MCU: Eternals

UncleChris

Retirement Doesn't Suck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it, the wife didn't.

While it's not a stinker, it is certainly well down the list of quality MCU movies. Hoop Head certainly has the right idea..... it should have been a series. No way are you going to stuff 6-8 hours of material into 2 1/2 houre and maintain qualty.

3 of 5 stars for me, mostly for effects.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This won’t be a popular opinion, but Marvel movies are pretty formulaic now. This went completely against the formula and it failed. Similar to why DC movies fail as well. They aren’t the formula and audiences don’t want anything except the formula.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it but didn't love it. I liked it because it was different and thematically, I liked where they were trying to go with it. Ultimately, though, I left the movie feeling like it was trying to lead you somewhere (much bigger story) and it didn't get there. Some of the characters were likable. I just found it odd that I liked it more than I thought I would but also understand why it was so divisive with fans.

cheesebeef

ASFN AWESOME
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked it but didn't love it. I liked it because it was different and thematically, I liked where they were trying to go with it. Ultimately, though, I left the movie feeling like it was trying to lead you somewhere (much bigger story) and it didn't get there. Some of the characters were likable. I just found it odd that I liked it more than I thought I would but also understand why it was so divisive with fans.
So, you’re saying... you liked it? ;)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This won’t be a popular opinion, but Marvel movies are pretty formulaic now. This went completely against the formula and it failed. Similar to why DC movies fail as well. They aren’t the formula and audiences don’t want anything except the formula.
So you're trying to low-key say you love all what DC is doing now and not what Marvel is? Because I got a big Shang Chi to bust that argument.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So you're trying to low-key say you love all what DC is doing now and not what Marvel is? Because I got a big Shang Chi to bust that argument.
Huh? How did you come to that conclusion?

Geez, people just love to put words in my mouth today.

Stout

Reaction score
Huh? How did you come to that conclusion?

Geez, people just love to put words in my mouth today.
Sounded like you think all Marvel movies are alike (formulaic) and people love them for that and DC is "imaginative" and people don't like them for it.

IMO, Marvel is doing way too much in every property now to set up all the OTHER properties, and it's making the current property being shown, be it a movie or series, suffer for it. I'll probably cherry pick Marvel movies from now on, because many of them won't catch my interest. The shows I'm just going to avoid altogether. They were huge disappointments.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
There was almost no plot for 1/2 the movie, then it was extremely weak plot, then it was a bad, predictable twist. This is why I couldn't figure out what the movie really was about from the trailers--it wasn't really anything but a broad introduction for more movies, which is why it (IMO and a lot of others') sucked so bad. It was basically, "So there are these eternals..."
Yeah tough to argue with that description. Like I said, I don’t think the Eternals was ever going to be easy. First, way to many to introduce. Second, way too many centuries to cover. Third, celestials.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Eternals should have been a series. That would have allowed them to explore their past more and how and where they fit in the MCU. Instead they've done series like Falcon & Winter Soldier that would have been better suited as a film. Give me 6 hour long episodes of The Eternal and a 140 minute film for F&WS.
I agree.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Sounded like you think all Marvel movies are alike (formulaic) and people love them for that and DC is "imaginative" and people don't like them for it.

IMO, Marvel is doing way too much in every property now to set up all the OTHER properties, and it's making the current property being shown, be it a movie or series, suffer for it. I'll probably cherry pick Marvel movies from now on, because many of them won't catch my interest. The shows I'm just going to avoid altogether. They were huge disappointments.
People don’t like DC because it isn’t like Marvel. I believe that the normal audience appreciates and expects the formula. If you don’t agree that’s fine, but that doesn’t say anything whatsoever about my feelings one way or another about any of these movies other than I think Marvels are formulaic.

cheesebeef

ASFN AWESOME
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People don’t like DC because it isn’t like Marvel. I believe that the normal audience appreciates and expects the formula. If you don’t agree that’s fine, but that doesn’t say anything whatsoever about my feelings one way or another about any of these movies other than I think Marvels are formulaic.
Will you two just get a room and get it over with already! :)

Stout

Reaction score
I don't see that. People liked the joker movie, and the new Suicide Squad. The horrible DC movies weren't disliked because they weren't like Marvel, IMO, but because they stunk.

Anyroad, yeah, shouldn't read too much in your post. It sounded DC snobbish toward Marvel, but that was an assumption.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true IMO. I was never a Marvel guy as a kid. Batman is my favorite. People don’t like DC because it has been a complete mess with mostly subpar efforts. I think you give the audience too much credit that they analyze stuff like this. Put the Marvel creative team behind DC movies with the writing and give Marvel the DC team and we are having the opposite discussion IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not true IMO. I was never a Marvel guy as a kid. Batman is my favorite. People don’t like DC because it has been a complete mess with mostly subpar efforts. I think you give the audience too much credit that they analyze stuff like this. Put the Marvel creative team behind DC movies with the writing and give Marvel the DC team and we are having the opposite discussion IMO.
Lol You either are ignoring what I’m saying or trying to move the goalposts. Maybe both.

DC is a mess and has been a mess since Dark Knight. They definitely decided NOT to go the Marvel route and it’s hurt them immensely. I don’t know what that has to do with the popularity of Batman.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol You either are ignoring what I’m saying or trying to move the goalposts. Maybe both.

DC is a mess and has been a mess since Dark Knight. They definitely decided NOT to go the Marvel route and it’s hurt them immensely. I don’t know what that has to do with the popularity of Batman.
LOL. I am doing neither. Your claim is that DC is more imaginative and Marvel is formulaic. Therefore that’s the reason people don’t like DC. I neither ignored that or moved the goal post.

I am directly addressing that take by saying it’s bunk. I am countering it by supporting my own point that if the DC movies had the Marvel creative team and things were reversed that people woulndn’t like Marvel movies. People don’t like DC because the quality isn’t there.

Not sure what you are missing.