Morbius (Sony Spider-Man spinoff film)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Morbius is an upcoming American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name, produced by Columbia Pictures in association with Marvel and distributed by Sony Pictures Releasing. It is intended to be the second film in Sony's Marvel Universe. The film is being directed by Daniel Espinosa from a script by Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, and stars Jared Leto in the title role alongside Adria Arjona, Matt Smith, Jared Harris, and Tyrese Gibson.

Can't wait. More excited to see this than the Venom re-hash. Morbius is an old school nemesis of Spidey.

Hopefully, we see stuff from the comics sometime in the future ala:

You must be registered for see images attach

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like a weird property to chase but the trailer looks decent.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Morbius’ release date is rescheduled… again​

Jared Leto was set to give the superhero universe another go (this time switching from DC to Marvel) with Morbius on January 28. But the movie’s release date has been changed to April 1, per Variety.

Morbius simply can’t catch a break. The flick was initially set to come out on July 10, 2020, but COVID ruined those plans. Then, the release date was changed to July 31, 2020—back when everyone thought this pandemic would be a short-term thing and not something that is unfortunately still going strong. The premiere date kept being shifted around to 2021 slots, first March 19, then October 8, until ultimately landing in early 2022. Now with the Omicron variant, it’s still not looking too good for Morbius, but April seems hopeful enough… for now, at least.

Much like Sony’s Venom movies, Morbius serves as an introduction to the pseudo-vampiric Spider-Man nemesis. As seen in the trailer released back in November, Morbius is a doctor with a rare blood disease who’s dedicated his career to finding a cure. But once he finally develops one, he gains superpowers—including a taste for blood.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a little apprehensive about this movie. In the past I would have said Leto is a lock but after his Joker debacle. Like I said...apprehensive.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Morbius

Release Date: April 1, 2022
Studio: Sony Pictures
Director: Daniel Espinosa
Screenwriters: Matt Sazama, Burk Sharpless
Genre: Action | Adventure | Horror | Sci-Fi | Thriller
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for intense sequences of violence, some frightening images, and brief strong language

Starring: Jared Leto, Matt Smith, Adria Arjona, Jared Harris, Tyrese Gibson, Al Madrigal, Michael Keaton

Plot Summary: Biochemist Michael Morbius tries to cure himself of a rare blood disease, but he inadvertently infects himself with a form of vampirism instead.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was excited for this. But if they don’t connect him to Spider-Man I’ll be sorely disappointed. I don’t think he stands on his own.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen in the theater… and I’m saying that even though I saw it for free!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This was one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen in the theater… and I’m saying that even though I saw it for free!
I have been really hesitating on seeing this movie--even for free. I know he's a good actor, but there's something about Jared Leto that I just don't get... Not sure what it is.

I know Venom generally gets good reviews on this board, but I've never been enthused about any Marvel/Sony product ever since Spider-Man 3.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think it was an error to think this could stand on its own two feet. Introducing the story in a Spider-Man flick woulda made sense.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
My family and I enjoy Venom

Wasn't super enthused for this, but had time between games at an out of town soccer tournament for my son and we were already checked out of the hotel

This was the only movie that really fit the timing so we watched it

I think everyone overall liked it enough

I don't think anyone find it particularly memorable or were clamoring for more

They did leave it open for the Spider-Man multiverse, so I think this was a bit of a cash grab to introduce a new character into that world

As for the actual movie - it just didn't seem to do much.

I can't recall much for comedy, I can't recall much for suspense or build

The dynamic of the movie where you have an individual take on powers, for better or worse, then have conflict with an individual with those same powers who doesn't want to temper the worse and a woman caught between them all with the potential for law enforcement interaction was pretty much the same movie as Venom, in the same universe as Venom - just without the visuals, acting, humor or large action scenes

I definitely wouldn't recommend spending money on it or going out of your way to see it

However, if you want to see the character and spend under 2 hours on something Spidey adjacent, this is fine

I can see the more film focused enthusiasts not liking it

I think for most it just won't do too much in either direction

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose