Michael Bidwill, where are you?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And Urban Meyer! And Chip Kelly!

Not looking great for Matt Rhule, either.

Success in college
Again when looking at kliff I’m not discussing success or lack thereof in college (until the last post bc krang brought that into the discussion), I’m talking patterns. NINE years is a long time to watch a coach slide without exception. NINE years is a significant data set to show failure in the biggest games . . . at both levels.

So what is anyone hanging their hat on in terms of kliff’s ability to elevate a team in big games? Because we haven’t seen a single example of him having done so. It is literally just hoping that the leopard magically changes his spots.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Not that much of trusted source but that is messed up if true regardless of how the game played out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think that anyone's saying that having a losing record in college is indicative that Kingsbury will have success in the NFL. I do think that a lot of people were saying at the time that his consistent record of excellent offenses at the college level was a good reason to think he'd be successful at the next level.

I think at this point, we can say the results of that experiment have been mixed.

We have three seasons of pro experience on Kingsbury at this point, which IMO is more than enough to start drawing some conclusions on. I think he's a good learner and an even-keeled dude. I think he works hard to get better, but like his quarterback he had a lot of catching up to do to his NFL peers.

It seems to me like Kingsbury does his homework each offseason to get better at the most critical areas. Hopefully this season he focused on situational football and the two-minute offense — areas where we were very, very bad this season.
I think his greatest shortfall is ultimately in the leadership realm. Great that he can learn nuts and bolts, but if you’re not a leader that effectively inspires your team, that readys them for the big moment, you have a ceiling. I think kliff is that guy. In every big game we come out flat and look unprepared. Or too geeked up (kyler imo). Regardless we play our absolute worst in the biggest game. That character defect of the team is typically reflective of the head coach.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This isn’t about not being good, it’s about patterns. But let’s look at it . . .

In 26 years before kliff took over:

Dykes 72-61
Leach 84-43
Tuberville 21-17

Then there’s this:

Kliff 35-40

Maybe we stop making excuses for kliff?

NINE YEARS
Huh Sonny D ykes will never be recognized on this board.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. If those are owed, pay them. This isn’t how you show displeasure as an owner. It’s petty and lame.
aren't coaches playoff bonuses controlled by the league, not the team?

"Playoff money comes from a league pool instead of from NFL teams. There is a specific amount for each playoff round where each eligible player gets paid the same."

article from 2 years ago, who knows

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
aren't coaches playoff bonuses controlled by the league, not the team?

"Playoff money comes from a league pool instead of from NFL teams. There is a specific amount for each playoff round where each eligible player gets paid the same."

article from 2 years ago, who knows

I think that is playoff salary, coaches may have bonuses written in to their contracts that the team is on the hook for.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This isn’t about not being good, it’s about patterns. But let’s look at it . . .

In 26 years before kliff took over:

Dykes 72-61
Leach 84-43
Tuberville 21-17

Then there’s this:

Kliff 35-40

Maybe we stop making excuses for kliff?

NINE YEARS

Yeah, I mean, maybe something fundamentally shifted in the BCS/Power Five era that made it more difficult to succeed at Texas Tech, and Kingsbury was on the leading edge of that wave? I think that the past three years might provide additional context:

2019: Started 3-2, ended 1-6
2020: Started 3-2, ended 2-3
2021: started 5-2, ended 2-4

Is that a more representative data set than Sonny Dykes' program from 1987 - 1999? I"ll let you decide.

I think his greatest shortfall is ultimately in the leadership realm. Great that he can learn nuts and bolts, but if you’re not a leader that effectively inspires your team, that readys them for the big moment, you have a ceiling. I think kliff is that guy. In every big game we come out flat and look unprepared. Or too geeked up (kyler imo). Regardless we play our absolute worst in the biggest game. That character defect of the team is typically reflective of the head coach.

I don't have enough information to affix blame for the late-season collapses in the NFL. I've gone on record that Kyler and Kliff are a toxic pairing. Also, it's easier to find a good head coach than a great quarterback, but if Kyler can't be a great quarterback, you can have a good head coach for 20 years; a good QB mostly lasts half that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, maybe something fundamentally shifted in the BCS/Power Five era that made it more difficult to succeed at Texas Tech, and Kingsbury was on the leading edge of that wave? I think that the past three years might provide additional context:

2019: Started 3-2, ended 1-6
2020: Started 3-2, ended 2-3
2021: started 5-2, ended 2-4

Is that a more representative data set than Sonny Dykes' program from 1987 - 1999? I"ll let you decide.

I don't have enough information to affix blame for the late-season collapses in the NFL. I've gone on record that Kyler and Kliff are a toxic pairing. Also, it's easier to find a good head coach than a great quarterback, but if Kyler can't be a great quarterback, you can have a good head coach for 20 years; a good QB mostly lasts half that.
I’m sorry, but during the BCS era, ATROCIOUS programs for decades like Baylor and TCU not only found ways to succeed but became national title contenders and top ten programs multiple times.

The raft of excuses for Kliff is bizarre.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I’m sorry, but during the BCS era, ATROCIOUS programs for decades like Baylor and TCU not only found ways to succeed but became national title contenders and top ten programs multiple times.

The raft of excuses for Kliff is bizarre.
The warm blanket of the mediocrity that you know is preferable to most people than taking a chance at being great. It’s like this in every facet of life. Relationships, business, etc.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Guys, Tell me Michael Bidwill is not doing this. No coach worth some salt will ever take Cardinals job.

I discounted LaCanfora but with McAfee adding tune...oh boy...

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Guys, Tell me Michael Bidwill is not doing this. No coach worth some salt will ever take Cardinals job.

Maybe MB isn't. Could be the true leftover dollar Bills in the family. Wonder if they pull the real strings? Sad day if so.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Maybe MB isn't. Could be the true leftover dollar Bills in the family. Wonder if they pull the real strings? Sad day if so.
This is like turning the clock to 90s. OMG.

All along Kyle Odergard was right?.

Gambo, I think you read this forum. Come-on man have some self respect.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It sounds like coaches haven't been paid their postseason bonuses yet, but it's because of bureaucratic lag/incompetence on Hardy Drive.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is like turning the clock to 90s. OMG.

All along Kyle Odergard was right?.

Gambo, I think you read this forum. Come-on man have some self respect.
That was a little all over the map for me...care to explain? Are you saying that my thought for the potential of something like this is completely irrational?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That was a little all over the map for me...care to explain? Are you saying that my thought for the potential of something like this is completely irrational?
Sorry nothing bad was meant about you. It was generic

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another way to look at it is:

We've learned how to team-build and roster-develop our way to the playoffs. It's easier to learn how to go the remaining way than it is to start anew.

This is no mean task and may take a little time than expected.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Another way to look at it is:

We've learned how to team-build and roster-develop our way to the playoffs. It's easier to learn how to go the remaining way than it is to start anew.

This is no mean task and may take a little time than expected.
I disagree with this comment. We see different teams make it to the playoffs all the time. What we don’t see is a lot of teams make it to the super bowl. Once you make the playoffs each additional step actually gets more difficult.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score

Should they pay what is contractually owed, immediately?

Or should they risk agitating the staff while creating an embarrassing story for a few extra days of deposit interest?

Would really be interested in the opinion of the "Michael obviously wants to win and I respect that" parrots.