Mercury part ways with Sandy

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona Sports has an article about it.

By Arizona Sports:

The Phoenix Mercury and head coach Sandy Brondello have mutually agreed to part ways, the team announced Monday.

Hired as head coach in 2014, Brondello’s contract expired at the end of the 2021 season and will not be renewed.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More about the Mercury and Sandy Brondello parting ways.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just don't get it unless she wants to step away from coaching and spend more time with her family.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New York Liberty expected to hire Sandy Brondello.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been critical of Sandy’s ability to develop young players. Now she goes to the Liberty who have one of the youngest teams (I think I read they were THE youngest team last season). Curious to see how she will do.

I am so jealous of the Aces for nabbing Becky Hammond as coach.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been critical of Sandy’s ability to develop young players. Now she goes to the Liberty who have one of the youngest teams (I think I read they were THE youngest team last season). Curious to see how she will do.

I am so jealous of the Aces for nabbing Becky Hammond as coach.

Totally not fair Becky Hammond going to Aces.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if what we now know about Sarver is what caused Sandy to leave team. Maybe she had enough of the toxic work environment and decided to go somewhere else?

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if what we now know about Sarver is what caused Sandy to leave team. Maybe she had enough of the toxic work environment and decided to go somewhere else?
That’s a possibility. But in reading between the lines of interviews and articles and such, it seems Sandy wanted to stay but Mercury said no.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That’s a possibility. But in reading between the lines of interviews and articles and such, it seems Sandy wanted to stay but Mercury said no.
If it was the organization's decision then there is no logical reason except for they are idiots.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Teresa Weatherspoon is withdrawing her name as a candidate for the Mercury head coaching position.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dammit! Was really hoping she was going to be out next coach

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I read an article a long time ago, and I forget who it was by, but it was from a sports organization that is always good. I just remember their point about replacing coaches: "You always do your vetting and search and have your replacement coach ready BEFORE you let go your current coach. At least that's what winning organizations do." Then I have always wondered about the ways the Sarver organization has replaced their coaches. Fire now, worry about replacing later.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose