Men's cross country: Northern Arizona repeats as NCAA Champion in dominating fashion

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncaa.com/news/cross-coun...ountry-northern-arizona-repeats-ncaa-champion

As if they were going to go out any other way, the Northern Arizona University men's cross country team ended its perfect season by winning its second-consecutive NCAA Division I National Championship at E.P. Tom Sawyer State Park on Saturday afternoon.

The Lumberjacks dominated the meet, winning with a 74 point performance and beating the next closest team by 53. NAU placed an almost unheard of five athletes in the top 40 of the race.

"It's a surreal feeling," Director of Cross Country Michael Smith said. "You're so focused on a single day for so long and then the morning comes and it's actually time to do it, and they went out and did it."

Matt Baxter led the way for NAU with a second-place finish with a time of 29:00.78. Just like it has been all year, Tyler Day was right behind him to finish third with a 29:04.55 performance. The two have gone back-and-forth besting one another all season, with Baxter just beating out Day this time by four seconds.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Yeah!!! The scary thing is that I believe they're only losing one guy from the team next year and both Tyler and Matt will be back.

There's my son, 2nd from the left.

You must be registered for see images attach

Blurry picture of his championship ring from 2016.

You must be registered for see images attach

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Thanks guys! These kids are doing insane workouts for the indoor track season. I can't wait to watch them make a run for a 3-peat.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
They treated the conference championship like a a hard training workout. They are so flippin good. Coach Smith told them to just go out hard and hang on as long as they could to practice for nationals. They weren't even trying to get good times and they almost swept 1-5.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave