Movie-A-Day #31: Tombstone

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Sorry this is so late guys ...

Not sure what kind of reaction I'll get for this choice, but its a movie that I enjoy!

Stars: Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, Sam Elliot

SYNOPSIS: Arizona, 1879. Legendary Dodge City marshall Wyatt Earp, his wife Mattie and his brothers Virgil and Morgan just rode into Tombstone. These veteran frontiersmen hope to open a small business and settle into a quiet life. But they get more than they bargained for: Tombstone is a lawless municipality inhabited by a bunch of carousing locals. To make matters worse, the entire village is victimized by a gang of infamous outlaws. Wyatt, Virgil and Morgan may be the only formidable force around to confront them head-on.

So is this movie historically accurate? No ... not even close! In defense of this movie, for something like the fight at the OK Corral (sp?) we prefer the legend rather than the facts.

Anyways a rather entertaing movie nonetheless. The main reason to go see this movie is Val Kilmer's kick butt performance as "Doc" Holliday.

Favorite Lines(s): "You are so drunk ... you're probably seeing double"
"Well I've got 2 guns ... 1 for each of ya"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow: The Fifth Element

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Great movie!

It's funny, but a majority (but not all of course) Westerns that have been released in the last 20 years or so have been pretty good. Tombstone, Silverado, Unforgiven, Young Guns, Open Range... There are always duds like American Outlaws, but even Wyatt Earp wasn't a total waste of film. It's amazing that people consider the genre "dead" when there is still some good product being made out there.

As for this movie, there is some really good casting here--especially with the brothers--Sam Elliot in pretty much any movie for some reason lends some credibility to it. But the casting was so perfect--from Kurt Russell (the most underrated actor in Hollywood) to Michael Biehn, Powers Booth, Bill Paxton, Dana Delany, and Michael Rooker, the cast is terrific.

Even the minor supporting cast is amazing: Charlton Heston, Dana Wheeler-Nicholson (as Mattie), Billy Bob Thornton and Billy Zane. For film historians, Harry Carey Jr. played the sheriff of the town Fred White--he played in dozens of Westerns back in the the 50s and beyond--most notably he was in the Searchers.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I'm your huckleberry."

Loved this movie, one of the best westerns I've seen.

Of course, most of what I ever remember from it is Doc Holliday.

Mike

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"You're a daisy if you do" - what a great movie. Probably one of my all-time favs. This movie was done so well imo.

There was great casting, great script, great filming - I love everything about this movie. Good pick again. :) :thumbup:

Shawn

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
By far my favorite Val Kilmer performance. He should have won an oscar for Best Supporting Actor for that role. He hit that role right on the head.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally a movie I feel qualified to respond to.

This is one of my favorite movies of all time, not just westerns of all time!

Like I stated in my Ignored acting performance thread Val Kilmers role in this movie was absolutely incredible. He certainly did not get any Oscar attention which is a real shame.

I also felt that Kurt Russells performance was extremely good, the scene where his face gets all red and he yells "you asked for it you got, you go back and tell him the laws coming, you tell him Im coming and hells coming with me, Hells coming with me you hear! HELLS COMING WITH ME!!!!! What a great scene and great acting on Russells part!

:thumbup:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Suns_fan69
By far my favorite Val Kilmer performance. He should have won an oscar for Best Supporting Actor for that role. He hit that role right on the head.

Ditto!

Kilmer was awesome in this movie. I love when he does the tricks with the cup instead of a gun.

One of the few westerns that I don't mind watching.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great cast, great movie.

I am a huge fan of Westerns, so this is definitely my kind of movie.

{SPOILER, as if someone somehow didn't see this movie yet...}
I have mentioned this before - I saw this movie with a couple of friends of mine in a crowded theater. In the scene after Morgan gets shot, Wyatt (Russell) repeatedly yells "Morg!" to which my friend Thad says "That's where he's headed!" and the entire audience cracks up laughing at a serious moment in the film...it was very odd.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, just watched this movie last night for about the 8000th time. Echoing others...GREAT Western. Michael Biehn is an actor I don't think gets the credit he deserves (and how many movies are he and Paxton in together) and did a great Johnny Ringo. Kilmer did amazing as well.

Nobody mentioned Powers Boothe either and I thought he did a fine job as well.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The ironic thing about this movie is that the studios had zero faith in it...and it was one of those movies not allowed to be screened by critics. Just goes to show that the studio execs don't always no a winner when they see them.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"you gonna do something or just stand there and bleed"

Did Clint Eastwood use that line in Pale Rider or Josey Wales?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
"you gonna do something or just stand there and bleed"

Did Clint Eastwood use that line in Pale Rider or Josey Wales?

Josey Wales is the best ever IMO.

"We got ourselves the Josey Wales"

"I got this piece of rock candy. But it ain't for eatin'. It's for lookin' through."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The ironic thing about this movie is that the studios had zero faith in it...and it was one of those movies not allowed to be screened by critics. Just goes to show that the studio execs don't always no a winner when they see them.

Except Disney DID greenlight the film, so don't forget about that.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josey Wales is the best ever IMO.

"We got ourselves the Josey Wales"

"I got this piece of rock candy. But it ain't for eatin'. It's for lookin' through."
HarleyRider approves this message.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take out that irritating scene when the actress and Earp go horseriding and you've got a great flick.

Thank goodness for FF.
Agree. Plus the actress playing Urp's wife is turrible.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave