Movie-A-Day #8: It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to thank my dad for getting me into this movie...he made my brother and I sit down and watch it once and we just loved it.

The movie probably had one of the biggest ensemble casts ever put together. Mickey Rooney, Spencer Tracy, Milton Berle, Sid Ceaser, Buddy Hackett, Jonathon Winters, Phil Silvers, Don Knotts, Three Stooges, etc...just a ton of people.

It was made in 1963 by Stanley Kramer.

The story is about a guy who crashes his car somewhere in California, and the group of four cars that stop to see if he's okay. The guy of course dies, but not until he tells them that there's "all this dough buried under this big 'W' ".

So what ensues is a mad dash to Santa Rosita to find this money, and it's just hilarious in some parts. The cameos are great, and the acting by Hackett and Winters just kills me.

Anyways, this is one of my all time favorites, ranks #3 on my Top 10 Comedy list.

Mike

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Great film! Much better than it's remake, Rat Race... (or Cannonball Run, or...)

I love the ensemble cast, you could never really do that now unless you're Robert Altman, but Altman could never make that kind of madcap comedy.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent choice chicky!!! :thumbup:

Watched this movie for the first time when I was a kid and just loved it. It was hilarious and the comedy is great in this movie. Great cast, great timing, just great all around.

I think Chap's right - you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who could pull this off now. Other movies that have tried have failed in comparison.

Winters was - as always - hysterical.

Shawn

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never seen it either! Wow tons a movies I need to check out!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Never seen it either! Wow tons a movies I need to check out!

You will not be disappointed when you watch this. Everytime I see it coming on TV, I try my best to watch it...and love it everytime.

CM, I agree totally on the job done by Hackett. Hilarious stuff.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
You will not be disappointed when you watch this. Everytime I see it coming on TV, I try my best to watch it...and love it everytime.

CM, I agree totally on the job done by Hackett. Hilarious stuff.

The DVD is pretty good too, it has a lot of footage that wasn't in the theatrical release I believe.

Mike

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
I loved this movie...my dad did the same thing

He got it, an turned it on.

It was hilarious seeing all the people take their own routes and finding trouble!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome choice, Chickski. :thumbup:

Grew up watching this every time it was on tv.

Then we ran out and got the dvd immediately when it was released.

Great movie and very re-watchable. :D

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
We bought the DVD of this one and made our daughter sit down and watch it and she too immediately added it to her favorites list. This is a movie that still makes people of all ages laugh out loud.

Rat Race, while it was no where near as funny, still had some very funny moments. One of my favorite parts of that movie was all the guys betting on everything and anything, like the hotel maids hanging from the curtains, who could hold out the longest.

The bus full of Lucille Balls was also pretty funny.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
The DVD is pretty good too, it has a lot of footage that wasn't in the theatrical release I believe.

Mike

I wonder if I watched the extended version, because it seemed to go on and on. It was entertaining, but the same jokes get a little old when you're approaching 3 hours.

Great film! Much better than it's remake, Rat Race... (or Cannonball Run, or...)

I love the ensemble cast, you could never really do that now unless you're Robert Altman, but Altman could never make that kind of madcap comedy.

"It became well known that Stanley Kramer was casting nearly every comedy performer he could think of. Some famous stars actually contacted Kramer to volunteer for the project, or to inquire as to why they had not been contacted."

Ha, I think you're right Chaplin. It would never happen today.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent movie. I do lists on Facebook and I did one of comedies and this was one of them. Great lineup, an all star line up at that. Just full of screen legends.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I've mentioned it before but it's a favorite memory. I think I watched this movie every Saturday for 3 months in the summer of 64. The Kachina Theater in Scottsdale offered it as an early morning matinee for all the kiddies. I don't remember what it cost and we were on a very tight family budget at the time but a ticket, plus soda and popcorn for 5 boys was surprisingly affordable.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm sure I've mentioned it before but it's a favorite memory. I think I watched this movie every Saturday for 3 months in the summer of 64. The Kachina Theater in Scottsdale offered it as an early morning matinee for all the kiddies. I don't remember what it cost and we were on a very tight family budget at the time but a ticket, plus soda and popcorn for 5 boys was surprisingly affordable.
Compared to today where you need a bank loan to see a movie. You have to donate an organ to get something to eat in a theater.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA