Mental health

jbjarko

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have gone through the worst 72 hours of my life. I didn’t know such a deep and dark place existed. If was terrifying in the moment. Of course, my better half is half across the world on a dream trip in Europe. It was alcohol induced and just a place I never want to visit again. Mental health is a thing. I’ve been through hell the past few days. If anyone ever needs to talk, I’m here.

jf-08

Administrator; Rules Creator
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have gone through the worst 72 hours of my life. I didn’t know such a deep and dark place existed. If was terrifying in the moment. Of course, my better half is half across the world on a dream trip in Europe. It was alcohol induced and just a place I never want to visit again. Mental health is a thing. I’ve been through hell the past few days. If anyone ever needs to talk, I’m here.
I hope that you are on the good path now.

Appreciate the putting yourself out there for others and likewise, I am available for anyone as well.

jf-08

Administrator; Rules Creator
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not an easy journey. And not sure I'm on a good path. I reached out to my Employee assistance program and will talk to a therapist. Anxiety is through the roof today.
Best of luck to you and I'm glad that you have those resources available to you.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best wishes to you

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn, man. Be well. Let us and anyone else willing and able know if you need something.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Let us know if we can help.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about this, but you are in good company here. 26% of people in the U.S. have a mental health disorder. So if you look at ASFN, about 1 in 4 of the people posting here have an actual mental health disorder, you are just one of the few brave enough to talk about it openly. And even more than that have had experiences with depression, anxiety, etc.

I think it is common to use substances to deal with it. But they can actually compound the problems. Alcohol is actually a depressant. Many smoke pot to deal with anxiety, to relax or zone out, but THC is psychoactive and can compound or trigger mental health issues, especially in those with genetic mental health issues.

My family has been though the full gambit on this, including myself, and both my side of the family, and my wife's have family members with various diagnosis, struggles, and conditions. I think we had a thread on this here at some point, but it didn't last too long.

Hang in there, you are not alone!

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this, but you are in good company here. 26% of people in the U.S. have a mental health disorder. So if you look at ASFN, about 1 in 4 of the people posting here have an actual mental health disorder, you are just one of the few brave enough to talk about it openly. And even more than that have had experiences with depression, anxiety, etc.

I think it is common use substances to deal with it. But they can actually compound the problems. Alcohol is actually a depressant. Many smoke pot to deal with anxiety, to relax or zone out, but THC is psychoactive and can compound or trigger mental health issues, especially in those with genetic mental health issues.

My family has been though the full gambit on this, including myself, and both my side of the family, and my wife's have family members with various diagnosis, struggles, and conditions. I think we had a thread on this here at some point, but it didn't last too long.

Hang in there, you are not alone!

Thanks for posting this, A.Z.. :thumbup:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
It's not an easy journey. And not sure I'm on a good path. I reached out to my Employee assistance program and will talk to a therapist. Anxiety is through the roof today.

That's a smart move. I went through some rough childhood trauma that left me with some bad anxiety that likes to creep up on me now and then. I finally talked to my doctor about it and got on the path to fixing it.

Now I start every day with 10 minutes of meditation and 5 minutes of journaling before I do anything and that's nonnegotiable. I don't care what's going on, there's nothing more important than taking care of your mental health.

I hope you're able to get the help you're looking for.

Absolute Zero

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's a smart move. I went through some rough childhood trauma that left me with some bad anxiety that likes to creep up on me now and then. I finally talked to my doctor about it and got on the path to fixing it.

Now I start every day with 10 minutes of meditation and 5 minutes of journaling before I do anything and that's nonnegotiable. I don't care what's going on, there's nothing more important than taking care of your mental health.

I hope you're able to get the help you're looking for.
Those are great constructive ways of dealing with anxiety and sounds like you are pretty disciplined about it. My mechanism for dealing with depression has been exercise. Played noon b-ball at the YMCA for years, it helped me phase out my meds for bipolar. Switched to morning drop in tennis for years, now I am walking and hiking, but getting harder to pull off with injuries as I get older.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

That's lousy news, but it's good that you are seeking out the resources that are available. Keep looking! One big thing for me is getting outside. I get dragged down very easily if I feel like I'm trapped in a single place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseyslayer