Mindhunter (Netflix)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Brian in Mesa, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIMâ„¢ Contributor

Surprised we didn't have a thread for season one.

Plot summary: Two FBI agents, fighting the departmental stigma of backroom boys - those who try to complicate the status quo of simple Means, Motive, Opportunity (MMO) of crime-solving with academics - work to develop an innovative investigative field incorporating psychology, anthropology and sociology as a method to reveal the motive. They acknowledge classic crime-solving - MMO - as no longer sufficient because criminality is becoming more complicated as Motive graduates from need and greed to inexplicable and irrational reasons. They theorize applying deeper psychological evaluation will posit new questions. Simply, asking Why will lead to the Who. This series focuses on the development by two men, two agents, of a new criminal field and does so through story lines of visiting the sociopathic mind.

Background: The show is based on the real-life experiences of John Douglas, a special agent who pioneered the practice of psychological profiling during his 25 years with the FBI.

Trivia: David Fincher approached HBO with the series in 2013. He recalled that they weren't interested in a show about "two white guys in suits" chasing serial killers. The following year, the first season of True Detective (2014) premiered.

2. Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa BIMâ„¢ Contributor

Season Two premieres on Netflix tomorrow, Friday August 16th.

3. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Season 2 was filmed in the 'Burgh, too!

Brian in Mesa likes this.
  4. Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown I'm better than Mulli!

Really enjoyed season 1

5. RockinDaMike

RockinDaMike Rookie

Season 2 is fantastic. It was super hard to watch though, crazy what Atlanta went through.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

6. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

this is easily one of the best shows on TV. It's been a looooooooong time since Season 1, but halfway through S2, it's been well worth the wait. Only bummer is it's a scant 9 episodes and guessing it'll be another couple years before season 3.

7. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Season 2 was really good, but it was also a bit of a let down. I was very much expecting a season similar to the first, with requisite story developments, but it was kind of all over the place. In a good way, and purposefully, but still. More of a me problem than anything else. Still fantastic stuff.

8. cheesebeef

cheesebeef Registered User Contributor

it definitely became more of a procedural the second half of the season. through five episodes, I thought it was fantastic, living up to it's incredible first season, but it became a little more traditional towards the end which made it come down a notch for me.