Mock Variance

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I had previously suggested there would be even more that usual disagreement among mock drafts. That has been happening including the odd occurrence of drafts with no skilled prospects being chosen in the first 10 picks. When I was doing a mock I deliberately didn’t view other mocks until I released mine. I’ve been fascinated by this year’s versions. RBs are faring even worse than usual. Because of pool depth, several don’t have many (if any) WRs going until the last third of round 1. My hope the Cards might get Johnson for the Edge have been dashed as he’s now in several top 10s. i have no clue at this point where the Cards are thinking, but FA will likely shape their choices.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scarcity shapes the market. Most classes are overflowing with quality WR and RB while good OL, CB and Edge (and interior pass rushers) are scarce.

There are several QB's going to be over drafted this year because of need.

If Keim felt he really needed WR a trade back with the Jets who have #35 and #38 would get him 2 top class guys worthy of round 1 picks. Or a top class WR and RB.

We might not see a top 10 RB ever again.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Overdrafted compared to what? And what are the teams with dire needs? IMO, the QB situation around the NFL is as solid as it’s been in decades.

When you account for the potential movement of Jimmy G, Rodgers, and Russ, at least a couple more teams are going to feel better about their situation in April than they do right now.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Overdrafted compared to what? And what are the teams with dire needs? IMO, the QB situation around the NFL is as solid as it’s been in decades.

When you account for the potential movement of Jimmy G, Rodgers, and Russ, at least a couple more teams are going to feel better about their situation in April than they do right now.
Once the rookie pay scale came into effect, many analysts thought we would see even more overdrafted QBs than we've actually seen.

Take Christian Ponder for example. Sure he sucked, but he wasn't overdrafted when you consider how important QB is and the scarcity of the labor pool.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scarcity shapes the market. Most classes are overflowing with quality WR and RB while good OL, CB and Edge (and interior pass rushers) are scarce.

If Keim felt he really needed WR a trade back with the Jets who have #35 and #38 would get him 2 top class guys worthy of round 1 picks. Or a top class WR and RB.

We might not see a top 10 RB ever again.
Why would the Jets trade up?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they? I was simply making the point that WR's are in over supply and there will be round 1 talent in round 2.
Dude, lol.

You’re the one that said we could trade back, which would imply the Jets would have a reason to trade up. What exactly would be their reasoning?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
early take:

if you want a outside WR, especially one with some size (6' or taller), better get one in round 1.

feels like the group of: Drake London, Garret Wilson, Chris Olave, Jameson Williams and Treylon Burks are at one level, and then there is a big gap to the next one.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
early take:

if you want a outside WR, especially one with some size (6' or taller), better get one in round 1.

feels like the group of: Drake London, Garret Wilson, Chris Olave, Jameson Williams and Treylon Burks are at one level, and then there is a big gap to the next one.
Pickens is better than Drake London.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude, lol.

You’re the one that said we could trade back, which would imply the Jets would have a reason to trade up. What exactly would be their reasoning?

Jesus. I didn't say we could trade back.

I was just using it as an example of how if Keim wants WR in round 1 he would be more wise to trade back as its so deep. I just picked the Jets as a random example to make the point.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pickens is better than Drake London.

Now this is true.

He's better than Olave too. I'm really not an Olave fan. He looks like a guy that's going to mediocre on all the testing. For me he's another WR that looks good in college that just isn't made for the NFL.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Now this is true.

He's better than Olave too. I'm really not an Olave fan. He looks like a guy that's going to mediocre on all the testing. For me he's another WR that looks good in college that just isn't made for the NFL.
I was higher on Olave last year, but I still think he's going to be a solid 2.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
early take:

I really think there's massive value in George Pickens and Justyn Ross. I prefer both to London.

(I think London goes much lower than mock drafts have him.)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was higher on Olave last year, but I still think he's going to be a solid 2.

I keep seeing him mocked to us at #23 and pray not. I'm not even convinced he's an outside receiver in the NFL.

I think he's a late 2nd.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know the prospects, so I'm nowhere near thinking about who I want us to draft. What I do know is that we need offensive weapons, or help on the OL. Not a RB, let it be noted, but we should be going offense.

I don't want any skill positions on offense in R1 or 2. I want an offensive lineman or two. I'd also take 1 lineman and one DL/CB.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I will say it seemed like Mike Evans was stronger in college. I remember a few thought he might be a TE.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This looks more like really bad tackling.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I will say it seemed like Mike Evans was stronger in college. I remember a few thought he might be a TE.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
This looks more like really bad tackling.

Who's comparing him to Mike Evans? He's nothing like. Not only in playing style / ability but Evans had about 20lbs on London.

London reminds me more of Hakeem Butler than Evans.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Olave is Robert Woods but with more fluidity.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Jarvis Landry IMO

#2 guy, would be fine across from Hopkins but I'd rather draft a guy projects as a #1 to take over as Hopkins ages out.
Jarvis didn’t have the speed, route running, suddenness, or anywhere close to the fluidity that Olave has, lol.