MLB Investigating D'backs smart watch wearing coach

Skratchy_Seal

Registered
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honest mistake or not, everyone was warned that these are banned after the Red Sox incident. :mulli:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Which Apple Watch app was responsible for two HRs and four triples?

mhill1986

Veteran
Reaction score
If he was cheating, that would be a pretty brazen way to do it after the Red Sox thing. At any rate, I can see virtually no way that using a watch gives you a competitive advantage in a game. You're telling me they can relay the information from "spotter" to coach to batter (who is staring right at the pitcher, not at his coach, btw) before the pitch is thrown? I suppose they could learn the signs through the watch and have runners on second then relay the info about each particular pitch. Pretty laughable if you ask me.

The only question is, why would the coach wear the watch in the first place?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
If he was cheating, that would be a pretty brazen way to do it after the Red Sox thing. At any rate, I can see virtually no way that using a watch gives you a competitive advantage in a game. You're telling me they can relay the information from "spotter" to coach to batter (who is staring right at the pitcher, not at his coach, btw) before the pitch is thrown? I suppose they could learn the signs through the watch and have runners on second then relay the info about each particular pitch. Pretty laughable if you ask me.

The only question is, why would the coach wear the watch in the first place?
Baseball managers and coaches have been wearing watches, wedding rings and other jewelry, etc., perhaps since the beginning. Being that they are sports' only management team that wears uniforms (and don't run, throw or hit), there was no reason not to. Until now, that is.

I, too, tried to visualize how all of info could be passed on to the batter in split seconds.

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only way it could be done is someone with a clear picture of the catcher sends the sign to the coach via the watch who then yells out a code word to the batter or has someone else do it. "C'mon" means inside fast for example. That's about the only way it can be done that quickly. Should also be fairly easy to spot unless the coach was hiding out of camera view but even then, a coach always disappearing when his team is up to bat would look suspicious. I would think that if there was any cheating going on that he wouldn't be wearing the watch so brazenly. I think he was just being careless.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard about this and was curious how exactly a watch would be used to cheat. Glad to see I'm not the only one with questions about it.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nobody would possibly be that blatant about it when the Red Sox just got busted. Gambo said he's heard through his contacts that the guy is completely mortified because it was an honest mistake and is totally cooperating with everything.

It wouldn't be too hard to prove if he was cheating or not. I mean if he suddenly becomes super interested in his watch every time we are batting, that would have been caught on camera. So until there is evidence other than he had it on, I'll wait to rush to judgement.

I just have a hard time believing that if we were gonna 'cheat' we could be that stupid about it. I'm Ariel feels terrible. Things haven't been this bad since the sea witch showed up.:thewave:

They could punish him by not allowing him to speak for 2 weeks or so?

I'm here all night guys...

Last edited: