More Laker Love on NBA.com

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Bill Fitch has two lines about how the Suns are mediocre when not shooting and maybe they should press.

Lakers get a novel on how they are just so properly suited to this or that.

Series Analysis: Phoenix Suns (2) vs. Los Angeles Lakers (7)

By Bill Fitch (as told to John Schuhmann)

Overview:
The beauty of a seven-game series is that it will change. Phil Jackson knows that Game 1 is much different than Game 2. That's the one thing that I love about the playoffs: it's a chess game. You've got two guys here that are pretty good coaches. Mike D'Antoni is no dummy. He's won on two continents.
I don't know who's got the depth here. These two teams haven't really had a game where everybody has been ready to play.

You've got to understand that if you've got a 10-point lead on L.A., Kobe Bryant can take that away from you. He can do one of those McGrady-on-San-Antonio deals. You don't even know how it happened.

What to expect from the Suns:

Obviously, they're going to run. The nights that they don't shoot the basketball, they're a very mediocre ballclub. Shawn Marion has to continue to score points.
Phoenix can press. They haven't done it a lot, but when they have had to press and put heat on, they were very good at it. It would make L.A. change a lot of the things that they do. Smush Parker doesn't have experience, and if they forced Kobe to do extra work bringing the ball up, it would help them in the fourth quarter.

I would definitely have that in my toolbox if I was coaching Phoenix in this series. The Lakers are so good in the halfcourt, that I would test their ability to play fullcourt.

What to expect from the Lakers:

Phil Jackson is a good teacher. The Lakers needed somebody that would really get their attention during the week, on the practice court.

They've developed a nucleus. They've had a season where they've grown. They just didn't have immediate success. They really haven't tasted a lot of continuous success. They've been off an on, but he has kept them together.

They're going to have to take the game inside and they have to set the pace.

The triangle offense is versatile and they're going to have to use more of the low post options against Phoenix than they would against other opponents.

The one thing about the trangle offense is that it gives you good balance. The spacing is good if you run it right and they're going to need that balance, because every time they miss, Phoenix is coming out of there. Defensive transition is really going to be important for them.

If they can set the pace and the tempo, they're going to get really good shots against this team if they work it inside-out. Phil may post Odom down low. You're going inside before you look outside.

I don't think Kobe is going to be the one to get it inside though. He's probably going to see double-coverage a lot. Smush Parker's going to have a lot of responsibility in running the offense. Kobe's going to probably have to be a bit of a decoy for a while.

They can't afford to lose Kwame Brown to foul trouble.

Their defense has to start with how they play Steve Nash. Phil's liable to let Steve Nash go. As far as his shooting, let him have anything that he gets from the outside. Just lay off of him enough that his penetration doesn't force you to leave other people open.

X-Factors:

The Lakers have got to have something out of Kwame Brown and he's got to stay foul-free. Chris Mihm coming back is important, but he didn't look too good Wednesday night.
Brian Grant has probably got a bone to chew with the Lakers. He's been getting a lot of minutes as they have rested people. I'm sure that he's figuring that this is his last hurrah.

How do you figure Eddie House? He's been shooting well. Scoring off the bench is important for them.

If Raja Bell gets in foul trouble early, the Suns would really be hurting.

Prediction:

If L.A. can go in and take the home-court advantage away early, it could be a short story, but if Phoenix holds serve in that first ball game, it's probably going to be a seven-game series.
Lakers in seven. They might have to it the hard way.

Bill Fitch coached 25 seasons in the NBA for the Cavaliers, Celtics, Rockets, Nets and Clippers. He accumulated 944 victories and won a championship with the Celtics in 1981. He was named one of the Top 10 Coaches in NBA History in 1996. Coach Fitch will be providing analysis for NBA.com throughout the playoffs.

The only other stories on this unbiased league site are about how bad is the Suns D and how far can Kobe carry the Lakers.

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2006/series_phxlal.html

Last edited:

nowagimp

Reaction score
Another former celtic who is giving laker love. I cant stand it, what has happened to the world, celtics and lakers in love!!!

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Bill Fitch has two lines about how the Suns are mediocre when not shooting and maybe they should press.

What to expect from the Suns:

Obviously, they're going to run. The nights that they don't shoot the basketball, they're a very mediocre ballclub. Shawn Marion has to continue to score points.
Phoenix can press. They haven't done it a lot, but when they have had to press and put heat on, they were very good at it. It would make L.A. change a lot of the things that they do. Smush Parker doesn't have experience, and if they forced Kobe to do extra work bringing the ball up, it would help them in the fourth quarter.

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2006/series_phxlal.html
Now I'm not a Suns fan BUT why on earth would the Suns need to change what the Lakers do. Phoenix is good at imposin' its will on a team. if anything, it is LA who will need to make an adjustment to match the style and pace of the Suns. Plus, everyone knows what the Lakers do. They pass the ball to Kobe and let him work. All offense is pretty much generated from Kobe. Triangle offense aside. Stupid article in many spots.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Eh, whatever. Everyone's just trying to come up with something to say in order to get attention.

Look at the betting lines. Most people think the Suns will win. If these ESPN analysts had to put money on the series, that's the way they'd go too.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Eh, whatever. Everyone's just trying to come up with something to say in order to get attention.

Look at the betting lines. Most people think the Suns will win. If these ESPN analysts had to put money on the series, that's the way they'd go too.

Precisely.

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
elindholm said:

I agree except this isn't an ESPN source. It is the NBA league site.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I agree except this isn't an ESPN source. It is the NBA league site.

Well, whatever. The NBA league site wants to generate traffic too. It's not like someone is more official if he writes for NBA.com instead of ESPN.

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I guess I am just getting sick of the Lakers "star power" already and game one is still two days away.

In my obvious fantasy land view the league site should be somewhat even handed.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Maybe analysts should get docked in pay when they make a wrong prediction. Maybe then they'd let us know how they really think, rather than making ludacris statements for attention.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, you're all looking at this the wrong way. This could not have come at a better time. Nash and Marion practically slept-walked through the entire second half of the season. Now lots of people are saying they're a one-and-done team. This is the kind of stuff that should feed into a frenzied arena and an on-fire run-and-gun team. Raja Bell is going to need oxygen at halftime, right after he pukes in the locker room garbage can. D'Antoni won't be catching up on his reading list from the bench.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Guys, you're all looking at this the wrong way. This could not have come at a better time. Nash and Marion practically slept-walked through the entire second half of the season. Now lots of people are saying they're a one-and-done team. This is the kind of stuff that should feed into a frenzied arena and an on-fire run-and-gun team. Raja Bell is going to need oxygen at halftime, right after he pukes in the locker room garbage can. D'Antoni won't be catching up on his reading list from the bench.

And he's going to love every minute of it.

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
Everyone is making a huge deal about how the Lakers can give the fits to the Suns and not much is being said about the spurs and kings. Their records over the last 36 games are very similar (27-9 and 25-11 respectively) and Tim and Manu are not %100. I guess it all comes back to making publicity for the big market teams.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Gorilla said:
Everyone is making a huge deal about how the Lakers can give the fits to the Suns and not much is being said about the spurs and kings. Their records over the last 36 games are very similar (27-9 and 25-11 respectively) and Tim and Manu are not %100. I guess it all comes back to making publicity for the big market teams.

Like it or not, Kobe and Lebron are the two biggest draws on the road in the NBA. Fans do not want to pay to see the pistons or spurs brutally efficient games, or the suns laser-like passing show. These teams are only interesting to knowledgable fans, that make up perhaps 10-15 % of basketball fans. For fans that cant understand or appreciate team ball, superman in the form of kobe or lebron is most fascinating to watch. They think theyre seeing modern day MJ's. Little do they know that its fools gold, that one player doesnt win championships, not even MJ. MJ won squat without Pippen(all star), Grant(all-star) and a number of very good role players, including 5 lottery picks.

NBA.coms responsibility to its team owners is to promote $$$$$, and writing that the favorites will win does not promote $$$$.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:

:raccoon:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
I guess I am just getting sick of the Lakers "star power" already and game one is still two days away.

What "star power" ? One player?

Most of the team is made up of players with 2 years of NBA experience or less. :shrug:

OP
OP
Chaz

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
What "star power" ? One player?

Most of the team is made up of players with 2 years of NBA experience or less. :shrug:

Exactly the point.

I was talking about the unavoidable media hype associated with the Lakers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson