Murray’s Skillset

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
There was a debate on the game thread about what could have been a TD pass to Ertz. I wrote the throw should have been lofted. Here’s what I meant.

Kyler has a great arm, but you can see why he was so much in demand as a baseball thrower. He throws lasers. However, part of being a great QB is making a variety of throws. Think of throwing against a zone defense and hitting a receiver who’s setup in a void between a LB in front of him and a Safety behind him. The QB has to get the ball over the LB and in front of the Safety. It takes touch. Kyler likes to throw passes on a line or a long arch on deep throws. Consider last year’s playoff game where a D-lineman jumped up and intercepted a pass. The ball needed to be lofted over the rusher. You couldn’t throw it through him.

I’m not saying Ertz shouldn’t have made the catch. I’m just saying Murray could have made it easier if he’d have lofted the throw over the intervening defender instead of throwing the ball on a line. The angle Murray chose required the ball to be thrown very high. I’m just not sure the touch needed for lofting is a tool Murray possesses.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no scout, but I'm pretty burnt out on heaves that are off of his back foot going backwards. I know he has a special arm, but sometimes he plays like me yelling "Kobe" and throwing a weird fade during a beer pong tournament at Papago Park Village by the pool.
I wish someone could break down every play to see all the misreads Kyler makes.
The throw to Isabella in the end zone is one example. Ertz was slanting and coming open over the middle. He might of scored.
Even when he is throwing the ball away he is weak.
Sliding instead of running out of bounds was terribly stupid. But to add to that strolling back to the huddle and taking 25 seconds to get the next play off is inexcusable.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There was a debate on the game thread about what could have been a TD pass to Ertz. I wrote the throw should have been lofted. Here’s what I meant.

Kyler has a great arm, but you can see why he was so much in demand as a baseball thrower. He throws lasers. However, part of being a great QB is making a variety of throws. Think of throwing against a zone defense and hitting a receiver who’s setup in a void between a LB in front of him and a Safety behind him. The QB has to get the ball over the LB and in front of the Safety. It takes touch. Kyler likes to throw passes on a line or a long arch on deep throws. Consider last year’s playoff game where a D-lineman jumped up and intercepted a pass. The ball needed to be lofted over the rusher. You couldn’t throw it through him.

I’m not saying Ertz shouldn’t have made the catch. I’m just saying Murray could have made it easier if he’d have lofted the throw over the intervening defender instead of throwing the ball on a line. The angle Murray chose required the ball to be thrown very high. I’m just not sure the touch needed for lofting is a tool Murray possesses.
It's a good overall point. He may never be able to have amazing touch on those. So the receivers may just have to help him out a bit. Baseball guys with decent arms have a tendency to get a little yippy with their throws at times. (I know this......for some reason. ;))

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
I honestly think that he and this franchise would have been better served if he had played in the MLB instead of playing professional football. I thought that the team should have hired a more traditional coach than Kingsbury and drafted Nick Bosa. That being said, Bidwill gave Keim, Kliff and Kyler Murray extensions this offseason. No one is going anywhere in the next two seasons.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wish someone could break down every play to see all the misreads Kyler makes.
The throw to Isabella in the end zone is one example. Ertz was slanting and coming open over the middle. He might of scored.
Even when he is throwing the ball away he is weak.
Sliding instead of running out of bounds was terribly stupid. But to add to that strolling back to the huddle and taking 25 seconds to get the next play off is inexcusable.
Was he though? Looked pretty covered to me and then there is a guy over the top. Ertz only gets past him as the db lets up looking at the deep ball to Isabella. You've been pushing this a lot, but Im not seeing it.
7:32
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was he though? Looked pretty covered to me and then there is a guy over the top. Ertz only gets past him as the db lets up looking at the deep ball to Isabella. You've been pushing this a lot, but Im not seeing it.
Ertz was breaking to his right and was coming open. It would have been a higher pct. throw to complete. Isabella is not a 6”4’ guy who can win a 50/50 ball.
You may be correct and even if so there were other examples today and in the past.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm waiting for the KM homers to start crying about QB pressure. Seems to me there was a QB on the other sideline that got some intense pressure at times that knew exactly how to beat it.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ertz was breaking to his right and was coming open. It would have been a higher pct. throw to complete. Isabella is not a 6”4’ guy who can win a 50/50 ball.
You may be correct and even if so there were other examples today and in the past.
So right this very post you've been pushing was incorrect. Rapp was sitting on Ertz and if Andy runs to the pylon, he has a chance at at a TD or PI. Im not going to dispute other plays, lets just stop with this one.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So right this very post you've been pushing was incorrect. Rapp was sitting on Ertz and if Andy runs to the pylon, he has a chance at at a TD or PI. Im not going to dispute other plays, lets just stop with this one.
Okay. But I’ll reserve my right to post my opinion. It wouldn’t be the first time I was wrong.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think we’re talking about different plays. I’m writing about Ertz when his back was to the end line. No one was behind him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose