McCown AND 2006 #1ST ROUND PICK FOR RIVERS

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
I HAVE A GOOD IDEA.Would you trade McCown and next years #1 for phillip rivers.Chargers now they have to do something.They cant keep both.I think warner is the amswer now..But what about next year.We must think about our future.Yes were building a good team.But look at the patriots,they had Tom Brady waiting in the wing..Just a thought.and i know who ever we got would throw a fit..but money talks..make them happy..brees or rivers.. :thumbup:

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
BIGTONY said:
I HAVE A GOOD IDEA.Would you trade McCown and next years #1 for phillip rivers.Chargers now they have to do something.They cant keep both.I think warner is the amswer now..But what about next year.We must think about our future.Yes were building a good team.But look at the patriots,they had Tom Brady waiting in the wing..Just a thought.and i know who ever we got would throw a fit..but money talks..make them happy..brees or rivers.. :thumbup:

oh, oh.....this should be a lively discussion.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
As well as this staff has been drafting I don't think I would give up a first to trade one young unproven QB for another.

What has Rivers done to be worth that?

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
No.

I would trade those two for some other QB maybe Volek. But I have always thought Rivers would be a bust. Plus, he has a ton of money tied up in him. Brees has probaly filled the kids head with so much misinformation it ain't funny. You think Brees would honestly help the kid take his job. It would just suck to trade Josh and a 1st rounder for a Josh caliber QB. Not saying he will be but he is unproven and makes just under Tom Brady money.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
BIGTONY said:

How much do you pay for your drugs? I've been looking for a good deal.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would think about for Brees , maybe, Not for Rivers. They would want too much for him . I think our draft pick is going to be a very low one this year . Hopefully #32 if you know what I mean ;) . I like what SIR CHAZ said about our pics the last couple of years . They should be able to pick up a good QB soon in the draft or get a young free agent . I hear that Gerrard wants to start .

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a freakin heartbeat. A bust and a (hopefully) mid round pick for a potential long term starting qb to groom behind Kurt? In a NY minute. We are weak at QB depth and this would be phenomenal. Too bad SD isn't braindead. :(

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SpokaneCardfan said:
I would think about for Brees , maybe, Not for Rivers. They would want too much for him . I think our draft pick is going to be a very low one this year . Hopefully #32 if you know what I mean ;) . I like what SIR CHAZ said about our pics the last couple of years . They should be able to pick up a good QB soon in the draft or get a young free agent . I hear that Gerrard wants to start .

Well, with that thinking, you are saying that McClown is a better QB than Rivers WILL be. Since you think our draft pick will be crap, you are basically nixing a McCrud for Rivers deal, straight up.

:shrug:

That McCoolaid must taste gooooood.

P.S. McCown is a 3rd stringer by week 3. If it takes THAT long.

Reaction score
I strongly agree Native. First round picks are worth their weight in gold. Rivers is still unproven.

:stupid:

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
As well as this staff has been drafting I don't think I would give up a first to trade one young unproven QB for another.

Same people who've made the picks the last 2 drafts woulda been the same people that scouted Rivers last year. If you trust in their talent evaluation and they deemed it a good trade I don't see how you could knock it. Of course thats hypothetical. I really don't feel strongly about this trade one way or another, but I do trust Denny Green's judgement.

OP
OP
BIGTONY

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
All im saying..maybe a second rounder then.but chargers are going to unload one of them.Soon mark my words.We need a young stud that kurt can groom..Maybe john naverro then..But if its worth it.I do the trade in a heart beat.. :thumbup:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
1. We haven't seen Rivers in action (He could be another Leaf)!!!

2. McCown is a UFA after this season

3. Volek is a UFA after this season and Ramsey would be much cheaper (he could be released).

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
In a freakin heartbeat. A bust and a (hopefully) mid round pick for a potential long term starting qb to groom behind Kurt? In a NY minute. We are weak at QB depth and this would be phenomenal. Too bad SD isn't braindead. :(

I was thinking the same thing. I'd love the trade but San Diego would hve to be braindead to do it.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivers is going to be SD's QB next year. It's Brees that will be playing somewhere else--even if he repeats last year's preformance.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SD gets:
QB Josh McCown

ARI gets:
30 dozen fish tacos
Autographed Tony Gwynn baseball

Git 'er done!

A-Bomb

MadBird

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
AZ Sports Native said:
Negative. You don't trade 1st round picks for unproven players. Period. :trout:

All 1st Round picks are unproven ... you'd be trading an 'unproven' for an 'unproven'. And if the Cards do well this year, you'd be trading a higher rated 'unproven' for a lower rated 'unproven' ....

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No, but only because I'm not sold on Phillip Rivers. Did anyone see the ESPN Insider report on him? The writer said that he threw a pass that flew end over end.

Two or three big-time QBs come out every draft. I'm not worried.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZSportNut1978 said:
I strongly agree Native. First round picks are worth their weight in gold. Rivers is still unproven.

:stupid:

So a first round pick that we don't even know the value of(since we haven't played the season yet) is worth more than a first round pick who hasn't played yet (rivers)?

I fail to see the logic, both are unestablished, how can an undetermined pick be more valuable than a guy who hasn't played?

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd trade McCown but not for Rivers.

I would trade him to Chicago for maybe a 3rd. But that means we would have to find a QB elsewhere.

Trade high buy low. McCown is only going to get lower. Trade him while he is worth something.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trade him to Dallas for Drew Henson, then Skorp would have to ban me. :D

Why would anybody trade for McCown isn't he about to be a UFA after this season?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No.

1. If Warners returns to form and leads us to the playoffs, there would be an outcry to resign him. We won't know that for quite some time.

2. If we make the playoffs this year, would that really be the time to bring in an unproven commodity?

3. That is not Denny Greens style. He would more likely go after another veteran free agent to take over.

4. As somebody mentioned above, we will not be trading any future #1 draft picks at any time in the near future.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I HAVE A GOOD IDEA.Would you trade McCown and next years #1 for phillip rivers.
Right now, I wouldn't.

First off, we have 3 QB's in camp who went through all the off-season stuff (playbook, minicamps, OTA's and 2 weeks of camp) and are growing more and more comfortable with Rowan's new system. You'd be taking a 2nd year QB with practically no NFL experience and trying to force-feed a new playbook, new nomenclature and (without the reps you get as a starter) become used to a new set of receivers and blockers.

If you're talking about making that trade next year before the draft - we don't know how this season will shake out, what our roster will look like and what our personnel priorities will be. Will we draft high or low? Will a key injury necessitate a change in our position-priorities? How'd you feel if we could fill a gaping roster hole at safety or offensive tackle in the draft; except we had surrendered that pick in order to acquire Rivers?

And we don't know how far along Rivers and McCown will be comparatively in their development at that point in time. We don't have to rush to judgment now - we have the luxury of waiting til 2006 to cross those bridges.

Finally, why the focus on Rivers and McCown when there's a lot of other things about the Cardinals to be excited about in the "here and now?"

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Hey I like McCown and all as a player though, well let's just say his value is limited at best.

To be kind let's just say the demand isn't as strong as we'd hope it would be.

DG can reclaim all sorts of QB's, he knows good ones when he sees one and he's proven that in his system he can make even Jeff George look good when no one else could win a game with him.

He got basically fired the last time he tried to raise a QB from a pup and so I highly doubt he's going down that road soon. Dante wasn't the cause of his demise but him being inexperienced didn't help either.

Obviously he can spot good QB's though even young one, cause he drafted Dante Culpepper. What he said about Josh was only to draft Fitz so I don't hold Josh not panning out against him.

We just need a solid driver, not a top tier Nascar driver, we just need a solid knows what they are doing still able to deliver the ball driver.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave