Monday Ten Thoughts: Advice for Beating the Falcons

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. Thursday games---BA was outspoken early last week about them being a risk to player safety. Not sure if that had something to do with the team being "sluggish" at home on National TV (BA's word to describe the team).

2. Goal Reset---BA has said all along the goal was to win every game at home. He said today that the goal has been reset to winning all the rest at home. This time he has 10 days to prepare the team. Sure hope this week changes the tenor of the entire season.

3. BA deflecting blame a la Whisenhunt. In recent weeks he has stated that he's never had an offense take this much time to click (blame on the offense as a unit), that Carson Palmer is not blame for the turnovers (blame on the receivers), that only Lyle Sendlein graded positively on the o-line (blame on the o-line), first time his offense never had a chunk play of over 20 yards (all on offense), etc.

The ultimate responsibility for this offense is on BA and his coaches. It would be refreshing to hear that he understands this. How the players are coached during the week is a function of how they play in the game. The coaches need to demand a command of the offense from the players.

4. This Falcon team is still danged good despite their injuries. If the Cardinals don't cover this TE (Gonzales), they will lose. Simple as that.

5. Carson Palmer---shy about stepping up into the pocket because of the leg injury he suffered versus the Steelers way back when? Subconsciously these kinds of things happen. Just wondering.

At least Whisenhunt has Kolb correcting this early last season. Kolb made a conscious effort to step up and it helped, that is until he stepped up too far one time and suffered the season ending rib dislocation.

6. Hard to believe that Palmer with all of his experience hasn't really had one very good game in 7 starts.

7. Hard to believe BA and HC and coaches actually believe they can keep LT Bradley Sowell on an island.

8. How about going into the Falcon game with the thought of putting Peterson on TE Gonzalez and the Badger on Roddy White. Similar to what should have been done, but wasn't until way too late, versus the 49ers.

9. Campbell...mmm good! What an inspiring performance he turned in the past two weeks. Hopefully BA and the coaches have shown the entire team Calais' effort and will to win on tape.

10. Speaking of inspirations---here is an extraordinary student's pep talk about how do beat the Falcons, written so well by ESPN's Rick Reilly. This young man, Sam Berns, is one of our students at Foxborough High School----and the greatest joy of teaching is to be surrounded by inspirations like Sam and an NFL owner in Bob Kraft who opens his heart to those in his own backyard:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9834297/rick-reilly-special-patriots-fan

If you want to see "Life According to Sam" it airs on HBO tonight. Sam is about as extraordinary as extraordinary gets. He just scored a perfect score on the Massachusetts' State Exam in English---he is an Eagle scout---and he plays drums in the FHS marching band.

Wishing all of you peace and the highest of regards,

Mitch

Last edited:

CardinalMike

Chickens can't clap!
Reaction score
On #3, I see that sentiment a lot. I think it's a little silly to expect a coach to caveat every critique of his team with "But I am ultimately responsible". It's understood; his job is only as safe as how many wins as the team puts together.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch, Thanks for introducing us to Sam. What an exceptional person he is.

I think I'll quit complaining about all the ridiculous, silly things that bug me. Like not being able to control the Cardinals with my mind.

It's good to be reminded that people like Sam exist. And make the rest of us look like pikers by comparison.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Mitch, Thanks for introducing us to Sam. What an exceptional person he is.

I think I'll quit complaining about all the ridiculous, silly things that bug me. Like not being able to control the Cardinals with my mind.

It's good to be reminded that people like Sam exist. And make the rest of us look like pikers by comparison.

Ummmm..... :stupid:

:D

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm just beginning to dissect the Falcones.

Four things that leap out (so far):

- Ryan is completing over 70% of his passes.

- Rodgers and Snelling rank very high in receptions by RB's.

- Jones and other receivers rank very high in YAC. (White is struggling a bit this year, but still represents a threat).

-Gonzo looms large (He seems ageless)..

Implications:

- Our DB's and LB's will be spread thin covering the RB, WR's and Gonzo.

- Sic PP21 on Gonzo and Jones will eat us alive. Better we put DWash man on Gonzo, the Badge on Rodgers and Peterson on Jones.

- No Steven Jackson (!!!????) Changes the personality of the Falc running attack from smashmouth to schoolyard (with Rodgers doing most of the carrying).

Last edited:

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
3. BA deflecting blame a la Whisenhunt.

The fact that we keep signing coaches who deflect blame is a reflection on ownership. Dennis Green did it too if memory serves.

5. Carson Palmer---shy about stepping up into the pocket because of the leg injury he suffered versus the Steelers way back when? Subconsciously these kinds of things happen. Just wondering.

I think it more has to do with how much trust a QB has in his oline. When the interior pocket collapses on you enough times you stop trusting it to hold. It sure would have been nice to see how much Cooper would have helped in this area. Oh well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just beginning to dissect the Falcones.

Four things that leap out (so far):

- Ryan is completing over 70% of his passes.

- Rodgers and Snelling rank very high in receptions by RB's.

- Jones and other receivers rank very high in YAC. (White is struggling a bit this year, but still represents a threat).

-Gonzo looms large (He seems ageless)..

Implications:

- Our DB's and LB's will be spread thin covering the RB, WR's and Gonzo.

- Sic PP21 on Gonzo and Jones will eat us alive. Better we put DWash man on Gonzo, the Badge on Rodgers and Peterson on Jones.

- No Steven Jackson (!!!????) Changes the personality of the Falc running attack from smashmouth to schoolyard (with Rodgers doing most of the carrying).

Jeff, Jones is out for the year.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
advice vs the Falcons?

take refuge in knowing we're 1 game closer to Boyd/Mariotta/Hundley/etc

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Jeff, Jones is out for the year.

LOL I was thinking the same thing. Kind of defeats about half his post. :)

We'll lose this game because we should win it. Actually we'll win it because we need to lose out to really fix this team and in typical Cardinals fashion, we'll win three more games and miss out on picking Mariota or some other very good QB talent.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL I was thinking the same thing. Kind of defeats about half his post. :)

We'll lose this game because we should win it. Actually we'll win it because we need to lose out to really fix this team and in typical Cardinals fashion, we'll win three more games and miss out on picking Mariota or some other very good QB talent.

yeah...I'm kinda feeling a completely wasted (and pretty boring) 6-10 season that really does very little to help us in the long-run.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good topic about "blame" or what the NFL people call "accountability". Both mean the same in the NFL.

#1- Arians should be the #1 most accountable person on the team for just about everything. No doubt about it.

#2 - That being said, I personally am done with trying to justify the current talent level on offense. There is a severe lack of basic NFL talent on this roster. We do not have a NFL caliber LT on this roster. We do not have a NFL caliber TE on this roster. Our QB is a bottom 3rd of the league talent. Our guards are both depth/ backup level talent on a good day.

Yes. Arians is at the top when it comes to taking the blame for such a poor display offensively.

But the talent on this roster is pretty poor right now on the offensive side of the ball. I have no problems with BA calling out bad play from bad players

Sent from RM's Super phone!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good topic about "blame" or what the NFL people call "accountability". Both mean the same in the NFL.

#1- Arians should be the #1 most accountable person on the team for just about everything. No doubt about it.

#2 - That being said, I personally am done with trying to justify the current talent level on offense. There is a severe lack of basic NFL talent on this roster. We do not have a NFL caliber LT on this roster. We do not have a NFL caliber TE on this roster. Our QB is a bottom 3rd of the league talent. Our guards are both depth/ backup level talent on a good day.

Yes. Arians is at the top when it comes to taking the blame for such a poor display offensively.

But the talent on this roster is pretty poor right now on the offensive side of the ball. I have no problems with BA calling out bad play from bad players

Sent from RM's Super phone!

You were generous to the RB's. Not sure any of them is an NFL starter.

LDL

Veteran
Reaction score
yep, Merriam-Websters should update their definition for hard-luck to see Arizona Cardinals

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't know how the Cards are supposed to beat anybody with an oline of Sowell Potter Sendlein Fainaka and Winston.

That's a far cry from the oline we thought we'd have back in August

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I don't know how the Cards are supposed to beat anybody with an oline of Sowell Potter Sendlein Fainaka and Winston.

That's a far cry from the oline we thought we'd have back in August

See three other teams we have already beaten, they are asking the same questions...so it's possible :)

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
My solution for beating the Falcons is to:

1. Start Ellington at RB
2. Don't even play a TE, put another linemen on the field
3. Run the ball
4. Get Massie and Watford on the field
5. Bench Sowell
6. Activate Williams and play him
7. Start Jefferson at Safety

The more I think about #2 the more I like it. Why do you have to play a TE? Imagine what an extra lineman can do for the running game and pass protection.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
My solution for beating the Falcons is to:

1. Start Ellington at RB
2. Don't even play a TE, put another linemen on the field
3. Run the ball
4. Get Massie and Watford on the field
5. Bench Sowell
6. Activate Williams and play him
7. Start Jefferson at Safety

The more I think about #2 the more I like it. Why do you have to play a TE? Imagine what an extra lineman can do for the running game and pass protection.

Agree with all but #5. I actually think Nate Potter is even worse than Bradley Sowell. Not that B.S. is very good at this point.

I think the Falcons are very beatable IF the defense can contain Jackson and Gonzalez. With the extra time to prepare, B.A. should have a game plan to win against a disappointing Falcons team at home. I actually think 6 of the next 7 games are winnable before closing with Seattle and SF.