Montez Sweat

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
awesome player. But recent news says he has a heart condition. Traditionally guys like this slide in the draft due to the increased health risk.

Question: Say we draft Nick Bosa at #1..... but then Montez Sweat falls out of the first round....do we pick him at 33 even though we already addressed the position?? Do we take that medical risk?

I think we do. The kid is a top ten talent and if he falls that far we have to make a move to get him.

what do you think?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree.... or we end up with Murray and him if the team does take the QB

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
awesome player. But recent news says he has a heart condition. Traditionally guys like this slide in the draft due to the increased health risk.

Question: Say we draft Nick Bosa at #1..... but then Montez Sweat falls out of the first round....do we pick him at 33 even though we already addressed the position?? Do we take that medical risk?

I think we do. The kid is a top ten talent and if he falls that far we have to make a move to get him.

what do you think?

Possible but if Sweat gets a clean bill of health he could end up in late 1st round.Cerainly wouldn`t be a bad idea to draft another guy to pressure the QB even if Bosa is top pick.A relentless passrush can wreck havoc on a offense.IMO the Cards need to get a couple of guys to go after the QB and a widebody presence in the middle to clog up inside.A 6`6 passrusher coming after the QB would surely disprupt the QBs play.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sweat was a guy I looked at a few months ago.

Liked him initially until I started looking at better players. He rarely shows bend (which means he can do it but doesnt). Most of his sacks were running faster than the tackle could fan out to block him. That's not going to work in the NFL.

Brian Burns is way better as are probably 4-5 other guys. Buyer beware, work out warrior.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
that would make the dline highly disruptive.
do you think sweat will fall?

No idea but with this being an edge rusher’s draft at least 1 might. Also as you said with Williams it would sort half the DLine for a while

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I think if Sweat falls to #33 for whatever reason the Cards can trade the pick for a pretty decent haul.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

what do you think?

Non issue.

The Combine Doctors are not bringing him back for a re-check.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If it's something like what was diagnosed for DaQuan Bowers or Adrian Claiborne, it will definitely drop him in the draft. Bowers just retired from the CFL. Claiborne still plays for the Pats.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the team docs clear him...and he's there 2nd round they gotta take him....the need is OL, but they'd need to take him.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The thing with the Sweat condition, he went to the Combine with the issue being known, it isn't like they discovered it at the combine. He had been diagnosed with it previously and even with the condition he was cleared to fully participate by the NFL doctors.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Didn’t Iupati get diagnosed with a heart condition too?

It hasn’t effected him.

I think Marcus Cannon, the OL was diagnosed too. Both guys have had pretty good long careers.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Didn’t Iupati get diagnosed with a heart condition too?

It hasn’t effected him.

I think Marcus Cannon, the OL was diagnosed too. Both guys have had pretty good long careers.

The fact they were aware of it in college yet he still played at a high level should alleviate some concern.

I understand teams doing their due diligence though, didn’t the Raiders have a second round pick die back in the 90’s?

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The fact they were aware of it in college yet he still played at a high level should alleviate some concern.

I understand teams doing their due diligence though, didn’t the Raiders have a second round pick die back in the 90’s?

Vikings had a guy die in camp if i recall..

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it's something like what was diagnosed for DaQuan Bowers or Adrian Claiborne, it will definitely drop him in the draft. Bowers just retired from the CFL. Claiborne still plays for the Pats.

Bowers dropped and never lived up to the hype cause he blew his knees out more than his heart condition

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Vikings had a guy die in camp if i recall..

I dont remember the Vikings player.

Had to look up the guy from the Raiders...

Leon Bender (August 8, 1975 – May 30, 1998) was an American football defensive tackle. He was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the 1998 NFL Draft out of Washington State in the second round. However, on May 30, 1998, a month after the draft, Bender died before gaining the opportunity to play an NFL game.

The Cobb County (Ga.) medical examiner's office confirmed on June 10, that a seizure disorder was the cause of death.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dont remember the Vikings player.

Had to look up the guy from the Raiders...

Leon Bender (August 8, 1975 – May 30, 1998) was an American football defensive tackle. He was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the 1998 NFL Draft out of Washington State in the second round. However, on May 30, 1998, a month after the draft, Bender died before gaining the opportunity to play an NFL game.

The Cobb County (Ga.) medical examiner's office confirmed on June 10, that a seizure disorder was the cause of death.

it was Korey Stringer...died of heat stroke.... thought it was heart related, my bad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave