Most Famous Player You´ve Randomly Run into out in Public

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Back about 1970 I took my mom to dinner at a small health food vegetarian restaurant in west Hollywood named HELP. While eating I looked up and saw this tall extraordinary looking man dressed to the nines come in and walk right past our table. I had never seen anyone look so handsome and dressed so fine. My Mom didn´t seem to know who it was, which surprised me, he being her favorite actor. I had to tell her it was Sidney Poitier.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Charles Barkley and Roy Green at Chilis in Tempe before a Cards game

Dan Marley and fiancé at the time at Olive Gardens at Metro Center also played softball against him

Mark West is a neighbor 12 houses away

Cedric Ceballos used to be a neighbor (maybe 20 houses away)

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wendy got tickets for us to Matt Leinarts Super Bowl private party. The only red carpet event I have ever been to. I have no idea how two fans got into this but apparently my wife is much more likable than I am.

Everything went to Phoenix Children's Hospital. Apparently Leinart went there every week to visit with the kids and it was never publicized. There were tons of pictures of him with sick kids. It was beautiful and sad at the same time. He told everyone how important the hospital was and was selling a bunch of stuff for the hospital.

At the time I had thought that Leinart was this spoiled hot tub douche and man I was wrong. It taught me that what you read isn't everything

We hung out with Kurt most of the night because he was just a guy. He wore jeans and a jean jacket to a black tie affair. Hilarious.

Jurecki was there and he was really approachable. We talked Cards for like an hour and he wasn't a dick at all. I wonder what happened to that guy.

I ran into Wisenhunt and thanked him for getting us to 8-8 for the first time in a decade and he legit got pissed and told me how 8-8 is never good enough. He was taking us to the Superbowl.

I had a drink with Stephen Jackson and asked him how much he liked Scottsdale. I told him we would love him here. He laughed and said "You guys got Edge you don't need me". Turns out we totally did.

The bar was an open one obviously and I had a glass of Hennessey with the Buffalo Bills offensive line. I thought, any of these guys could just pick me up and eat me.

Finally for dinner Wendy and I were sat at the kicker table. Hilarious!! It was Player and Rackers. Rackers wife was really pretty but super insecure. She ranted about how she hated him winning the most handsome guy in the NFL and was mad some "bitch" was wearing her husbands jersey on TV.

I told Player how he great he was as a punter. How maybe his leg isn't what it was 10 years ago but he could coffin corner it all day. Leg isn't everything but limiting the returns is super important and I appreciate it. Rackers laughed and told me I should be an agent.

After that I sat with Adub and we talked about his up coming contract.

None of this is remotely exaggerated. You can ask @Jersey Girl
I wasn't more likable than you. Just bid on tickets to the party and managed to score some.

And, yes, this is all a true story.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was working at Toys R Us in South Jersey and Andre Waters came in. Some crap fans were giving him hassle, calling him, "Dirty Waters." I didn't always like how he played, but he deserved to Christmas shop in peace. The dudes giving him hassle were kicked out.

Reggie White and his fam used to grocery shop at the grocery store I worked at in high school. Really nice fam.

Ron Jaworski used to have golf course in South Jersey and a bar called the Eagles Nest. We'd go there for MNF and Ron was always there. He'd have a lot of swag to give away at halftime. He was always a great guy.

Met Jerome Bettis at an event I worked at the NJ State Aquarium. Good dude.

Met Bernie Parent outside a TCBY back in the day. Totally random.

Like Chris said, met a ton of players at the Big Red Rage. Am still mad at myself that I didn't ask Larry for a picture at the BRR where there were only 10 of us there. Didn't want to bother him. So stupid.

Best story, which some of you know, was when I came out to see the Cards play the Pats back in the 90s. Jake was out because he had broken his finger when it got caught in someone's helmet in a previous game. After the game I was waiting for the players outside and kinda got swept in to the players' family area outside of Sun Devil Stadium. It was super cool. Was wearing a Wadsworth jersey. Andre came up to me and said, "Nice jersey." I asked, "Mind signing it?" As he was signing it, he said, "So, are you related to someone here?" I said, "No, but I came all the way from New Jersey to watch you guys play." He said, "Cool," and let me stay.

I've got other stories, but these are some of my favs.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lee Trevino and John Brodie at a senior golf tourney in Vegas

Sweet D

Reaction score
I met Jessie Owens while trick-or-treating . . . and then went back in the day-time to see his trophy/medals wall.

Flew with Jim McMahon. Had him sign my Private Parts book by Howard Stern (only thing I had with me).

I met Walter Davis while on the beath in North Carolina.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wendy got tickets for us to Matt Leinarts Super Bowl private party. The only red carpet event I have ever been to. I have no idea how two fans got into this but apparently my wife is much more likable than I am.

Everything went to Phoenix Children's Hospital. Apparently Leinart went there every week to visit with the kids and it was never publicized. There were tons of pictures of him with sick kids. It was beautiful and sad at the same time. He told everyone how important the hospital was and was selling a bunch of stuff for the hospital.

At the time I had thought that Leinart was this spoiled hot tub douche and man I was wrong. It taught me that what you read isn't everything

We hung out with Kurt most of the night because he was just a guy. He wore jeans and a jean jacket to a black tie affair. Hilarious.

Jurecki was there and he was really approachable. We talked Cards for like an hour and he wasn't a dick at all. I wonder what happened to that guy.

I ran into Wisenhunt and thanked him for getting us to 8-8 for the first time in a decade and he legit got pissed and told me how 8-8 is never good enough. He was taking us to the Superbowl.

I had a drink with Stephen Jackson and asked him how much he liked Scottsdale. I told him we would love him here. He laughed and said "You guys got Edge you don't need me". Turns out we totally did.

The bar was an open one obviously and I had a glass of Hennessey with the Buffalo Bills offensive line. I thought, any of these guys could just pick me up and eat me.

Finally for dinner Wendy and I were sat at the kicker table. Hilarious!! It was Player and Rackers. Rackers wife was really pretty but super insecure. She ranted about how she hated him winning the most handsome guy in the NFL and was mad some "bitch" was wearing her husbands jersey on TV.

I told Player how he great he was as a punter. How maybe his leg isn't what it was 10 years ago but he could coffin corner it all day. Leg isn't everything but limiting the returns is super important and I appreciate it. Rackers laughed and told me I should be an agent.

After that I sat with Adub and we talked about his up coming contract.

None of this is remotely exaggerated. You can ask @Jersey Girl
Dude, oh my God, I was at this, I got invited. I was literally 21 years old. I came with my best friend, and we were both pretty good looking dudes at the time, so everyone assumed we were friends with Nick Lachey, even though that's not where the invite came from. We halfway knew Leinart from an NFL friend of ours, and while we weren't guests of the hour, just being around that age, decent looking, and stylishly dressed gave us a bunch of street cred.

I'm completely shocked, because our experiences were so similar. I came over and talked to Kurt, took a picture, and he was so kind. I'll be honest, I kinda thought I was getting a picture with a special player whose career was all but done. And right after, I said hi to Matt and told him he'd win us the Super Bowl next year. I have consecutive pics with both of them. It's the silliest take I've ever had. I dismissed Kurt Warner.

Our takes align even more, though. Whisenhunt's family has a military connection to mine, where we all knew each other, which I'll leave vague, and so we had a great chat, good dude. Russ Grimm was the absolute best, just a perfectly awesome guy taking a Hog pic for my dad that was a huge Skins fan. His wife was amped that I sought him out and knew who he was. What a gracious and awesome human.

I'll never publicly besmirch anyone, but one television journalist from the time was a complete ******* when I just tried to say hi, and it wasn't anyone that's relevant anymore. A past premiere QB just shot me down the second I made eye contact.

But let's talk the nicest human in the world, Steven Jackson, because he is owed something extra special. I'm gonna quote this.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm gonna quote this.

Steven Jackson is basically the kindest player of all time. As I've implied, I'm no one of real importance. My best buddy, who I brought to the party, walks up to Jackson, and asks for a picture, because he's a huge fan. Steven declines, and says he'll come find us.

We saw it as a totally fair thing, and we went on our way. Can't fault him, but we'd never see him again, right?

Later in the night, he emerges from the crowd to talk to my friend, remembering he wanted a picture. In the friendliest of conversations, the three of us talked about being from Vegas, and how he and I are both named Steve. He took a picture with us, and kinda cut off his date to talk to us about our connection where he played football.

Many years later, I was at a bar late in the evening, and he went out of his way to say hi, and that he remembered me. Such a great dude.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
Alice Cooper on the main concourse of a Suns game in like 94ish.

KJ at my table in my section when I was a server at some jazz restaurant/bar on like 7th St/Camelback or something like that.

Frank Thomas at my table in my section when I was a server at Players Bar and Grill at the new Arizona Center.

Vince Neil at some outdoor cafe in Beverly Hills (I'm a Motley Crue JUNKIE, so this is the highlight of my life).

Pantera after the show - I stripped off my security shirt (I was working the show) revealing the Pantera shirt I was wearing the whole time after the concert once I made it back stage made my way into the meet & greet and got all their autographs on Pantera swag I still have now (RIP x2).

I met Metallica during a meet & greet, but that wasn't random. I won tickets on KUPD in like 98.

Did an AZ Cards youth training camp in 88 down in Douglas and met FJN, Timm, JT Smith, and a bunch of other players. Also not random. Also how I got hooked/cursed for life with the Cards.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I met Jessie Owens while trick-or-treating . . . and then went back in the day-time to see his trophy/medals wall.

Flew with Jim McMahon. Had him sign my Private Parts book by Howard Stern (only thing I had with me).

I met Walter Davis while on the beath in North Carolina.
We must’ve grown up in the same neighborhood (Heritage Heights) as we met Jesse Owens trick or treating as well (he handed out full size candy bars). Similarly he invited us over after Halloween to see his medals and we obliged. He gave autographed photos too. As cool as that was, and though I knew his name, I couldn’t yet appreciate who Jesse Owens really was and his actual importance to history. Kinda bums me out as an adult.

Far too many other stories about famous people to recall the best. Suffice it to say, I’ve been lucky to have some absolutely ridiculous adventures and encounters.

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
Oh. Deicide at The Mason Jar. Ended up going with them and my date back to their after party - at the Motel 6 on the 17. My date disappeared with the drummer for who knows how long. I'm sure it was a drum practice session. Awesome that I had to drive her home after that too.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We must’ve grown up in the same neighborhood (Heritage Heights) as we met Jesse Owens trick or treating as well (he handed out full size candy bars). Similarly he invited us over after Halloween to see his medals and we obliged. He gave autographed photos too. As cool as that was, and though I knew his name, I couldn’t yet appreciate who Jesse Owens really was and his actual importance to history. Kinda bums me out as an adult.

Far too many other stories about famous people to recall the best. Suffice it to say, I’ve been lucky to have some absolutely ridiculous adventures and encounters.
lol... gotta laugh about being a kid.
we used to shag balls for the local minor team... they would pay us 5 bucks a ball to turn them in.
One day we heard the crack of the bat, and over the loudspeaker, " aaaand Reggie Jackson sends one over center field" and I catch that ball...
I take it around to get it signed and some dude from the stadium was insisting I turn it in. Reggie comes over and takes the ball, signs it, and gives it back to me...stadium dude wasnt pleased.
I played the best baseball of my life that summer with my reggie jackson ball... by october the name was completely worn off, lol.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brighteyes ran into Reggie White in to he workout room in a hotel in Salt Lake City.

She went up and said "are you ..." As she saw the ring, apparently he grinned

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cabbage head! Oof, him and Ashley tried their damndest to ruin Newcastle! I hear he's a nice guy, though.

This was way back. When I was in my late teens and figuring crap out I worked at a big box store near Old Trafford called PC World. We had quite a lot of players come in to buy computers. This would be late 90's.

I was a bit disappointed with Bruce. Working class Geordie boy. Team Captain. I expected him to be affable, but he was a bit of an A hole.

Last edited:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Carl Lewis when I was getting my Masters at the University of Houston. I lived at the dorm with the athletes and being a distance runner, I once went to the track next door since I was limited for time one day, and by accident started running at the same time Carl was starting to run. Ran a whole mile with him and though he was not a distant runner, his form was beyond perfection, I swear it was like he glided on air and did not hear his feet touch once. Later heard that he had paid for the whole track out of his own pocket being a U of H alumni. I also ran into Earl Campbell, literally, when getting my undergraduate degrees at The University of Texas. Earl was at the time employed I believe by their athletic department and ran right into him on the upper level of the offices of the stadium turning a corner. I will never forget him saying "son, you almost took me out". He was already in bad shape from all the football injuries and sadly about that time he was probably already suffering from his painkiller addiction, but it makes me laugh to still hear him say I almost knocked him down... his thighs were still as big as my waist lol
Oh, and George Foreman numerous times when I would go for a run at Memorial Park in Houston. He would train young boxers out there

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot we used to live 2 houses down the street from Dan O'Brien US Olympic Triathlon gold medalist

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many years ago I walked into The Wildflower club/bar/restaurant in Boca Raton and this really tall guy sat next to me at the bar. It was Wilt Chamberlain (long retired). Bummed a cigarette off of me. Her owned a house at The Royal Palm Country Club. Every Friday night we hooked up and he was a "chick magnet". Good times.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, oh my God, I was at this, I got invited. I was literally 21 years old. I came with my best friend, and we were both pretty good looking dudes at the time, so everyone assumed we were friends with Nick Lachey, even though that's not where the invite came from. We halfway knew Leinart from an NFL friend of ours, and while we weren't guests of the hour, just being around that age, decent looking, and stylishly dressed gave us a bunch of street cred.

I'm completely shocked, because our experiences were so similar. I came over and talked to Kurt, took a picture, and he was so kind. I'll be honest, I kinda thought I was getting a picture with a special player whose career was all but done. And right after, I said hi to Matt and told him he'd win us the Super Bowl next year. I have consecutive pics with both of them. It's the silliest take I've ever had. I dismissed Kurt Warner.

Our takes align even more, though. Whisenhunt's family has a military connection to mine, where we all knew each other, which I'll leave vague, and so we had a great chat, good dude. Russ Grimm was the absolute best, just a perfectly awesome guy taking a Hog pic for my dad that was a huge Skins fan. His wife was amped that I sought him out and knew who he was. What a gracious and awesome human.

I'll never publicly besmirch anyone, but one television journalist from the time was a complete ******* when I just tried to say hi, and it wasn't anyone that's relevant anymore. A past premiere QB just shot me down the second I made eye contact.

But let's talk the nicest human in the world, Steven Jackson, because he is owed something extra special. I'm gonna quote this.

That's really funny we were both there. I remember Lachey now that you mention it

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Use to hang out with Ron Jaworski when he was part owner of the Albany Empire arena league. Marques Colston also. We had season tickets, Jaworski use to sit right out with the fans. They use to have all kinds of meet and greets to promote the team.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I caught a foul ball off Steve Swisher behind home plate. The Cubs played an exhibition game against the Albuquerque Dukes.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Dennis Weaver(McCloud & Gunsmoke) at Opryland Hotel in Nashville. Yeah, he was wearing cowboy boots. :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose