Miller once again does it again!

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by Lefty, Sep 13, 2012.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

I think Miller still gets suspended over the lack of control stipulation but I don’t see more than a few games/hefty fine and probation. It’s interesting that judge referenced Arizona losing recruits over the initial investigation. It doesn’t seem like his place but I’ll take it.

2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

So to be clear. Under oath he said he wasn't a bad guy and only did it because he was broke. He'd spent so much of his own money paying recruits to go to arizona that he often had no money despite a good salary(250K a year).

now he's saying in the story he NEVER paid any recruit or player. Unless he just means of the ones named in the FBI case, they can't both be true. Either he perjured himself in the trial by saying that to get sympathy from the jury and judge, I needed money, or he's lying now when he says he never paid any money to kids, they're directly contradictory statements they can't both be true?

3. Russ Smith

FYI in the statement from UA's legal counsel he says Arizona is now facing the prospect of "significant NCAA sanctions" and that the NCAA investigation is just now getting underway. The 2nd part contradicts what Scheer has been screaming for months, that they already investigated Arizona and found nothing. The first part if they were the victim, no players were actually paid, and everything was just being discussed but didn't actually happen, what would the signficant sanctions be for? I can understand Book getting a show cause, he should, he clearly tried to break the rules repeatedly. Pasternack might get whacked and Phelps too.

But if Book is telling the truth about what he did and didn't do why would Arizona get significant sanctions?

4. GatorAZ

The only truth we know is that there’s no proof anyone from Arizona paid a recruit or their family. It’s certainly possible Book is lying is something but I think it’s more likely he never really “played ball” and just took guilty plea because the bribery charges were proven.

5. GatorAZ

I think some of that is Sheer being Sheer. The NCAA cleared Ayton, Rawle, Quinerly etc to be eligible but not Arizona. It’ll be a while before we know the ruling.

6. Russ Smith

Right and I agree there's no proof. I just don't see why the judge wouldn't be hauling him back into court now asking him ok which is true, what you said under oath, or what you said to that reporter. They completely contradict each other and it's apparent from what the judge said and the sentencing that he believed him. The government wanted 18 to 24 months, the sentencing guidelines were consistent with that, the judge gave him 3 months. He cited his lack of a criminal record, long career in coaching, and testimonials submitted on his behalf as grounds for the light sentence. So literally hours after that sentence Book contradicts what he said under oath. If I were the judge i would be wondering right now why did I give him a light sentence he's either lying now, or lied under oath.

Maybe the legal counsel was just being cautious or trying to play up the we were a victim angle here, maybe they really aren't facing major sanctions but if everything that Book said today is true I can't see why the would be. at worst they could get Miller for failure to monitor or lack of IC. Book says he has no knowledge of Miller paying recruits. Book says he himself never paid recruits. Pasternack left before he could act on the plan to break rules, and UA is in the process of firing Phelps for alleged rule breaking.

Just seems like a whole lot of contradictory information.

7. TJ

TJ Suge White

Scheer has never said that they found nothing. He's specifically said in the cases of Alkins and Ayton that the FBI never found proof of payment.

8. Russ Smith

he has said on Twitter they found nothing and cleared both. He said both the FBI and the NCAA had investigated and cleared them. I actually know someone who questioned him on that in Twitter and he said the fact the NCAA let them both play is the proof.

BTW just to be clear, when I say Book was under oath that's somewhat incorrect, Book was talking to the FBI as part of a plea deal with the Feds. So you can't lie to them, but he was not on trial with a judge and jury there being sworn in under oath. I consider it the same, but to be totally accurate I guess it's not really under oath.

So it IS possible when the FBI asked him is what you said on tape true he said no, I lied I never paid anybody. But we don't know that to be true either.

9. Russ Smith

Jordan Brown to Arizona

10. TJ

TJ Suge White

Could be a bittersweet situation.
    Nice to get JB, but it could come at the expense of a big time contributor....

11. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Who?

12. GatorAZ

If it’s B-Will why would Brown impact a guard or is it something else? That would hurt considering his commitment was huge for Miller.

13. 1Sun

1Sun Banned

Why can't it be Dylan Smith? Problem solved for everyone.

14. TJ

TJ Suge White

One of the rumors floating around is that B-Will’s knee hasn’t fully healed and that he may be a no-go for next year or may have to medically retire from basketball.

Another idea that’s floated around message boards is purging Koloko from the recruiting class, which to me would be a complete dick move unless Koloko wants to leave.

But much to everyone’s chagrin, Dylan Smith will be back, for whatever reason.

15. Russ Smith

That would be bizarre if it's him. Longtime Arizona kid, stayed through the FBI stuff, team is going to be loaded this year. Just Mannion coming in can't be enough for him to leave?