Most Famous Player You´ve Randomly Run into out in Public

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
Literally ran into Leonard Davis at the circle K on 24th st and Indian School. Like hitting a brick wall. Dude was a monster

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My first Cardinal game when I went to purchase my tickets, I didn't realize that was where the Cardinal practiced. I met Garrison Hearst, Rob Moore, and several other players.

But the best was we see this guy with long hair grabbing a 12 pack of beer out of a rusty jeep. We had no idea who he was and asked for his autograph. It was no other than Randy Kirk. You may ask who is Randy? He was a backup Linebacker and was so excited to give us an autograph.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has to be Charles Barkley. I was at the Phoenix Open in 1993. I stroll up a hill to get a spot and found one. I glance to my right and holy schit it's Barkley. Our shoulders almost touching. Said Hi and shook his hand. He was a nice guy that day. Signed my shirt which my ex wife threw away.

I saw Frank Sanders at a Walgreens in Tempe like 3 or 4 times. This was after he was retired. We would talk about the Cards briefly. Cool dude! He has always been one of my favorites for sure.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Alice Cooper on the main concourse of a Suns game in like 94ish.

KJ at my table in my section when I was a server at some jazz restaurant/bar on like 7th St/Camelback or something like that.

Frank Thomas at my table in my section when I was a server at Players Bar and Grill at the new Arizona Center.

Vince Neil at some outdoor cafe in Beverly Hills (I'm a Motley Crue JUNKIE, so this is the highlight of my life).

Pantera after the show - I stripped off my security shirt (I was working the show) revealing the Pantera shirt I was wearing the whole time after the concert once I made it back stage made my way into the meet & greet and got all their autographs on Pantera swag I still have now (RIP x2).

I met Metallica during a meet & greet, but that wasn't random. I won tickets on KUPD in like 98.

Did an AZ Cards youth training camp in 88 down in Douglas and met FJN, Timm, JT Smith, and a bunch of other players. Also not random. Also how I got hooked/cursed for life with the Cards.
Motley Crue and Metallica are my two favorite bands so kudos to you. Took my oldest daughter to Pantera and White Zombie for her first concert. Had her on my shoulders just behind the mosh pit.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw Blake Griffin walking through LAX, I think he'd had knee surgery not all that long ago was limping. Same trip different flight we saw Bill Romanowski berating airline employees while in line for a flight, on SW which surprised me. One year in Loreto we're all standing around waiting for the luggage line and this guy starts walking over peoples luggage towards the front, it was Eric Dickerson, I guess he only had carryon and didn't want to wait with the rest of us.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Met Magic Johnson briefly at the ASU/Michigan State game at Sun Devil Stadium the year we went to and won the Rose Bowl.

Met several Cardinals players (including Pat Tillman) and Coach Mac at football events stumping for a pro stadium to be built here.

Ran into Kwamie Lassiter and his then-girlfriend (future wife) at a dollar theater way back when. The movie they were seeing was Crimson Tide.

Met Marcus Dowdell (WR/KR) in line at the original Cine Capri for the movie Ransom. It was a sneak preview and I got his autograph on my ticket stub (which I still have somewhere).

Met Eddie Johnson, Aeneas Williams, and Vai Sikahema because they all shopped at our family furniture store back in the day.

Met Bart Starr at the preseason game between the Broncos and Packers the year before the Cardinals moved to SDS.

Several others but mostly at games or somewhere you'd expect to run into them.

Met ASU Coach Frieder in the parking lot of the old Thrifty's by my house and chatted with him for some time. Great guy.

Met Cotton Fitzsimmons and his wife at Los Arcos Mall when I was dressed in Lakers gear from head to toe. Told him all of my family were Suns fans and that they all thought the world of him. He was super nice despite my appearance that day. He took some jabs at what I had on. LOL

Ran into Jose Canseco at Los Arcos Mall also. Not a card show or anything. He was just strutting around the mall with a beautiful blonde on his arm.

We regularly see Alice Cooper shopping at the Brass Armadillo Antique Mall in Phoenix.

Will add more as they come to me.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Athlete-wise, I have a few...used to talk to Nate Newton some when I lived in Dallas - his best friend (ironically, a cop) lived below me in my apartment complex. I always seemed to run into him when I was headed out to play basketball - he ALWAYS commented on it.

I was at a party with former Cowboys player Crawford Kerr. What a complete tool.

Ran into Scott Skiles and Jeff Turner out in Dallas after a Orlando Magic-Dallas Mavericks game.

I played with a cover band at the Dallas Cowboys' Christmas Party one year - Emmitt Smith was one of the only players who paid any attention to us.

Stood next to Lisa Leslie at a club inside The Forum back in the day; yep, she's tall.

The late Roy Tarpley was on a flight I was on.

Was on another flight with Dick Enberg and the guy formerly-known-as Bruce Jenner.

I used to go to the L.A. club Roxbury (yeah, THAT one) when I lived in L.A. Some idiot girl thought it would be fun to try to pit Charles Barkley and I against each other...tried to make both of us jealous of each other...didn't work.

And as evidenced by my profile, I did play in a band for Roger Goodell's wedding in Chicago. Didn't really know who or what I was playing for, but looked up from my music stand at one point and saw Paul Tagliabue staring back at me.

I've got a few celebrity stories in my past - Jay Leno, Cynda Williams, Laura Linney, Quincy Jones, Spike Lee, Van Morrison, Ross Perot, Linda Evans, Yanni, Cab Calloway, Dolly Parton, Regis Philbin, Al Sharpton, Sharon Stone, Geena Davis, Julia Roberts, May Britt (I knew most of Sammy Davis Jr.'s family), Michael Beach, Eriq La Salle, Michael York, Shannen Doherty, Chuck Berry, Betty Ford, Shiela and Meredith MacRae, Carmen Electra, Harrison Ford, Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), Pete Barbutti, Chad Everett, Jasmine Guy, Lou Diamond Phillips, David Ogden Stiers, Ann Landers, and Dave Chappelle.

There might be others...some of the above stories are interesting; some are just random run-ins.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
When I was fresh out of boot camp in San Antonio we ran into Willie Nelson at a Bikinis restaurant (great place, check it out ;)) bought him a round of Lone Star beers and waved.