Mike Evans TD

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone besides me that thinks this shouldn't have been a TD?

Let me start over by saying the throw was amazing. It was one of the few good throws that Winston made yesterday. PP didn't play it that poorly either.

My problem with this is the stupid catch rule. Peterson pushed him as he caught the ball. He took 2 steps out of bounds, tripped over the camera man and lost the ball on the way down. According to this stupid rule, PP made contact with him and so he needed to complete the process of the catch all the way to the ground and he did not.

You can find the video here

This should be a TD, but according to the catch rule, I don't think that it is. Thoughts?

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was the right call, only bc the cameraman came into play. It looked like he lost it after he hit the cameraman. This TD should have never happened in the 1st place if PP can catch a ball thrown right at him for an Int earlier in this drive.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was the right call, only bc the cameraman came into play. It looked like he lost it after he hit the cameraman. This TD should have never happened in the 1st place if PP can catch a ball thrown right at him for an Int earlier in this drive.

I would think that the cameramen, along with the refs are a part of the action. If you run into the back judge catching a ball and drop it on the way down lets say, that wouldn't be a catch.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the catch rule get revised and/or corrected from the mess it was last year? (or was it 2 years ago?). Anyways, I say it's a touchdown. Better video below

http://video.nfl.com/films/2016/NFL..._tb_winston_evans_19_yard_td_603921_5000k.mp4

I think they updated the wording but not the rule.

Throw in the fact that there was a choreographed celebration that wasn't flagged and the stupid out of bounds play.

At least the refs didn't screw us as bad as in the Cin - Pit game.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think they updated the wording but not the rule.

Throw in the fact that there was a choreographed celebration that wasn't flagged and the stupid out of bounds play.

At least the refs didn't screw us as bad as in the Cin - Pit game.

Refs have missed a ton the first 2 weeks of the season, in all games it seems.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My problem with this is the stupid catch rule. Peterson pushed him as he caught the ball. He took 2 steps out of bounds, tripped over the camera man and lost the ball on the way down. According to this stupid rule, PP made contact with him and so he needed to complete the process of the catch all the way to the ground and he did not.

Nope, Evans took a couple steps in bounds and a couple more out of bounds before tripping over the camera man and dropping the ball. He was not going to the ground in the process of making the catch. If a player has to dive to catch the ball, and the ball comes out when the player hits the ground, THEN it's not a catch.

...dbs

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nope, Evans took a couple steps in bounds and a couple more out of bounds before tripping over the camera man and dropping the ball. He was not going to the ground in the process of making the catch. If a player has to dive to catch the ball, and the ball comes out when the player hits the ground, THEN it's not a catch.

...dbs

Yep, sounds about right.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

...dbs
This is what's key here.

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made mention of this very thing in the game day thread, tongue and cheek of course. But hey I'm not sure if I really understand what a catch is or is not anymore. I'm sure the NFL doesn't.

Exactly my point. The rule is so convoluted and up for interpretation.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that after he demolished the cameraman, he didn't check on him or help him up?? Lol savage

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Did anyone notice that after he demolished the cameraman, he didn't check on him or help him up?? Lol savage

Yes. I thought that was pretty rude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did notice that, and wondered how many other players in the league would have done the same.

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Is there anyone besides me that thinks this shouldn't have been a TD?

Let me start over by saying the throw was amazing. It was one of the few good throws that Winston made yesterday. PP didn't play it that poorly either.

You can find the video here

This should be a TD, but according to the catch rule, I don't think that it is. Thoughts?

PP had a good game. That was a great throw by Winston. However, that was poor coverage by PP on that one play.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PP had a good game. That was a great throw by Winston. However, that was poor coverage by PP on that one play.

Have to give credit to Evans as well. Completely turned around the other way to make that catch. Kind of messed up that he didn't help the cameraman. Could not see Fitz plowing over someone and then not make an attempt to a least make sure they are ok. Difference between Cards players and other teams (for the most part)

OP
OP
dreamcastrocks

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have to give credit to Evans as well. Completely turned around the other way to make that catch. Kind of messed up that he didn't help the cameraman. Could not see Fitz plowing over someone and then not make an attempt to a least make sure they are ok. Difference between Cards players and other teams (for the most part)

Same. His coverage wasn't up to PP's own standards but that was essentially a back shoulder throw. It was either an amazing throw or a really poor one that ended up in the only place that Evans could catch it and PP had no chance. Considering how poor his game was, I may have to reconsider.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I did notice that, and wondered how many other players in the league would have done the same.

I see it alot and not many care or check on who they ran over.