Miller once again does it again!

Discussion in 'University of Arizona' started by Lefty, Sep 13, 2012.

1. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Haney is a tough one predict. It’s been somewhat evident that he’s been leaking information from a federal case which isn’t supposed to happen. My guess is he’s exaggerating the context of the tapes but it may sound bad enough that Miller could be in trouble even if he’s not directly arranging or facilitating payments on wiretap. Either way it’s more terrible press for Arizona.

2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I agree he's almost certainly the source for both Thamel's stories on Yahoo and the Schlabach story, even Arizona sites are speculating that now, even Scheer is. which is hilarious because Scheer has been saying for a year that the reason ESPN got the Ayton story wrong is they were in such a rush to get the story out to oen up Yahoo's story they trusted a bad source and a bad story and ran with it. And apparently both Yahoo and ESPN had the same source! I didn't see the exchange but apparently Scheer got Zagoria mad enough yesterday that Adam threatened to sue him for libel and Scheer deleted the tweet.

as for exaggeration, as someone else pointed out, if he's in court openly lying about the content of the tape then he could get in huge trouble. It could be as simple as we're seeing now with the Mueller stuff where people see the same thing and come to different conclusions. Haney is hearing tapes and coming to the conclusion it's proof of players being bought, and someone else hears it and comes to a different conclusion, they were just talking nothing actually happened etc. It does appear though that the tape he's talking about was about Ayton so that entire narrative that ESPN confused Bowen and Ayton is out the window if that's true.

THamel and Yahoo put out another story where they talk about veteran college coaches being furious with the ruling because it basically means "I should have cheated my entire career if they're going to let these guys get away with it." Mike Brey is quoted as saying it makes it much harder to believe the NCAA is going to get this stuff out of the game. It also says the prosecution is saying the order means they can't play the tapes, while Haney says there is actually nothing in the order against playing the tapes, it's only about testifying.

Next week could still be interesting but I still think right now it seems unlikely Wade and Miller are going to be in any trouble from this trial.

3. Russ Smith

Meanwhile the beat rolls on Nike err Duke just got Matthew Hurt and is apparently about to get Cassius Stanley who oddly seems to suddenly be down to all Nike schools. Was really hoping some of the stuff Avenatti shared would at least slow the Nike steering kids to Duke train for one year.

4. GatorAZ

17 one and dones since Kyrie being the first in 2011 and only one F4 to show for it (granted they won the title)... You know Coach K hates this era but he’s pulling in the #1 class every year and is the new Cal.

5. Russ Smith

That's the irony what he and Cal are doing is not winning them titles. You do wonder how Coach K rationalized reporting Shabazz because he did NOT pick Duke and then getting all these kids paid money to go to Duke and he freely takes them.

My biggest hope from the start of this whole FBI story was somehow Duke and UK would get nailed, sure doesn't seem like it

6. Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach Feel Bad For Tate

Duke, UK, and UNC will never be held accountable. Maybe Michigan State or Kansas. But no east coast blue bloods. That’s not on the agenda

7. GatorAZ

Book is now on record claiming Miller paid Ayton out of his pocket. I can’t really see that happening but the damage is done and Miller/AZ are still not responding to anything. Even though CBB is a nasty business there’s no excuse for Miller keeping Book on staff and that’s the head coaches call. The warning signs were there before this investigation started.

8. TJ

TJ Suge White

This shows that Miller is a fool for keeping Book on his staff. Book should've been clipped when it was found out that he was PGU's source for inside information.

That said, the FBI has investigated Miller and the UofA basketball team for two years, raided Miller's house, subpoenaed computers, and thoroughly researched financial records. If what Book is alleging is true, why didn't it come up in this investigation? Either Miller is really good at paying players under the table or Book Richardson is full of it. We know at this point that Book went rogue on Miller for about a year or so.

What I find fascinating is that Book claims he went broke paying players out of his pocket. If that's true, he's an idiot. If not, he's trying to scam con artists.

This whole thing is bizarre. At the end of the day, the optics are bad.

9. TJ

TJ Suge White

Christian Dawkins just testified that he made up a recruit to pocket money for himself. This guy and his attorney are the biggest idiots on the planet.

10. Russ Smith

That came out last week in testimony, he just confirmed it.

It's somewhat misleading but agreed it's stupid and greedy. It was him and Preston Murphy the assistant at Creighton. The player was Marcus Phillips, who doesn't exist, but Creighton did have Marcus Foster. The reason the defense is bringing this up is they're trying to show that Dawkins wasn't bribing assistant coaches into violating the honest services clause in their contract. That is they were only breaking NCAA rules becuase he was bribing them to do so. That's why they're trying to show that the assistants were breaking rules years before Dawkins was involved, that Miller (in their opinion) was breaking rules despite not being paid at all by Dawkins, and that in this case they literally invented a player to scam 6K out of Blazer and the FBI undercover agent(that they didn't know was FBI).

So his admitting this is not stupid, it's part of his defense plan, we were not bribing people we were trying to make money. There was also some discussion that if Blazer or the undercover guy ever found out Phillips didn't actually exist, they were going to tell him it was Foster, you must have heard us wrong, and then say unfortunately that kid never made the NBA(they had said Phillips was a first rounder for sure).

I think Dawkins is guilty as hell but I think Haney is right on THIS part of the case, coaches have been breaking NCAA rules for years. If you followed last weeks testimony Book said on one of these tapes that he outbid an SEC school for a kid from Louisiana and got him several years ago but the kid wound up transferring and he found out later Lil Wayne was involved somehow in the recruitment. That kid was of course was Craig Victor who committed to Arizona in 13 and transferred mid freshman year to LSU. Christian Dawkins was a 20 year old AAU director when Victor was being bought by Book(according to Book's own statements). So his entire defense is this guy Book was buying players as early as 2013 by his own admission(he apparently admitted as far back as 2010) and I wasn't paying him a penny then. I wasn't bribing him to violate his contract he'd been doing that for years.

Where Dawkins case falls apart IMO is that the reason he was paying Book is he wanted access to players so he could make money off them if they made the NBA, which IMO is still bribery, just not the kind of bribery the FBI alleged in that one charge.

In one of the later reports today on Twitter Dawkins is quoted as saying the money he got from the FBI(he didn't know they were FBI) he deposited in his business' bank account. He didn't want to bribe assistants because he knew they had no say for the most part, kids already had agents by that time and the only coaches who could control them were head coaches and they made so much money they didn't need to be paid they just needed the agent to help them get kids to their school. He told the FBI guy if you want to pay coaches just to be Santa Claus go ahead but it makes no business sense. Again he is trying to counter the bribery part of the charges.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  11. GatorAZ

I really don’t know what Haney is doing at this point. It’s like he’s trolling his own client trying to make him look worse by the day. Tomorrow is supposed to be the last day and we still haven’t heard Miller’s voice or seen his texts messages. From what I’ve gathered it’s not because the judge won’t allow it either...

12. Lefty

Lefty Registered

13. Russ Smith

My theory from Yesterday is the tape played yesterday probably is the Schlabach tape. He wrote 100K and they have Miller on tape talking to Dawkins. The actual tape is Book talking to Dawkins about Miller paying 10K a month to ayton. If you do the math June to March 10K a month equals 100K. So unless they unveil the actual tape soon my guess is Schlabach was given details of the tape played yesterday but the details were not totally accurate so 10K a month and Book became 100K and Miller on tape?

14. Lefty

Lefty Registered

They are all done today and tomorrow they begin the closing arguments. No tape recording of Miller paying Ayton. I know it won't happen but Schlabach needs to be fired

15. TJ

TJ Suge White

Sounds like barring a last-minute change of heart, Terry Armstrong is decommitting