Mike Hazen, the Red Sox GM, has been selected as the Exec VP and GM for the Dbacks

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Presumably he'll have near autonomy on roster decisions, or else he would have had no reason to leave a team with three times the budget (he had to answer to a president of baseball operations in Boston, so he didn't have final say)

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This, on paper, seems like a surprisingly great move. We'll see.
Too bad LaRussa doesn't seem to want to manage anymore. That was his strong suit, not necessarily front office construction.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Feel bad that Hazen still has the La Russa in the organization. Was hoping they'd clean house.
If Hazel had a problem with the new role that La Russa is going to have he wouldn't of taken the job.

OP
OP
A

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think there is any way that Hazen would have taken the job if he didn't have final say. My guess is that La Russa will be available as an advisor at most but won't be able to veto anything that Hazen wants to do.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't think there is any way that Hazen would have taken the job if he didn't have final say. My guess is that La Russa will be available as an advisor at most but won't be able to veto anything that Hazen wants to do.
Why should Hazen even have to consider anything that Tony La Russa says. His only proven skill was as a Field Manager. I can think of no good that Tony's staying would provide. Just stepping on others' toes.

And after dumping the key people under him, it will remain a partially dysfunctional situation until he moves on. Or back. It will be dysfunctional enough with Ken Kendrick remaining as Managing General Partner.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Why should Hazen even have to consider anything that Tony La Russa says. His only proven skill was as a Field Manager. I can think of no good that Tony's staying would provide. Just stepping on others' toes.

And after dumping the key people under him, it will remain a partially dysfunctional situation until he moves on. Or back. It will be dysfunctional enough with Ken Kendrick remaining as Managing General Partner.

Yeah it would just be a better look to completely clean house before bringing in an entirely new regime. Kendrick tried to do the same thing after firing KT by possibly reassigning him and Towers declined.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On paper I'm sure this looks like a good hire and baseball analysts are applauding the D'Backs but I am skeptical about BOS GM's not named Theo Epstein (see Josh Byrnes). He was the GM in BOS but like our situation here everything ran through President of Baseball Operations, Dave Dombrowksi so not sure what moves if any Hazen should get credit with.

If Rizzo wasn't a real option then fine whatever, will take a wait and see approach before getting my hopes up.

Hazen's biggest obstacle is how to improve this team (pitching staff notably) with little to no options on going about it. ARZ obviously does not have John W Henry money so he won't be able to go and buy what he needs (ironically pitching FA market is lacking this year). The farm has very little in terms of MLB ready talent so trading for immediate help will be a big challenge. He is going to have to KNOCK IT OUT THE PARK with the draft the next couple of years. But I don't see this team winning more than 80 games next year and that would be an 11 game improvement so if they don't improve this team we could possibly see another sub 70 win season.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
young buck sounds excited to get the keys for the first time, let's see what he can do..

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
On paper I'm sure this looks like a good hire and baseball analysts are applauding the D'Backs but I am skeptical about BOS GM's not named Theo Epstein (see Josh Byrnes). He was the GM in BOS but like our situation here everything ran through President of Baseball Operations, Dave Dombrowksi so not sure what moves if any Hazen should get credit with.

If Rizzo wasn't a real option then fine whatever, will take a wait and see approach before getting my hopes up.

Hazen's biggest obstacle is how to improve this team (pitching staff notably) with little to no options on going about it. ARZ obviously does not have John W Henry money so he won't be able to go and buy what he needs (ironically pitching FA market is lacking this year). The farm has very little in terms of MLB ready talent so trading for immediate help will be a big challenge. He is going to have to KNOCK IT OUT THE PARK with the draft the next couple of years. But I don't see this team winning more than 80 games next year and that would be an 11 game improvement so if they don't improve this team we could possibly see another sub 70 win season.

I like this hire. He was the director of development for the sox and then became the vice president of player development and amateur scouting. The Red Sox have one of the best farm systems in MLB. They have made big signings but also hit on home grown talent like Mookie Betts, Xander Boegarts, and jackie bradley jr. I hope it is true that Kendrick and Hall have given this guy personell control.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I like this hire. He was the director of development for the sox and then became the vice president of player development and amateur scouting. The Red Sox have one of the best farm systems in MLB. They have made big signings but also hit on home grown talent like Mookie Betts, Xander Boegarts, and jackie bradley jr. I hope it is true that Kendrick and Hall have given this guy personell control.
That's key moving ahead. Look at what SF has "home grown". We need to develop the talent, not trade it away, the way we've been doing. There is no other way. The Miller trade put this franchise back 2 yrs. perhaps.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
SF didn't win anything until they paid off their stadium (without public assistance) and were able to go into the free agent market to shore up their team. Yeah, they are well run, but have they have the $$$ to go out and pay for the pieces needed. That is the secret to their recent success.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose