Monday Morning 12/4/17 Questions and Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
* Did Chris Myers really say that Steve Keim wanted to hire Sean McVay before the Rams got to him? Does anyone know anything about that? Would Keim have sacked BA to appoint McVay as HC? Was Keim actually thinking he could bring in McVay an an assistant head coach to BA? Anyone have info on this?

* With the Cardinals sinking this quickly in the NFC West, can they afford another year of BA and his "the coaches are brilliant" but the "players didn't execute" spin? I think the environment in the organization right now is toxic and it has to change asap.

* I have to tip my cap to the Rams in hiring McVay...and in McVay for surrounding himself with the best possible coaching staff. He seems so refreshingly humble and quick to offer credit to everyone around him. Still can't believe the Cardinals showed no interest in hiring Wade Phillips when he was available the year Todd Bowles left and this year. I also admire the way John Fassel wanted to stay on as the Rams' STC having served as an interim HC and being bypassed for HC job for McVay who was a senior in high school when Fassel began his NFL coaching career. Again, the humbleness on Fassel's part here is impressive.

* I was trying so hard to wrap my head around BA staying on for another year and trying to find significance in subtle changes he seems to be making---and yet---to hear his press conference last night, it became 100% clear (at least to me) for the final time that BA is incorrigible. Like someone said on the board yesterday (CardLogic), it almost seems like BA is asking to be fired so he can collect his final year's pay at home in Georgia. Does anyone think he is a lame duck this year and he already knows it? He sure is acting like it. His emotionless, matter-of-fact, redundant, put the blame on the players' lack of execution press conference last night looked like one of those friendly concession speeches from a candidate who badly lost his election.

* I have also been trying so hard to find reasons to believe Blaine Gabbert could be a good 1-2 year bridge to the QBOF, and it's been difficult to ignore all the negativity surrounding him and his past failures (which in some ways made me want to pull for him more), and yet I wonder if he has the temperament to be a good, gritty leader. He could have endeared all his teammates, coaches and the fans had he stayed on his feet on his bolt from the pocket and made every effort to advance the ball past the sticks---but it seems like his slide 3 yards short of the sticks is a symbol of why he consistently comes up short of expectations. His physical talents are obvious. Can he play with more grit and determination? I am questioning that right now, but want to see how the next game versus Tennessee goes.

* Having gone back to watch tape of Gabbert, one thing I noticed is that for a scrambling QB who is often on the move, he needs significant work on his passing technique when he is on the run. This is one thing he needs to spend the off-season improving, because if he can get his feet and timing right, he could be very difficult to defend.

* Anyone watch Jimmy Garoppolo in his first start yesterday? He was impressive, to say the least. Very poised and patient and highly accurate. It still boggles the mind to think that Steve Keim never made a play for him and all it took was a 2nd round pick.

* Unless the Cardinals sign a free agent QB or make a trade for a QB, one who could be the starter for the next 5-7 years...the Cardinals HAVE to come away from the 2018 NFL Draft with one of the top 6 QBs: Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, Mayfield, Allen or Rudolph. They cannot afford to wait any longer. It's been far too long.

* Watching Russell Wilson run around and make plays last night, did any of you find yourself hoping the Cardinals will draft Jackson or Mayfield? I certainly did. Having a gritty, mobile, highly competitive QB who extends plays the way Wilson does is like getting 2-3 shots a possession in an NBA game. Not only does a QB like that give you hope on every play, he gives you a sense that he can overcome any flaws in the offensive line.

* What do you think the Cardinals are going to do about Tyrann Mathieu and his contract...with the $5M roster bonus due this year and upcoming salaries in the $14M range? It would seem quite clear that the Cardinals need to acquire or draft a tall safety who can cover TEs, as Budda Baker and the Honey Badger are too small to do on a regular basis.

* Do you think that Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim already have a plan in place for next year with regard to a coaching change? I've been going back and forth on that one...but when i saw their faces in the locker room after the win over the Jaguars it matched the look of concern on their faces up in their booth last night. They do not look like happy campers. I think MB is going to surprise us. I hope he does. Do you think he will?

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch,

Never heard anywhere that Cards wanted to hire McVay in the past off season. Bidwill and Keim have been totally committed to BA. I just don't buy that rumor from Chris Myers.

I was at the game and very disappointed in Gabbert. I was hoping he would be a stop gap answer at QB while we develop a young qb from the 2018 draft. Gabbert has been a turn over machine. I was at the game and actually was feeling that Stanton should go in for him. IMO the Cards should not sign Gabbert who will be a free agent. He is not a good qb even as a backup.

I feel the Cards should trade up to get on of the better qbs. The Eagles and Rams did this and it was worth the cost.

BA should retire. Bidwill and Keim should ask him to in order to save face on being fired. A new coach and staff is needed. Not sure who the best is to replace him but I'll lee that up to Keim.

Mathieu needs to take a pay cut or be release. He is not worth the guarantees in his salary that take place in 2018.

Bottom line this is an old team and lots of changes are needed staring with getting a new coach.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There is no way they fire BA after keeping his team in the playoff hunt with a third Qb with your make shift oline and back up rbs. He’s not getting fired unless the team implodes down the stretch or he refuses staff changes.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch,

Never heard anywhere that Cards wanted to hire McVay in the past off season. Bidwill and Keim have been totally committed to BA. I just don't buy that rumor from Chris Myers.

I was at the game and very disappointed in Gabbert. I was hoping he would be a stop gap answer at QB while we develop a young qb from the 2018 draft. Gabbert has been a turn over machine. I was at the game and actually was feeling that Stanton should go in for him. IMO the Cards should not sign Gabbert who will be a free agent. He is not a good qb even as a backup.

I feel the Cards should trade up to get on of the better qbs. The Eagles and Rams did this and it was worth the cost.

BA should retire. Bidwill and Keim should ask him to in order to save face on being fired. A new coach and staff is needed. Not sure who the best is to replace him but I'll lee that up to Keim.

Mathieu needs to take a pay cut or be release. He is not worth the guarantees in his salary that take place in 2018.

Bottom line this is an old team and lots of changes are needed staring with getting a new coach.

Chris Myers said, "Steve Keim tried to bring in Sean McVay before the Rams got to him." I actually rewinded the feed to confirm what i thought Myers said.

Yes, Gabbert struggled mightily in the 1st and 4th quarters. It was ugly. The FOX announcers were praising Gabbert for his play in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and there were some positives to dwell on a little bit, but not perhaps to the extent of which they were going.

What i don't get is---down 13 with 6 minutes left---backed up because of another meek KO return by B. Golden---why does BA have GB taking snaps from center when it's clearly time for a hurry-up offense out of the shotgun?

BA did the same thing behind in the 4th Q at Indy with Carson Palmer and do you remember that he fumbled the snap too that turned out to be a miracle recovery.

I am with you about trading up---my top 3 are Darnold, Jackson and Mayfield---any one of those three would be exciting. I acknowledge Rosen's arm talent but i don't see him as a leader (e.g. Jay Cutler).

I hope you are right about BA retiring. By his current demeanor he sounds like it.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I can't blame Keim on Garopollo. I heard(think it was Schefter, he does a spot on local radio here every week) that no one knew JG was made available and NE reached out to SF directly to make the deal.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I heard Myers say was in light of the BA health issues they were looking at McVay. I took it to mean if he couldn't come back.

Gabbert is weak mentally in my opinion. He has wheels but has no idea what to do with them. That slide short of the first down tells me he is also lacking in another part of the anatomy.
The Cards can't pay HB all of that money. He is just an average player now. Same with what Bucannon is slated to make next year. Way too much when a guy like Bynes outplays you.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I can't blame Keim on Garopollo. I heard(think it was Schefter, he does a spot on local radio here every week) that no one knew JG was made available and NE reached out to SF directly to make the deal.

Right. Not sure either if BB would want to make another trade with the Cardinals. But, if the Cardinals offered the 1st round pick and made it clear to BB they were interested maybe a deal could have happened.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
What I heard Myers say was in light of the BA health issues they were looking at McVay. I took it to mean if he couldn't come back.

Gabbert is weak mentally in my opinion. He has wheels but has no idea what to do with them. That slide short of the first down tells me he is also lacking in another part of the anatomy.
The Cards can't pay HB all of that money. He is just an average player now. Same with what Bucannon is slated to make next year. Way too much when a guy like Bynes outplays you.

That context regarding McVay makes sense. I am impressed that SK was interested in McVay and it may mean that BA's successor is likely to be an offensive minded HC who can get the QB situation up to snuff and build around RB David Johnson, RB T.J. Logan, hopefully WR Larry Fitzgerald, TE Ricky Seals-Jones and some key additions to the OL and WR.

I haven't given up entirely on Gabbert, nor has Fitz, if you heard his press conference. Gabbert did regroup after such a shaky start...his other two starts were pretty decent, leading the team to early leads...but, like you, I question his mettle. Like Fitz said in his presser last night when asked of he was ok after taking some big hits, "I'm fine. Football is a tough game played by tough players."

Do you or anyone think Honey Badger will agree to a pay cut and a restructured deal? Does he really still believe that, when healthy, he is the best in the game at his position?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not given up on Gabbert? Jesus. How much does a guy have to show you before you realize he is just not the guy? 6 turnovers in his 7th year?!? 7 years! My God have our standards fallen so far?!?

Look I could understand the sentiment if the guy had any semblance of success in this league but damn he is the prime example of coach killer. He keeps getting chances with enough talent to get you fired.

Last edited:

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score

I dont know man. After watching SF highlights of Gabbert I think BA put the chains on him with making him into a pocket QB which he naturally isnt. The dude can scramble and throw on the run accurately. If anything, I think the Cardinals coaches have ruined what he does best and that is improvise on the run. He def looked hesitant to leave the pocket IMO.

londonpete

Rookie
Reaction score
I've been thinking about next years coaching and personnel issues and found a few variables.

Keep BA and current staff, CP and Larry stay, BG as backup .
This scenario means another very average season, even if DJ hits 2016 form.

Same scenario as above but replace Bettcher, Jones and Goodwin.

This wont happen due to BA loyalty.
Will be interesting to see if Jones gets a new contract....if he does, then I think we know who is calling the shots in AZ.

BA could possibly retire, which would trigger wholesale coaching changes.
Promoting Goodwin to HC in my view is not a progressive move.

If BA et al stay, there is no point drafting a QBOF. I just don't see him having the patience at this stage of his career to start afresh and develop a QB.

So it will be another year of the same , or completely the other end of the spectrum with a brand new coaching staff who can hopefully instill some passion back into this team.

I'd prefer a fresh start now before the Rams get too far ahead and SF improving under Garapolo.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On the Gabbert issue, I was hoping his past resume' was an aberration. But, alas, it seems it is not. I see a QB who has all the physical talent but not the mental fortitude it takes to be a top notch starting QB in the NFL. He seems to lack that instinctual, see the field and react instantly ability that the really good ones have. He has enough ability to make some plays occasionally but never consistently.

He's a back up. If a coach makes him his QBOF, his future is bleak indeed.

As for the future plans by MB and SK, I doubt they have any plans yet as to replacing BA. I think that, as the embarrassment continues, they may have to make a decision they don't want to and have to fire him. But, they may make him come in as a "lame duck" next season and fire him somewhere along the way if it doesn't improve. Even with MB at the helm you never know with this team.

HB must go. No pay cut, just a clean cut. He is done. Same with Buc.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I dont know man. After watching SF highlights of Gabbert I think BA put the chains on him with making him into a pocket QB which he naturally isnt. The dude can scramble and throw on the run accurately. If anything, I think the Cardinals coaches have ruined what he does best and that is improvise on the run. He def looked hesitant to leave the pocket IMO.

Sliding short of the first down wasn't the coaches...I don't see the good throws on the run either.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Sliding short of the first down wasn't the coaches...I don't see the good throws on the run either.
Go to youtube and watch SF Gabbert highlights. Im not seeing him do that as a Cardinal either. Thats the problem.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Ruined what he does best? What is that? Running for 5 yards? That was what he is good at, but it’s not good enough to win in the NFL. He clearly lack real field vision. How can he throw that pick to the LB right in front of him?

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Ruined what he does best? What is that? Running for 5 yards? That was what he is good at, but it’s not good enough to win in the NFL. He clearly lack real field vision. How can he throw that pick to the LB right in front of him?
Let me help you guys out. ReRead my original post and watch this:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

His first pass of the game disagrees.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
McVay is impressive for sure... However, maybe it's just me, but that offense seems gimmicky to me. I'll be impressed if, next season, or the season after the Rams are still producing points and wins at the rate they are today. The NFL is filled with some pretty smart guys. Let's see if McVay can avoid being caught by the rest of the league...

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
McVay is impressive for sure... However, maybe it's just me, but that offense seems gimmicky to me. I'll be impressed if, next season, or the season after the Rams are still producing points and wins at the rate they are today. The NFL is filled with some pretty smart guys. Let's see if McVay can avoid being caught by the rest of the league...
I agree. It also doesn’t hurt that they have the best oline in the nfl and a lot of speed on the outside to run their speed motions. Everyone in the nfl adapts like they did to chip kelly.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right. Not sure either if BB would want to make another trade with the Cardinals. But, if the Cardinals offered the 1st round pick and made it clear to BB they were interested maybe a deal could have happened.
BB may have gone to the limb with the lowest hanging fruit. 9ers desperate for QB, willing to give up high position draft order pick

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you or anyone think Honey Badger will agree to a pay cut and a restructured deal? Does he really still believe that, when healthy, he is the best in the game at his position?

If not Mathieu could be a castoff. He has maxed out in his ability and that does not meet the contract hit.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Mitch - if Badger doesn't agree to a pay-cut, then we release him... I think the more interesting question is - will the Badger be led to believe by his agent that he can get top dollar or considerably more money elsewhere?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave