Movie-A-Day #44: Searching For Bobby Fischer

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again - thank you RT.

SYNOPSIS

Though he's only seven, Josh looks at a chessboard and anticipates moves that mature chess players don't even see. He's a malleable young boy with an incredible talent for the game of masterminds. When Josh begins honing his talent, playing a speedy version of the game called "blitz" with hustlers and hobos, his father decides to take him to world reknowned coach Bruce Pandolfini, who claims Josh may well be the second coming of chess legend Bobby Fischer. But family struggles ensue when the mother worries that in cultivating the genius, they may be hurting the child.

Okay, I played competitive tournament chess during my junior high, high school, college and mid-adult life. This movie captures the feel of that environment extremely well - especially the side of the parents being total jerks. I lived through that a bit myself - it's unreal.

Great story imo - a very well written screenplay. The acting wasn't totally great, however, Max Pomeranc does a fantastic job at playing Josh and Joan Allen does an outstanding job as his mother - Bonnie. I think pretty much anyone could have played the part of Ben Kingsley, Laurance Fishbourne or Joe Mantegna.

Being a fan of chess, I did like seeing all the real-life chess personalities in the movie playing themselves. :)

Shawn

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great movie, I totally enjoyed it, mainly on a recommendation from you...thanks!

Mike

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie was fantastic - I've seen it like 3 times, but sadly it is missing from my DVD rack.

A movie about a kid playing chess? I don't play chess but still loved this movie. Sort of reminded me of Shawshank redemption in terms of the "mood" of the film.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by FischerKing
He wins :D :thumbup:

Shawn

Well, we know it wasn't based on Olbinski then... :D

Seriously, awesome choice, great movie. The parents in chess can be just as bad as little league, etc. :roll:

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
My ex dated the guy the kid played...she always liked the smart guys :(

:biglaugh:

you probably shouldn't have admitted that - but then perhaps you're not smart enough to know better? :shrug:

:D j/k man.

shawn

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Geez you're really dumping on me today :) We really broke up for other reasons. Now when I play Chessmaster I get to see his stupid mug talking to me :mad:

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
Geez you're really dumping on me today :) We really broke up for other reasons. Now when I play Chessmaster I get to see his stupid mug talking to me :mad:

josh? get out!

shawn

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
yeah, he's not even that great of a player..he's not even a GM is he? I knew players better than him... He just got publicity from the movie and they thought he was good looking for a chess player so they used him for the games...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Well, we know it wasn't based on Olbinski then... :D

Seriously, awesome choice, great movie. The parents in chess can be just as bad as little league, etc. :roll:
The scene where they lock up the parents cracked me up. It's probably even worse nowadays.

Great film; I really enjoyed it.