Mom Legally Names Her Three Sons Metallica, Slayer, Pantera

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mom Legally Names Her Three Sons Metallica, Slayer, Pantera​

A mother from New Zealand has made a strong case for being the biggest heavy metal fan in the world after naming her three newborn sons after three of the greatest metal bands of all time: Metallica, Slayer and Pantera.

The woman's story was reported by documentary filmmaker David Farrier in his July 7 Webworm newsletter.

“Proud to report that a New Zealand mother has named her children Metallica, Pantera, and Slayer,” the Dark Tourist director wrote. “She told me, ‘It’s not easy raising three of the heaviest bands.’ ”

Farrier, himself a genuine metalhead, was understandably dubious of the woman's claim; then she passed along photos of baby Pantera's birth certificate. Baby Metallica's documents revealed that the boy's entire first name is Metallica And Justice For All, a reference to the Bay Area metal band's fourth studio album.

He then followed up with the New Zealand Registrar, asking if this kind of thing was even legal. It is.

Apparently, New Zealand has "no restrictions on naming babies after bands or albums, as long as the word used is not generally considered to be offensive or does not resemble an official rank or title," which could explain why none of the babies are named Anthrax.

:band:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is quite silly that you cant name your kid Anthrax, if you ask me. Government can be so silly at times.

This article popped up in my feed a lot but I have overall avoided clicking on it and found it interesting that it is "news" everywhere I look.