Murray’s Performance

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our offense is middle of the road, and can't put up points. Our defense is now historically terrible, instead of our offense being historically terrible. As was written in another thread, we're on the cusp of firing our DC and GM. That is not what good teams on the rise do. We have improved our 2018 record by one whole tie, and not a single win or tie has come against a team with more than 3 wins.

Competing for the playoffs? Not really. Winning a few more games? Not teetering on the edge of a complete franchise changing job opening for the third season in a row?

Boy howdy, my expectations must be off the charts to not want to be...

23rd in YPG on offense.
20th in total points on offense.
20th in yards per play on offense.
23rd in first downs per game on offense.
22nd in 3rd down percentage on offense.

32nd in YPG on defense.
31st in total points on defense.

And, et cetera. This team is garbage.

Edit: Also, I'll wait until someone uses our DVOA or something as some kind of important stat, but guess what - our overall DVOA is 24th. Let's pat ourselves on the back guys.

Who wants to be in the 20s on offense? You'd be hard pressed to find someone. Yet, the 20s is a huge improvement from where we were last year.
No one can argue how bad we have been on defense. It is almost like we switched our offense from our defense last year.
The other thing that no one talks about is our special teams are greatly improved. We used to be historically bad, and now it is the strength of our team.

So we have marked improvement on two phases of the ball, and a steep decline on the other.

Most of us have wanted to fire our GM for years and our DC deserves to be fired. We won't get the type of improvement as a team that we want until we consistently missing on 1st round picks.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I think this is the difference between me and others on this board. IMO, Kyler Murray should win every game he plays vs a 3rd string QB...that includes the Steelers w/ Duck Hodges. I thin kwe should be competitive vs the train wreck Browns, but that is more because their offense vs our defense is going to require Murray to put up points at a level he just hasn't yet this year.
If it was a head to head skills challenge between the two QBs than sure, but it unfortunately doesn’t work like that. It’s our TEAM vs their TEAM and unfortunately our defense will probably still get torched against a third string QB.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
This is pretty much the same team, and the same talent that went to the superbowl just last year, and added an all pro in Ramsey. Why they aren't winning, isn't an issue with talent IMO.
See post "All or Nothing" Cardinals under Arians

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kid's gotta come strong with at least a couple of really good games down the stretch here to get me optimistic about next season. He's shown flashes, but he's also shown some ugly too.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If it was a head to head skills challenge between the two QBs than sure, but it unfortunately doesn’t work like that. It’s our TEAM vs their TEAM and unfortunately our defense will probably still get torched against a third string QB.
This game is skewed so offensively your assertion is off. The idea that a player of his caliber can't score more points than a player of Hodges talent is silly to me. This isn't Jared Goff. Hell, Hodges isn't even near the talent of Kyle Allen. Dude is rookie. Dude is undrafted. He has thrown 3 tds to 2 ints. No excuses.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
This game is skewed so offensively your assertion is off. The idea that a player of his caliber can't score more points than a player of Hodges talent is silly to me. This isn't Jared Goff. Hell, Hodges isn't even near the talent of Kyle Allen. Dude is rookie. Dude is undrafted. He has thrown 3 tds to 2 ints. No excuses.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
It's Kyler vs the Steelers defense and a 3rd stringer against our terrible defense. It doesn't matter who Hodges is or isn't as he will still probably destroy us on Sunday anyways.

If Kyler comes out and plays a good game, but the defense gives up like 30 to the Steelers I just see how you could pin that loss on Kyler.

Of course if the defense does their job and doesn't give up a good game to Hodges than I would agree that Kyler needs to do enough to win, but I am not certain that the defense will do well even against Hodges.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It's Kyler vs the Steelers defense and a 3rd stringer against our terrible defense. It doesn't matter who Hodges is or isn't as he will still probably destroy us on Sunday anyways.

If Kyler comes out and plays a good game, but the defense gives up like 30 to the Steelers I just see how you could pin that loss on Kyler.

Of course if the defense does their job and doesn't give up a good game to Hodges than I would agree that Kyler needs to do enough to win, but I am not certain that the defense will do well even against Hodges.
I will preface this all with "IMO".

This is a similar argument to the one where the best team in college football can beat the worst team in the NFL. There is a huge gap in talent between the two which makes the argument silly.

The same goes for street FA QBs. I don't care how bad our defense is, it is going to seem worlds better than it really is to a QB like Duck Hodges. He went undrafted for a reason. I don't expect the Cardinals defense to pitch a shut out, but it is silly to think that they are going to give up significantly more than 24 points to a team with Hodges, on the road, and without JuJu and James Conner.

Reactions: HGC

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I will preface this all with "IMO".

This is a similar argument to the one where the best team in college football can beat the worst team in the NFL. There is a huge gap in talent between the two which makes the argument silly.

The same goes for street FA QBs. I don't care how bad our defense is, it is going to seem worlds better than it really is to a QB like Duck Hodges. He went undrafted for a reason. I don't expect the Cardinals defense to pitch a shut out, but it is silly to think that they are going to give up significantly more than 24 points to a team with Hodges, on the road, and without JuJu and James Conner.
And yet I will not be even a bit surprised if it happens...

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The real question is do i start Benny Snell or Zach Paschal in my flex spot this weekend. PPR League

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave