Memory lane: Do you remember your initial reaction to this draft pick?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been a long time but I didn't like the pick because I thought Rolle was a safety not a CB and we needed a CB. IIRC I wanted Mike Williams(USC) or Derrick Johnson (Texas) but when the draft played out I was hoping we'd pick Aaron Rodgers. Johnson had a nice career at KC, Williams was a bust, and Rodgers is HOFer.

Antron had good years for us and I was correct he was a safety not a CB. Obviously in hindsight you take Rodgers but if it was hindsight he's the first pick.

Looking online DeMarcus Ware would have been a great pick, Merriman too although everyone knew he was a PED guy. Thomas Davis would have been a great pick too.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember wanting DeMarcus Ware or Shawne Merriman.

At the same time, I wasn't sold on Aaron Rodgers, so I clearly don't know everything.

Rolle was fine on this team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was excited for rolle. He just needed a tad bit more speed to be really special as he had mad ball instincts and skills.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Been a long time but I didn't like the pick because I thought Rolle was a safety not a CB and we needed a CB. IIRC I wanted Mike Williams(USC) or Derrick Johnson (Texas) but when the draft played out I was hoping we'd pick Aaron Rodgers. Johnson had a nice career at KC, Williams was a bust, and Rodgers is HOFer.

Antron had good years for us and I was correct he was a safety not a CB. Obviously in hindsight you take Rodgers but if it was hindsight he's the first pick.

Looking online DeMarcus Ware would have been a great pick, Merriman too although everyone knew he was a PED guy. Thomas Davis would have been a great pick too.

There was probably some Miami DB hype with Ed Reed and Shawn Taylor going in previous years. Rolle was good but should’ve been 15% better I feel like.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

At the same time, I wasn't sold on Aaron Rodgers, so I clearly don't know everything.

I wasn’t sold on Rodgers but it made perfect sense to draft him. The false hype of McCown had evaporated by then and Kurt seemed like a perfect stop gap. Rodgers would’ve had to play as a rookie since Kurt was brittle.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn’t sold on Rodgers but it made perfect sense to draft him. The false hype of McCown had evaporated by then and Kurt seemed like a perfect stop gap. Rodgers would’ve had to play as a rookie since Kurt was brittle.
Would Rodgers be Rodgers if he came to AZ? I would wager no.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was probably some Miami DB hype with Ed Reed and Shawn Taylor going in previous years. Rolle was good but should’ve been 15% better I feel like.

I loved Taylor the prior year. Rolle had amazing ball skills, picks and fumble recoveries and he returned them to the house too. Just wasn't a CB.

I had to google it we had both Fitz and Boldin then so while I loved Mike Williams I probably wasn't screaming for him I wanted Derrick Johnson. But once it became apparent Rodgers was falling I wanted him, and then once it was apparently he was FREEfalling I was mad we didn't pick him or at least try and trade up to get him later.

To be fair, given how he's worked out in GB it's unlikely he'd have stayed a Cardinal his whole career anyways. he would have gotten mad at the Bidwills at some point and left. But can you imagine him with Fitz and Boldin in their primes? The Kurt Warner resurrection in ARizona would never have happened if we picked Rodgers, but we still probably get to at least one SB with him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was thinking the same. Where a player lands has an indelible impact on whom they become.

But maybe if he was even sub Rodgers he could’ve been the best QB we ever had for a decade+

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He'd still be great maybe not as great but he'd have inherited 2 great WR's in Fitz and Boldin. But I think if he has this much issues over the years with GB management and coaches, he'd have never stuck it out in Arizona he'd have gotten fed up and forced his way out.

To this day I can't believe the 49ers took Alex Smith and he wound up being a very good player. But that choice cost them multiple Super Bowls

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He'd still be great maybe not as great but he'd have inherited 2 great WR's in Fitz and Boldin. But I think if he has this much issues over the years with GB management and coaches, he'd have never stuck it out in Arizona he'd have gotten fed up and forced his way out.

To this day I can't believe the 49ers took Alex Smith and he wound up being a very good player. But that choice cost them multiple Super Bowls
You would have to think so, but he got to sit behind an all time great in Favre and some of the best offensive coaches in the game in Holmgren and McCarthy.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking the same. Where a player lands has an indelible impact on whom they become.

But maybe if he was even sub Rodgers he could’ve been the best QB we ever had for a decade+
No question in my mind he would be.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Idk if he’d be a top QB all time but he would transcended any team he went to eventually. Hell even Leinart would’ve been fine here had he been blessed with AR’s drive and mental processing, let alone his physical talent.

Rodgers still had his funky mechanics as a rookie but they cleaned it up as he developed behind Favre.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rolle drafted to play cornerback, playmaking skills but a bit slow to go one one
Then converted to play safety, his natural position and he matched his draft status
I predict the same for Byron Murphy

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I didn’t like Rodgers either. Big miss

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Demarcus ware have had an outstanding career
Shawn Merriman was my favourite, a freak of nature, first two seasons was excellent then disappeared and ends up his career pretty soon

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t like Rodgers either. Big miss
No worries, we apparently knew the same as 23 other organizations. I would have hated to be a GM that needed a QB that passed on Rodgers or Mahomes.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can you imagine if the 2005 draft had gone

1st round - Aaron Rodgers
2nd round - Frank Gore

Added to Fitz and Boldin

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members