MCU: Eternals

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People don’t like DC because it isn’t like Marvel. I believe that the normal audience appreciates and expects the formula. If you don’t agree that’s fine, but that doesn’t say anything whatsoever about my feelings one way or another about any of these movies other than I think Marvels are formulaic.
Will you two just get a room and get it over with already! :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
People don’t like DC because it isn’t like Marvel. I believe that the normal audience appreciates and expects the formula. If you don’t agree that’s fine, but that doesn’t say anything whatsoever about my feelings one way or another about any of these movies other than I think Marvels are formulaic.
I don't see that. People liked the joker movie, and the new Suicide Squad. The horrible DC movies weren't disliked because they weren't like Marvel, IMO, but because they stunk.

Anyroad, yeah, shouldn't read too much in your post. It sounded DC snobbish toward Marvel, but that was an assumption.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true IMO. I was never a Marvel guy as a kid. Batman is my favorite. People don’t like DC because it has been a complete mess with mostly subpar efforts. I think you give the audience too much credit that they analyze stuff like this. Put the Marvel creative team behind DC movies with the writing and give Marvel the DC team and we are having the opposite discussion IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not true IMO. I was never a Marvel guy as a kid. Batman is my favorite. People don’t like DC because it has been a complete mess with mostly subpar efforts. I think you give the audience too much credit that they analyze stuff like this. Put the Marvel creative team behind DC movies with the writing and give Marvel the DC team and we are having the opposite discussion IMO.
Lol You either are ignoring what I’m saying or trying to move the goalposts. Maybe both.

DC is a mess and has been a mess since Dark Knight. They definitely decided NOT to go the Marvel route and it’s hurt them immensely. I don’t know what that has to do with the popularity of Batman.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol You either are ignoring what I’m saying or trying to move the goalposts. Maybe both.

DC is a mess and has been a mess since Dark Knight. They definitely decided NOT to go the Marvel route and it’s hurt them immensely. I don’t know what that has to do with the popularity of Batman.
LOL. I am doing neither. Your claim is that DC is more imaginative and Marvel is formulaic. Therefore that’s the reason people don’t like DC. I neither ignored that or moved the goal post.

I am directly addressing that take by saying it’s bunk. I am countering it by supporting my own point that if the DC movies had the Marvel creative team and things were reversed that people woulndn’t like Marvel movies. People don’t like DC because the quality isn’t there.

Not sure what you are missing.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
LOL. I am doing neither. Your claim is that DC is more imaginative and Marvel is formulaic. Therefore that’s the reason people don’t like DC. I neither ignored that or moved the goal post.

I am directly addressing that take by saying it’s bunk. I am countering it by supporting my own point that if the DC movies had the Marvel creative team and things were reversed that people woulndn’t like Marvel movies. People don’t like DC because the quality isn’t there.

Not sure what you are missing.
I never claimed that DC was more imaginative. I did claim that Marvel is formulaic, because they are. DC is not formulaic, and in normal circumstances that would be great but they did a terrible job because their stories and quality of filmmaking was subpar and never approached the Nolanverse quality. It’s not Marvels way or the highway for chrissakes.

You seem to think this is about something else. If DC has Marvels creative team would they be better? Almost certainly yes. But then DC would be following their own formula of being crowd pleasing fantasies like the Marvel movies are.

People live the Marvel movies — I guess you don’t see how they are acyually all very similar in structure, ie a formula. I’m not saying it’s right to go that route but it is certainly working out well for them. Or at least it was. Spider man notwithstanding, the verdict is still out in whether they are going to stay the course. They didn’t with Eternals and look what happened.

Eternals didn’t go the DC route, they were just different. And people didn’t care for it. Maybe it was the medium, but it didn’t hit with audiences. DC wants to be SO radical they lost what makes those heroes so great. Especially Superman and now it’s looking like Batman. It’s no surprise the biggest DC successes were the two most Marvel-like movies—Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

NOTE: I don’t consider Joker a DC movie per se, even though I think that movie was very successful at subverting the formula.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never claimed that DC was more imaginative. I did claim that Marvel is formulaic, because they are. DC is not formulaic, and in normal circumstances that would be great but they did a terrible job because their stories and quality of filmmaking was subpar and never approached the Nolanverse quality. It’s not Marvels way or the highway for chrissakes.

You seem to think this is about something else. If DC has Marvels creative team would they be better? Almost certainly yes. But then DC would be following their own formula of being crowd pleasing fantasies like the Marvel movies are.

People live the Marvel movies — I guess you don’t see how they are acyually all very similar in structure, ie a formula. I’m not saying it’s right to go that route but it is certainly working out well for them. Or at least it was. Spider man notwithstanding, the verdict is still out in whether they are going to stay the course. They didn’t with Eternals and look what happened.

Eternals didn’t go the DC route, they were just different. And people didn’t care for it. Maybe it was the medium, but it didn’t hit with audiences. DC wants to be SO radical they lost what makes those heroes so great. Especially Superman and now it’s looking like Batman. It’s no surprise the biggest DC successes were the two most Marvel-like movies—Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

NOTE: I don’t consider Joker a DC movie per se, even though I think that movie was very successful at subverting the formula.
The vast majority of movies are formulaic. That doesn’t determine quality. It might determine originality but not quality. Some formulaic movies suck and some don’t. Just like some movies that try something new sometimes suck and sometimes they are good. It really is as simple as a movie is good or it’s not. I don’t think the average movie going person overanalyzes this kind of stuff to determine that if something isn’t formulaic it sucks.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The vast majority of movies are formulaic. That doesn’t determine quality. It might determine originality but not quality. Some formulaic movies suck and some don’t. Just like some movies that try something new sometimes suck and sometimes they are good. It really is as simple as a movie is good or it’s not. I don’t think the average movie going person overanalyzes this kind of stuff to determine that if something isn’t formulaic it sucks.
Where did quality come into it? So let me get it straight, you are telling my that my opinion is that DC movies are great and Marvel movies are not? Hmm. Please quote where I said ANY of what you are accusing me of. This is ridiculous.

The average movie goer doesn't think about it. MOST audiences like something a certain way. I'm not even sure what we're debating here, other than you accusing me of saying and thinking all kinds of wrong things.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did quality come into it? So let me get it straight, you are telling my that my opinion is that DC movies are great and Marvel movies are not? Hmm. Please quote where I said ANY of what you are accusing me of. This is ridiculous.

The average movie goer doesn't think about it. MOST audiences like something a certain way. I'm not even sure what we're debating here, other than you accusing me of saying and thinking all kinds of wrong things.
Where did I say that? No, you show me where I said that you think all DC movies are great and Marvel's are not. I was sharing my thoughts while responding to you. You are drawing contrast between the two by saying why one does work and the other doesn't. Maybe you are just not being clear why? Multiple people have responded to your point now looking above. So far you have said about 3 things that were not being said either. So, Pot meet Kettle. Calm down. This is only a discussion.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Where did I say that? No, you show me where I said that you think all DC movies are great and Marvel's are not. I was sharing my thoughts while responding to you. You are drawing contrast between the two be saying why one does work and the other doesn't. Maybe you are just not being clear why? Multiple people have responded to your point now looking above. So far you have said about 3 things that were not being said either. So, Pot meet Kettle. Calm down. This is only a discussion.
I'm detaching myself from this stupid "discussion".

I'm done. With you and this board.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got about halfway through it yesterday at home will finish later. I honestly got bored. Maybe I was just mad at how they handled Salma but I didn't like it much admittedly I was not familiar with the characters like I am with most Marvel movies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose