Monday Evening Thoughts: Game 15

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
1. Feeding Frenzy.

We have seen how the Cardinals' defense has fed off of the energy the fans bring them at the U of P. Yet, we haven't quite seen quite the same amplitude of defensive intensity on the road---that is until yesterday, when the Cardinals needed it most. I believe that one of the main cogs of the Cardinals' defensive plan was to feed off the energy in that unique stadium. And boy oh boy---did our boys feed off the energy and off each other. They were ravenous redbirds from the first snap to the last. The dessert? Bags of skittles galore!

2. Baiting Carson.

Sure, every one of the four interceptions seemed to happen at the worst times, either taking sure points off the board or setting the Seahawks up for game changing momentum shifts and a short 7 yard field for the Seahawks' offense to end the first half. These interceptions were of the unthinkable kind: (1) 3rd and 1 inside the Seahawks' 10 yard line; (2) forcing the ball to Fitz into triple coverage, no less; (3) trying to pass out of our own territory with under a minute to go in the first half; (4) floating up a chuck duck gift again in easy FG territory.

But, as bad as these interceptions were---and as much as we want to blame Carson Palmer (who does deserve some of the blame), the honest truth is the Seahawks baited Palmer to perfection whenever he went into the quick passing mode. First the Seahawks had a plan, as Pete Carroll usually does with his defense, is to rush the short porch (away from the strong side) in order to provoke a quicker pass, and then to have the interior d-linemen and interior LB leap into kick blocking mode (hands as high as they can get) to create obscured passing lanes and possible deflections.

You see---twice they got the deflections that led to Chancellor's and Malcolm Smith's interceptions---and on the other two throws, Palmer tried to pass quicker than normal to beat the leaps on the Fitz force and then tried to lob the ball over the leaps on the chuck duck. Both balls wound up in the hands of Richard Sherman, alas.

3. The Patience of Job.

How many times this year have you wanted BA to yank Carson Palmer? How many times, just yesterday alone?

What's so wonderful about BA is how incredibly patient he is with his QBs---and with his commitment to the running game---

The reason? I think BA understands that to run the kind of aggressive offense he likes, his QB are going to have to stay aggressive and what often comes with being aggressive is getting picked off.

Honestly, I bet you that BA is kicking himself in the arse today for not picking up on Pete Carroll's baiting plans earlier in the game. I bet you BA isn't thinking the interceptions were all on Palmer.

it was BA who decided to take a shot into the end zone on 3rd and 1 in the opening possession---that was his call.

My point is---we as fans have to be patient with BA---he's a high risk reward type play caller.

Thank God BA is, because otherwise, the pass from Palmer to Floyd never happens. And if you notice---BA gave it max protection (7 blockers)---and it was a pass that no Seahawk could deflect, save the great play the young Seahawk CB Byron Maxwell made on the ball that Floyd masterfully overpowered.

4. Drawing Up a Great Play.

That draw play the Cardinals run, usually outside of the left tackle box, as awkward as it looks, is a brilliant design. What it does, first and foremost, is it forces the RDE to redirect his pass rush and anytime you can get a good RDE to hesitate or redirect an initial rush you are doing a great job of slowing him down.

Secondly, it now creates a one on one between the RB and the LB assigned to him, which sometimes is the MLB shaded somewhat to that side.

Even though on third and 7 in the 4th quarter, up 6-3, BA called it to Stepfan Taylor, it actually in that situation was a very good call. The Seahawks had been dialing up the pressure on third downs and causing turnovers, and having missed on on three other scoring opportunities, this time you could tell exactly what BA was thinking. Try to surprise them with this play---hope to convert, but at least get the 6 point lead, so that if the Seahawks do score a TD, you have a chance to regain the lead and to win the game on a FG.

Palmer and Taylor ran it to perfection---but the Seahawks are so quick to the ball they stopped Taylor two yards short. But that was OK in that critical situation. This trip into Seahawks territory could not come up empty again.

Now, you just know it was killing BA not to pass on 3rd and 7---but again, here's where his experience and patience as a coach has its greatest rewards.

5. Scoreboard Watching.

Literally during a play by Patrick Peterson. Peterson, like everyone else on the defense, brought his A game to Seattle. But, this play was an egregious brain fart on his part. You never ever quit on a play in this league and Peterson did at a crucial time no less. One play in a game like yesterday's could make all the difference, and Peterson should know better and show much better maturity.

He also decided to let one punt bounce at the ten yard line, which was downed at the 2 yard line. Obviously the coaches got after him on that one because he did come over to fair catch the next one in that vicinity.

Two bad decisions in what was otherwise an arguably flawless game on Patrick's part. So, the good far outweighs the bad.

6. Wilson in a Bottle.

The edge rushers (Shaughnessy, Bernard & Abraham) had to check their egos and stats at the gates and play contain rushes (keep their outside shoulders free)---which they did so well. Their job was to funnel Wilson into the big boys, Dockett, Campbell (2 big sacks!), Williams, Ta'amu and Rucker, all of whom dominated the interior of the Seahawks' o-line, both versus the run (have you ever seen Marshawn Lynch get jacked up repeatedly like that?) and versus the pass (7 3-and-outs).

Best of all, how about the controlled rushes Bowles assigned to Daryl Washington, where Washington could mirror Wilson's movements...look for teams to copycat Todd Bowles' scheme come playoff time. It was brilliant. Russell Wilson's home record fell to 14-1! And the normally highly composed Wilson looked more frazzled than ever before...which is why he kept sailing passes toward the sideline when under pressure.

7. Secondary School.

As big as the Cardinals' front seven played yesterday, one could argue that the Cardinals' secondary has their best overall game of the season.

Jerraud Powers was huge in this game---which is something about this Cardinals' team that is so encouraging because the players are feeding off of other players' success. There's no question in my mind that Rashard Mendenhall has become a better back because of Andre Ellington. And yesterday Jerraud Powers became a better corner because of the success Antoine Cason had last week.

Tony Jefferson played very good angles and forced the run well in the hole. Yeremiah Bell was solid.

Peterson was light's out. Cason was solid but struggled a couple of times on crossing routes, which most corners do.

There was the breakdown on the TD pass to TE Zach Miller (which remains a red zone concern)---but the TEs were handled well all day otherwise.

All in all, the Cardinals' DBs put on a clinic back there yesterday---it was pretty much blanket coverage. You don't get seven 3-and-outs and allowing a mere 106 yards passing to an 12-2 team without superb pass coverage.

8. Attacking the Seacows.

Did you see how physical the Cardinals' offense line was yesterday? Look at the way they ran at the big boys Red Bryant and Tony McDaniel. Credit Colledge, Sendlein and Fanaika for going right after those two stalwarts in the Seahawk's defense. it wasn't pretty, but the hitting was fierce. They frustrated McDaniels so much he got whistled for a 15 yarder after a play.

The off-tackle bounce play to Ellington was sweet. Did you see the textbook block Stepfan Taylor made in the hole to spring Ellington up the sideline? Taylor is a player. And The Juke is no fluke!

How about Fanaika's seal-off down block on the 2 point conversion?

Equally impressive was the play of the tackles, Sowell and Winston. Aside from a possible assignment gaffe from Winston on the play where Bruce Irvin rushed the edge unblocked and a couple of the inside twists Michael Bennett made tackles on, Sowell and Winston played their tails off in an environment versus big-time rushers where few tackles have been able to hold up.

9. Silent Might.

We might be taking this for granted, but the Cardinals handled the record level ear deafening crowd noise like true pros. Silent counts aren't easy to pull off. This offensive line is playing as one and in unison. They really are.

On the defensive end---will you ever forget the goal-line stand to end the first half? That was a gut check galore. And to have them miss the chip shot FG to boot was amazing. The Cardinals are clearly in the Seahawks' heads. Who would have ever thought that could happen in one year? Wow! Like Darnell Dockett said: "BA has been asking us when are we going to stop being punked on in the NFC West..."

10. A Cardinal In A Pear Tree

Christmas for the Cardinals began on January 8, 2013 when Steve Keim was promoted to GM. Twenty days later on January 28, 2013 Michael Bidwill and Steve Keim hired Bruce Arians as the new HC.

What we see in Arizona today is the most unified Cardinal family to date. There is a brotherhood amongst the players who individually and collectively are manifesting a true love and dedication to the game. Gone are the false bravados of teams past. Gone are the flimsy, coach-speak excuses and trite one-liners. Gone are the days when the team would take weeks off. This team straps it up every day. When a brother goes down, it's the next brother up. When a player goes sour---no one quits on him---his coaches and teammates pick him up until he gets it back right. No more hollow words. In their places are accountability, cooperation and humbleness.

To quote the inimitable Charles Dickens (with a couple little insertions on this fan's part): "They were good to their words. And it could be said of them that they knew how to keep the Cardinal spirit well, if any men alive possessed the knowledge."

"May that truly be said of all of us."

Merry merry Christmas my dear pals! "God bless us, everyone!"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-musings-cardinals-keim-doing-a-heck-of-a-job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y32QybCgFdM

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
7. Secondary School.

As big as the Cardinals' front seven played yesterday, one could argue that the Cardinals' secondary has their best overall game of the season.

Jerraud Powers was huge in this game---which is something about this Cardinals' team that is so encouraging because the players are feeding off of other players' success. There's no question in my mind that Rashard Mendenhall has become a better back because of Andre Ellington. And yesterday Jerraud Powers became a better corner because of the success Antoine Cason had last week.

Tony Jefferson played very good angles and forced the run well in the hole. Yeremiah Bell was solid.

Peterson was light's out. Cason was solid but struggled a couple of times on crossing routes, which most corners do.

There was the breakdown on the TD pass to TE Zach Miller (which remains a red zone concern)---but the TEs were handled well all day otherwise.

All in all, the Cardinals' DBs put on a clinic back there yesterday---it was pretty much blanket coverage. You don't get seven 3-and-outs and allowing a mere 106 yards passing to an 12-2 team without superb pass coverage.

Glad you mentioned this Mitch! With the naked eye, I thought Jerraud Powers played his best game as a Cardinal. He was outstanding in this game. I actually was wondering at times if Richard Sherman had changed jerseys and was playing for the Cardinals.

Not only did the line and linebackers play well, but the secondary, down two of the top three safeties, played extremely well. Kudos to Todd Bowles, his assistants and the entire defense for frustrating one of the best offenses and running attacks in the NFL.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
thanks for your thoughts! So proud of this team this year no matter how the cookie crumbles for us the rest of the way

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wonderful write up Mitch. Its been an enjoyable season and this game was the best. Merry Christmas also to you.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great write up Mitch. If this were last season, the team would have given up with all of the INT's but we didn't. That 58-0 game is but a blip and unfortunately yesterday's win was our Super Bowl as unless we get a true Christmas miracle, we're going to miss the post season.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
A true brotherhood no doubt. A lot of ego checking and just doing your own job, and trusting in the man next to you....beautiful to see...

Next man up is no BS. Tony Jefferson is a play maker!

Coaching is so important at this level; and boy have BA and staff done an incredible job.

If we get in the tournament, we will be playing at Met Life Stadium on 2.2.14.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you mentioned this Mitch! With the naked eye, I thought Jerraud Powers played his best game as a Cardinal. He was outstanding in this game. I actually was wondering at times if Richard Sherman had changed jerseys and was playing for the Cardinals.

Not only did the line and linebackers play well, but the secondary, down two of the top three safeties, played extremely well. Kudos to Todd Bowles, his assistants and the entire defense for frustrating one of the best offenses and running attacks in the NFL.

No, but he could have taken a drink from the same water Sherman drinks. ;)

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
A buddy of mine (Redskins fan) commented on the great games Dansby keeps dialing up.... and smiled when he then asked hw in the heck are we going to afford to make another run @ Lombardi with the huge number of expiring contracts we hav. I laughed and said that I still expected a Lombardi trophy this year.

Full faith in Kiem sand BA to retain those we can afford and plug the gaps left by those whom we cannot afford. We get 5-6 key folks back from IR, draft another 3-4 quality contributors, and march toward another successful run with th efolks whom remain. Not at all worried about the future like I was for the painful span between SB43 and today.

Go Cards!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Where to start with the accolades... Just too many to pass around, players and coaches both.

Great call-out of that Taylor block on the long Ellington run Mitch! Taylor is proving his worth on this team for sure!
And again, great mention of BOTH Powers and Jefferson. Each had the game of their respective Cardinal lives yesterday!

And finally, I have to totally recant all of my early concerns with BA. I think you make an excellent point about being "patient" with him. I was not early on but I can see now the wisdom of his system. And I LOVE it!
I love his patience. His commitment to the run. His desire to ALWAYS remain on the attack. I love his creativity.
Can't say enough about this team...

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yesterday was one of my top ten favorite Cards games and probably top 5 for Regular season games.

Awesome right up Mitch and I can't find a thing to quibble about. :D

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Did you see how physical the Cardinals' offense line was yesterday?

The off-tackle bounce play to Ellington was sweet. Did you see the textbook block Stepfan Taylor made in the hole to spring Ellington up the sideline? Taylor is a player. And The Juke is no fluke!

How about Fanaika's seal-off down block on the 2 point conversion?

Equally impressive was the play of the tackles, Sowell and Winston. Aside from a possible assignment gaffe from Winston on the play where Bruce Irvin rushed the edge unblocked and a couple of the inside twists Michael Bennett made tackles on, Sowell and Winston played their tails off in an environment versus big-time rushers where few tackles have been able to hold up.

There was quite a bit to like about yesterday, save the Aint's. :mad:

Both lines played lights out and for the O-Line who are very much more outmaned than the D-Line an admirable performance.

Any team that comes out of that environment with a W right now, just played their arses off!! :p :newcards:

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very astute write-up, Mitch...As always.

Having been a professional sports fan for 46+ I think the biggest key "ingredient" to winning, and it's often easily over-looked is...RESILIENCY.
As in life, things are NOT always going to go your way. BUT, if you are strong in spirit and keep fighting...and you surround yourself with those that are like-minded...things tend to work out in the end.

I've heard it said many times the difference between winning and losing is thisclose. I believe that's true.

I am VERY PROUD of this team!

...And now feel a sense of "realistic" hope...NOT simply hoping to be hoping as in so many years past.

...And yes, my friend, God bless us EVERYONE...MERRY CHRIST MAS! :)

Mark in SC :)

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Beautifully done Mitch. We have witnesses a new birth here in the desert. I find it intriguing that it is in keeping with the Christmas season which celebrates the birth of the Christ Child in Bethlehem. Woe be to any who ignore the arrival of the new team here in the desert. Merry Christmas to you and to all our ASFN friends.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That game was amazing, the defense never gave up or gave in one bit. Palmer gave up quite a bit but he never gave up. :D The recipe is out now, just punch the greeon in the mouth.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
What a season Mitch! Love that we beat the Seahags in their house! One more to go though. It's time we put the smack down on the 49ers to finish the season.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Nice write up....like the numbering format, easy to respond. Happy Holidays.

#2. - Yes, Palmer had some INT's, the first one was on the dude, 100%.

#3 - He is the head coach, we are fans. We are not going to show patience, LOL. :D

#5 - Agreed.

#6 - The color commentator made the observation that the Cardinals were taking "deeper angles" to the QB. Brilliant! It helped contain Wilson.

Sidenote: Getting tired of hearing "Wilson had a bad game." Yeah, because the Cardinals beat him.

#7 - Tony Jefferson, and Tyrann Matheui. Get used to it.

#8 - Dare I say it? Bruce Arians running out of the I-formation! That is WAY, WAY, WAY outside the comfort zone for Arians. What? Who was the FB ? Stepfan Taylor, who laid a BEAUTIFUL lead block on Ellingtons big gain.

Stepfan Taylor just does everything. Block, catch, runs, you name it.......well, everything except big run gains. :D

#9 - An example of good coaching.