McCoy's Offense

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
FACT 2: Once the defensive front is on their heals the offense can do whatever the hell it wants to.

Still comes down to precision execution.

I still remember my thoughts on the Super Bowl game with St. Louis(WarnerJ. There was nothing a defense could do. I thought I was at a ballroom dance.

Study, practice and execute...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I kept hearing about BA's complicated playbook, yet it felt like 5-6 plays, run with slight variations.

If I remember correctly, it was the variances in the formations which made it complex. Such as, the WRs changed their routes according to how the defense came out

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Smelly, this might be the best post you ever wrote. Hands down, no kidding.
I pasted that post - but liked the content - can’t take credit for writing it - but I grew up on Leroy Kelly and his ability to win rushing and punt receiving titles- pass - punt - all around best complete player I ever watched - came from establishing a normal of insid3 and sweep plays - then surprising opponents with a play they set up. Leroy touched the ball over 60% of the offensive snaps - like Jim Brown before him - came closest to championship when the undefeated Dolphins beat the browns in the playoffs in 72- but still DJ reminds me a lot of Leroy
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I pasted that post - but liked the content - can’t take credit for writing it - but I grew up on Leroy Kelly and his ability to win rushing and punt receiving titles- pass - punt - all around best complete player I ever watched - came from establishing a normal of insid3 and sweep plays - then surprising opponents with a play they set up. Leroy touched the ball over 60% of the offensive snaps - like Jim Brown before him - came closest to championship when the undefeated Dolphins beat the browns in the playoffs in 72- but still DJ reminds me a lot of Leroy
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Kelly is probably underrated as a all time RB. Great vision and stop and go ability with great swivel hips.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Kelly is probably underrated as a all time RB. Great vision and stop and go ability with great swivel hips.
Well he is hof, just not well known - still one of the funnest players I ever watched - punted, passed, rushing and punt return titles - one of the reasons Jim brown retired early was to get Leroy his chance - DJ reminds me of him sometimes - nobody else ever has- do you see the similarity in instincts and loose flexible running style - thinks on his feet

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I do see some similarities in their running styles. For me the best I ever saw was Walter Payton . I loved watching him run.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was the variances in the formations which made it complex. Such as, the WRs changed their routes according to how the defense came out

Ok... Now I'm starting to get it.... But as a D-Coordinator, When Fitz was in motion... I'm still betting the house that it's a run play in the direction Fitz is shifting to. :p

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As a Chargers fan, I can tell you he was horrible with us. He was so bad that he made us wish for Norv Turner back....

I hope he's learned and improved. He might be better with a young developing QB than a veteran one.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
One of McCoy's favorite plays was shot gun draw plays. He made sure Reich and Whisenhunt used that a lot because he's actually said that he loves the unpredictability of that play as the defense could prepare for a pass and then get hit with the throw sometimes.

He made Chargers fans hate that play ever since because we ran it so many damn times often for 2-3 yard gains at best. Chargers never had a RB like David Johnson though so maybe it works much better here but yeah expect to see shot gun draws become a staple of the Cardinals offense next season.

If any of you are gamblers, go put some $$ on the first Cardinals offensive play being a shotgun draw to win some easy money.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I thought the article you can find by clicking here was interesting. It highligths tendencies from McCoy's former stints and tries to relate those tendencies to the quarterbacks, runningbacks and receivers currently with the Cardinals.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
Our new OC, Mike McCoy, returned to his roots as as OC last season with the Broncos after being a HC with the Chargers. Unlike BA at HC, McCoy at HC did not call the plays for the Chargers.

His results on his return to Denver as their OC were a mixed bag going from the fan base pumped to him to finally getting fired by Elway. The common thread was that his playbook was 'too complicated' On one hand, he was 'out scheming' the opponents but in the end his playbook 'out schemed' his own players who were trying to perform on the field.

Happy with the scheme in Denver while he was the new guy and then when they were winning:

http://www.espn.com/blog/denver-bro...or-broncos-roll-up-the-sleeves-to-get-to-work

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-offensive-makeover-on-display-in-broncos-win

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-a...ke-McCoy/62b3e537-37cd-4b0e-b9c7-96f4f1756264

Not-so-happy with the scheme when they were losing 6 in a row (cite need to simply playbook):

https://sportsnaut.com/2017/11/frustration-mike-mccoy-scheme-denver/

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/20/mike-mccoy-fired-denver-broncos/

Comparison of the 'Great Offensive Minds' (get ready for the dink-and-dunk)

https://sportsnaut.com/2017/11/frustration-mike-mccoy-scheme-denver/

(1) Looks to be a big learning curve. One advantage of young vets like Bradford and Glennon---they are familiar with different OC schemes and reading a D. Bradford went through several OC while with the Rams.

(2) Do the Cards have the surrounding players who will take to the new playbook? No problem with Fitz - - - but who else is going to be running patterns? Expect some L's as mistakes are made in key moments---a rook WR turning the wrong way, OL blocking scheme incorrect for the play, etc. Realize it took CP half a season to get the BA playbook---we were still seeing key mistakes between WR-QB after BA's system was in place for a couple years.

(3) Not to get yet another thread headed down the QB debate BUT do any of the QBs in this draft have the football IQ to learn and implement the McCoy playbook? I have not been able to find the Wonderlic scores for this draft class--or the results of the interview process. We need a 'Gruden' sit down with the QB at QB interview. That needs to be a consideration should the Cards go after a QB in the draft---will the guy be able to handle the playbook---especially with little OTF practice? McCoy will scheme to the opponent which will require weekly study time to get the calls. Palmer put in the off-practice time to learn the playcalls for the upcoming game---our QBs will be required to do the same.

I think one reason BA was high on Gabbert---the guy did absorb the playbook and actually looked more in tune with the play call over Stanton and his years with the playbook.

(4) How will SW and McCoy work together? SW wants to run the ball first---McCoy has been a HC and in the league for many years. Will this dynamic work when SW wants the play calls to be heavy on runs and MM wants to West-Coast pass his way down the field?

unless there is something I am not seeing
1. we have the dumbest players to ever play football OR
2. there is absolutely nothing complicated about his 'scheme'

I vote for 2 ... and how he got any rep for 'complicated' is way beyond me or any paranoid conspiracy theory I can dream up... it was like the worst days of BA (near the end) where I could sit and call the play before it happened (and I am a football dweeb)... that is just mind-boggling that anyone, anywhere, thought his scheme was complex ... or we have option 1. .. we have the dumbest football players to ever play in the NFL..... can't buy that

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I really excited now that Wilks has told Mike McCoy that he needs to be more creative in his use of DJ. It's not like people outside of football knew this, except that they all do. #JoeFan (I'm using this K9)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave