewart Bradley ($6M)---Kerry Rhodes ($4.5M)---Todd Heap ($3.375M)---Chansi Stuckey ($1.75M)---Deuce Lutui ($1.3M)---Floyd Womack ($925K)---

-----------------

1. Kolb = accelerated signing bonus ($8M): save about $2M in CAP room.

2. Bradley = accelerated bonus: save $2M

3. Rhodes = bonus: save $3M

4. Porter was re-done last year and is already off the books. 0 saving

5. Lutui is a UFA and already off the books. 0 saving

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I remember years ago, everyone was saying....cut a-dub.......I said then, "you don't give up on him this early. He's turned out well. I'm now saying that it is way too early to give up on Rashad Johnson.....I agree Mitch, he's going to have a break out year.

Everyone? That was a (vocal) minority opinion on the board.

More importantly, Wilson was a great physical specimen trapped in a defense that asked him to do too much. That he was talented was clear by the plays that he made--great speed combined with immense power.

Rashard Johnson? Invisible when he's on the field and his apparent ability when we drafted him--to diagnose plays and be in the right place at the right time despite clear physical limitations--hasn't shown up on the pro football field, or even on special teams.

I would still tender him an original-round RFA tag, but I'm hoping that Saban's glowing review of Johnson suckers in some other team and they pick him up.

spanky1

Reaction score
Ryan Tannehill isn't going to last to the #13 pick.....take him out of the equation as an option for us.

I'm not sold at all on Jonathon Martin as a value pick at #13.

I don't want to spend our #13 on a WR....I don't care if Kendall Wright is available or Malcom Floyd. If they think that this is a need (and I agree), then address this in FA. This is the best crop of potential WR's in FA in a long time.

I like DeCastro at #13....and if Deuce can be re-signed, with Hadnot and Colledge, we are set at OG.

Dennis Dixon from the Steelers as a backup QB....I like this. Could we package Kolb and Doucet and translate it into a 2nd round pick or even a 3rd rounder with anyone?

I can't see us even remotely considering a C in the draft. Sendlien and Bartholomew are just fine.

Alphonso Smith is my choice as the #3 RB. LHS as the #4.

Let's cut bait and run on Todd Heap.

And finally, I'm not a Stewart Bradley hater. I really think he might have a break out year this year. I'm for giving him another year. I don't think Paris Lenon has much left in the tank.

I'm curious to see if Quan Sturdivant makes any progress this year.

Toler, AJ and Butler will be in each others face for playing time this year. We must re-sign Marshall.

MAN, IT'S FUN TO BE TALKING FOOTBALL AGAIN.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What's the difference between a #3 and a #4 RB? Are we really concerned about 30 carries over the course of a season?

LSH has value on special teams when healthy. He'll be the guy making the active roster. Alphonso Smith is a schlub who didn't do anything with his chance under the bright lights and will disappear from our hearts and minds the second this year's undrafted free agent 'back "makes some noise."

I'd rather have Todd Heap than cut him. We're young at the position after King between Housler and my boy Jim Dray, he's a great story and spokesman in the Valley, and he's not making a ton of money.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Also, I would love to get your thoughts on OLB, Ronnell Lewis out of Oklahoma.

I remember an interview last year with Keith Butler, the Pittsburgh LB coach. He was asked what they looked for in their LB's. He said they were basically looking for if they were fast enough to run the arch and strong enough to bull rush. Everything else they believed they could teach them, but if one of those two things were missing, they had no interest in them. To me, Lewis has those traits more than any LB in the draft maybe outside of Upshaw, and with the obvious connection to Pittsburgh I could see them having interest in Lewis.

Great calls, Gandhi.

Ronnell Lewis is fierce on the edge---plays with the kind of aggressiveness you want, although he gets a little too hyped at times. I think he will be taken in the first half of the 2nd round, which counts us out, unless we trade down from #13 with Cleveland for the #22 and #37 picks---we would have a chance at #37 I think.

The thing that I worry about is that if the Cardinals pay Kolb the $7M...and they re-sign Levi Brown (which may take an offer of $7-8M a year)---what we are going to see is very little free agent movement from the Cardinals, if any at all. Fitz's cap number this year is $20M.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Everyone? That was a (vocal) minority opinion on the board.

I was part of that local minority!

I was all ready to run him out of town. By next year I was picking crow feathers out of my teeth for a week.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Good write up Mitch. I agree with much of it. I'm all for letting Rhodes, Bradley, and Stuckey go. I also think the Cards have already moved on from Levi and Lutui. Kolb will only be let go if Manning is signed. I'm fine, if no Peyton, letting Skelton and Kolb battle it out. Kolb's concussions are going to limit the number of games he plays next year.

In free agency, I would love Gholdson to be brought in for Rhodes. He and Wilson would be two big hitters back there. On the OL, the guy I think the Cards will target is Anthony Collins from the Bengals. He has played well but he's stuck behind 2 pretty good OT's in Whitworth and Andre Smith. He would be a nice upgrade at RT. I think th LT is coming from the draft. I like Martin the best. He's the most athletic, an underrated run blocker, and he played in a pro style offense at Stanford.

As for WR, I've been an advocate of brining back Doucet and adding Meachem/Simpson(before the drugs). At PK, I was the guy who mentioned Nugent and think he would be the ideal guy going forward. However, he's an Ohio kid and may want to stay in Cincy.

The Cards won't be big players in free agency but they don't need to be:
PK-Nugent
OT-Collins, also look at James Lee from TB
FS-Gholdson
re-sign Marshall, tag CC
look for depth at OG
bring in another vet CB, would love for it to be Porter but he'll want paid. Terrell Thomas is my choice.
I think ILB needs to be addressed but it seems the Cards will be content to go with Lenon/Bradley again. David Hawthorne form Seattle would be a nice upgrade.