Mort on Fassel, Mac, etc

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
From Mort's Chat Today on ESPN.com:

Q) Steve, DC: It's been rumored that Fassel will be offered the Arizona job if McGinnis gets the axe. Do you think he would take this job? Is he better than McGinnis? Why would anyone take that job? Thanks Mort!!

A) Chris Mortensen: (12:13 PM ET ) I don't know that Fassel would be better than McGinnis because the Arizona organization has been a traditional loser. Their troubles run deeper than the coach. But we thought the same of the Bengals and look what Marvin Lewis has done. Now I will say that the Bengals had more talent than, say, the Cardinals have. As for the "why would anyone take that job,"...well, there are only 32 of them in the world....it is Arizona....and a new stadium is under construction.

pinnacle

Reaction score
funny...suddenly the bengals are talented (or moreso than the cardinals anyway)...The Bengals added some guys in the offseason - but you could argue they lost their best players on offense and defense (takeo spikes on D and corey dillon is a non-factor this season)...and their #1 pick did not play.

They have a drastically improved qb and it is pretty much the same wide receivers they have had - they are just playing better..

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As I've stated before....I don't usually put a whole lot of stock in Chris Mortenson's ramblings.

Since when has he ever demonstrated much accuracy in his musings of this nature?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
funny...suddenly the bengals are talented (or moreso than the cardinals anyway)...The Bengals added some guys in the offseason - but you could argue they lost their best players on offense and defense (takeo spikes on D and corey dillon is a non-factor this season)...and their #1 pick did not play.

They have a drastically improved qb and it is pretty much the same wide receivers they have had - they are just playing better..

Not to mention that the less talented Cards beat the Bengals this year!

They're better coached than we are so they play more consistently than we do. This team has played 7 games at home this year and only once lost by more than 8 points, the 38-0 blowout to Seattle. With luck or more playmakers we could be 6-1 at home. Take away 1 critical turnover in the Ravens(McAllister's pick return), Rams(Fisher's pick return) and Panthers (Pick return) and we might win all 3 games and have 6 home wins.

The problem is on the road we're a complete joke, we've had a legit chance at winning against Detroit and Chicago all year, the Ram game looked slightly possible after Scobey's KO return but then Blake fumbled next possession.

So we've been "in" 2 road games all year. the complete discrepancy between how competitive we are at home to on the road is a perfect "proof" that the problem is largely coaching, it's the same talent it's just never ready to play on the road.

pinnacle

Reaction score
Russ...I concur....I think we outgained the panthers and ravens in yardage (not sure about st.louis)..if it was all about talent - we would not be in all home games but one.. It is not like the opposing team gets all freaked out having to play at SDS - at times they have as many or more fans cheering for them than the Cardinals do...

We have some serious problems on the road..just not sure what exactly the problem is..preparation? attitude? - two things that coaching could help with..

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mort was asked if Fassell might replace Mac, and Mort used it to slam the Cardinals.

I can't dispute that, in the one category that counts (won & lost record) Cincy turned things around while we didn't.

But by shifting the answer to Cincy and Arizona & its ownership, Mort craftily did not answer the original question.

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle

Someone remind me who beat who this year head to head?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave