Mayweather vs Alvarez

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This one looks good.. Should be one of the better fighters Floyd has faced in two years or so..

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
2 years? Try the best fighter Hes fought in the last 10 years. I'm not a May weather hater buy ever since he left 135 he's done nothing but take the easy road. You look at the start of his career and your jaw drops.

Genaro Hernandez
Angel Manfredy
Emanuel Augustus
Jesus Chavez
Carlos Hernandez
Diego Corrales
Jose Luis Castillo 2x

Pretty much everyone thinks Mayweather lost the first Castillo fight, nobody really remembers this but Floyd got taken to the wood shed that night. Castillo out landed him 203 to 157 in overall punches and a huge edge in power punches 173 to 66. HBOs Harold Letterman scored it 115-111 for Castillo.

Give Floyd credit he took an immediate rematch and clearly won but he showed he wasn't afraid of the tough fight. He hasn't had that attitude in years. Since Castillo ( a future hall of famer) he has clearly taken the easy road at every opportunity.

De La Hoya and Mosley were clearly on the downside both those guys peaked in the late 90s. The two biggest names on his resume since.

Two fights bug me about Floyd. Floyd moved up to 140 in 2003/2004 sometime in there at the time Kostya Tszyu another future hall of famer was in his prime he was the undisputed champion holding all three belts in the division and Floyd went right around him. He moves up fights chop chop corely. Corley catches him clean with a counter hook and Floyd s knees give out he clearly out on his feet but he survives and goes on to win the fight ever since this moment Floyd has avoided the best IMO.

Then we have PAC. I don't think I've ever seen a fighter in floyds position try harder to not fight someone. Every time PAC would agree to one of Floyds demands it would turn into something else. The Tszyu and PAC fights needed to happen and they didn't,

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting close.. Ready to see Mayweather stay undefeated..

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was like damn Floyd put on him but looking at my scorecard after 12 rounds I had it a draw. When Canelo let his hands go he was fine but he def got memorized by Floyds speed and defense. Floyd pretty much ran in the championship rounds making the fight closer than it was.

Canelo not ready for prime time

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
That was a rout. 10-2 or 11-1 was my view.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

I'm not alone bro.....

Multiple big time journalists are saying the same thing. Boxing clinic. Canelo was being told by his own corner men that he needed to win every round half way through the fight.

Rafael had it 12 - 0. Yahoo Sports' Kevin Iole scored it 120-108, while all three Showtime television experts gave Alvarez no more than two rounds.

Bernard Hopkins:
"It was so one-sided," boxing legend Bernard Hopkins said.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing--judging--controversy--can-t-steal-thunder-from-floyd-mayweather-in-lopsided-win-070711094.html
The official statistics showed that Mayweather landed a total of 232 punches, compared to 117 for Alvarez. He was especially dominant with the jab, connecting with 139 to 44.

"He was simply too good," Alvarez conceded after the fight.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya that fight wasn't even close.. I'm surprised one of the judges had it as a draw.. What fight was she watching?

Anyways.. That was pure domination from Mayweather.. Alvarez was in way over his head..

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think objectively that Canelo could have stolen a round or two. 3 at the most. The judge that had the fight a draw should be sanctioned.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think objectively that Canelo could have stolen a round or two. 3 at the most. The judge that had the fight a draw should be sanctioned.

This... That's the same judge that scored Bradley over PacMan... crazy!

This fight was interesting ONLY because Canelo packs so much power in both hands. But, he was clearly too young, too inexperienced and totally out-classed by Mayweather. Definitely one of the better performances from Mayweather in a very long time. I think it's clear that the better the competition, the better Mayweather is. Guy is 36 years old and is still th quickest in the game, and is always in amazing shape!
I was never a big fan of his as I just don't appreciate his cockiness... and I really thought Canelo would give him a serious fight. I was wrong. Major props to Floyd. Definitely in the argument as one of the top 5/10 best fighters all time.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think this fight was close because canelo made it close I had it close because Floyd stopped fighting after round 9. One judge had canelo winning 2 of the last 3 rounds the other 2 had canelo winning 3 of the last 4. If you had Floyd winning those late rounds your looking to give him rounds he flat out got on his bike and ran. I texted my boy this is De La Hoya vs Trinidad all over again. Floyd clearly the better fighter by far

I don't view this as a big win for Floyd. I mean who's canelo ever beaten? Biggest win on his resume is Austin Trout are you really impressed by that. Way to soon for this.

Floyd don't even crack the top 25 let alone the top 5 or 10. Yikes I mean your talking Ray Robinson, Henry Armstrong, Benny Leonard, Willy Pep, Duran, Ali, Harry Greb. he's not even the best of my generation and I'm 31. How quickly people forget wasn't that long ago Chavez was 87-0, Roy Jones won belts from middleweight to heavyweight you know how freakish that is. Forget losing a fight he went on a run there for 5-6 years where he didn't lose a round couple past his prime losses and nobody remembers.

Can't be an all time great if you flat out ducked the biggest competition of your era in PAC. The two best of there era in there primes in the same weight class and Floyd wanted no part of it.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I don't think this fight was close because canelo made it close I had it close because Floyd stopped fighting after round 9. One judge had canelo winning 2 of the last 3 rounds the other 2 had canelo winning 3 of the last 4. If you had Floyd winning those late rounds your looking to give him rounds he flat out got on his bike and ran. I texted my boy this is De La Hoya vs Trinidad all over again. Floyd clearly the better fighter by far

I don't view this as a big win for Floyd. I mean who's canelo ever beaten? Biggest win on his resume is Austin Trout are you really impressed by that. Way to soon for this.

Floyd don't even crack the top 25 let alone the top 5 or 10. Yikes I mean your talking Ray Robinson, Henry Armstrong, Benny Leonard, Willy Pep, Duran, Ali, Harry Greb. he's not even the best of my generation and I'm 31. How quickly people forget wasn't that long ago Chavez was 87-0, Roy Jones won belts from middleweight to heavyweight you know how freakish that is. Forget losing a fight he went on a run there for 5-6 years where he didn't lose a round couple past his prime losses and nobody remembers.

Can't be an all time great if you flat out ducked the biggest competition of your era in PAC. The two best of there era in there primes in the same weight class and Floyd wanted no part of it.

I'm 49 and been a fan of the game since I was 10. I typically stay away from getting into "The Best Ever" debates as I believe it's nearly impossible to compare fighters from different eras and different weight classes.
However, IMHO, Floyd is absolutely worthy of being in the conversation. He's easily one of the best defensive fighters in the history of the game.
You can definitely make an arguement that he didn't fight the best when the best were in their prime... However, Canelo is considered a high-quality, one of the best in the game today type fighter. In fact, Teddy Atlas picked Canelo to win, as did many other "experts". And he never dented Floyd.

Anyway, the fight wasn't close at all... By the 10th round, the judges were looking for reasons to give Canelo a round or two. This was a shutout if there ever was one...

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boxing is the one sport where you can compare fighters from different eras. 147 has always been 147 middleweight has always been 160 the reason the term pound for pound was invented was to compare fighters from different weight classes, boxing styles haven't changed pretty much since the 20s that shoulder roll is a very old school style I love watching it.

IMO canelo ain't in Clouds top 5 can't name me Canelos top 5 wins. I think Teddy was the only one who picked Floyd mostly out of his Floyd hate. Floyd has all the physical talent in the world but I can't forgive him for that Pac fight that was just shameless

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I'm 49 and been a fan of the game since I was 10. I typically stay away from getting into "The Best Ever" debates as I believe it's nearly impossible to compare fighters from different eras and different weight classes.
However, IMHO, Floyd is absolutely worthy of being in the conversation. He's easily one of the best defensive fighters in the history of the game.
You can definitely make an arguement that he didn't fight the best when the best were in their prime... However, Canelo is considered a high-quality, one of the best in the game today type fighter. In fact, Teddy Atlas picked Canelo to win, as did many other "experts". And he never dented Floyd.

Anyway, the fight wasn't close at all... By the 10th round, the judges were looking for reasons to give Canelo a round or two. This was a shutout if there ever was one...
This.

He may be an ass..... but the guy easily is one of the top 2 or 3 defensive fighters of all time. He is probably be the least touched champion in the history of the sport. It's incomprehensible when you compare the level of fighters that he has fought for the last 10 years.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
This.

He may be an ass..... but the guy easily is one of the top 2 or 3 defensive fighters of all time. He is probably be the least touched champion in the history of the sport. It's incomprehensible when you compare the level of fighters that he has fought for the last 10 years.

Yep... And while his detractors will cry that he "runs" as the reason he never gets hit, the reality is that he hardly ever "runs"! If you go back and watch any of his fights over the past 10 years, he actually stands there in close-range, and yet his opponents still can't find a way to get to him. Marquez looked like a fool against Mayweather, and then goes on to detroy Manny with one punch.
Canelo was and still is viewed as one of the hardest and MOST ACCURATE punchers in the sport. He is known for killing the body of his opponents and again, he couldn't find a way to consistently tag Mayweather who, for virtually the entire fight stood right in front of him!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The least touched champion in the history of the sport? So no ones ever heard of Pernell Whitaker or Willy Pep huh.

Forget it

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I'm not as big a fight fan as some of you on this thread, but Jay Caspian Kang painted a slightly different picture about Canelo in the piece he did for Grantland before the fight.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
The least touched champion in the history of the sport? So no ones ever heard of Pernell Whitaker or Willy Pep huh.

Forget it
I saw sweet pea live once..... He wasn't this good.... and he didn't do it for this long.

I get your point though, the debate at the top of Mt. Everest is a lively one.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mayweather fights are complete snooze fests. I dont get the big draw.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mayweather fights are complete snooze fests. I dont get the big draw.

This.

The main reason he has fans is because he is undefeated. Its funny when you hear all of these "fans" deny that and say that they are legit fans of defensive boxing, but don't even know who Rigondeaux is.

Can't wait til he and his loud mouth retire already so we can make the brawlers who put on an exciting show the stars of the sport.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson