Maybe, just maybe

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
it was just common case of over confidence. The Cards were coming off their toughest test of the year and felt they needed an easy game were they could relax for a week. In the back of all their minds they all thought that they just needed to show up and they would beat the Lions on talent alone. Surely, a one win team wasn't going to be much of a threat.

This happens so much on all levels all the time, that it seems inevitable. They just took it too much for granted. I have seen it on all levels all my life. Going back to high school, we played the #1 team in L.A. who were undefeated going into the last game of the regular season. We were a horrible team with 1 win, playing them at their school. They had beat every team all year by 30-50 points each. Final score of our game: 6 to 0. They won, but holy cow, they surely took that game for granted and failed to prepare whatsoever.
I have all my life in competition tried to make my opponent over confident before our match, either by something simple I said to them beforehand (like I'm new at this, so please don't embarrass me too much please in front of my gf), by feinting weakness or lack of confidence (showing incompetence while warming up), or in one case in particular barely beating an opponent who I could have destroyed while knowing my opponents father was scouting me before our finals match. The greatest weapon any player or team has is to supplant the idea that you are a pushover in your coming game or match with them. I loved watching their confusion turn to panic as they crumbled in frustration more and more as the game went on. And even afterwards when they stood dumbfounded not having a clue what just happened and why.

So, we will see this week if the Cards come back from this. Hopefully I am right, and this last week was just another common occurrence of an over confident team falling to a pathetic opponent. We surely won't have that problem the rest of the way, for there are no cream puffs left on our schedule. If Cards lose this week, then I suppose their confidence has just been shattered beyond repair, and super bowl aspirations are mostly over for us.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
With as many examples of big upsets in this league this season(Bills losing to Jags, Titans losing to Jets, Bengals losing to Jets, etc) it's amazing that the Cards could look past the Lions.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think they got got looking ahead to the Colts game.
They’re pathetic if that’s the case. A team that hasn’t made the playoffs in a half decade, was starting to look like a rewind of last year’s collapse, overlooking ANYONE, especially with a playoff appearance on the line is laughable and speaks to a rot of leadership at the top both on and off the field.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Every body on here was looking ahead. All the talk has been, the last couple of weeks, is getting the number one seed for home field advantage. Completely over looked the Lions. What happened to the 1-0 mentality? It hasn't been here for the last couple of weeks. My opinion, of course.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Every body on here was looking ahead. All the talk has been, the last couple of weeks, is getting the number one seed for home field advantage. Completely over looked the Lions. What happened to the 1-0 mentality? It hasn't been here for the last couple of weeks. My opinion, of course.
It doesn't really matter if fans look ahead. It does matter if players and coaches look ahead though.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter if fans look ahead. It does matter if players and coaches look ahead though.

I don't see it as an obvious thing. The team individually or on a whole is saying and doing all the usual things. But it is natural that subconsciously when away from all the prep and motivation, laying your head on the pillow at night, to not even be aware of how your thoughts and feelings deep down are telling you how there is no need to worry, that this week will be an easy win. You don't even realize that same scenario is building in your and other's psyche.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
it was just common case of over confidence. The Cards were coming off their toughest test of the year and felt they needed an easy game were they could relax for a week. In the back of all their minds they all thought that they just needed to show up and they would beat the Lions on talent alone. Surely, a one win team wasn't going to be much of a threat.

This happens so much on all levels all the time, that it seems inevitable. They just took it too much for granted. I have seen it on all levels all my life. Going back to high school, we played the #1 team in L.A. who were undefeated going into the last game of the regular season. We were a horrible team with 1 win, playing them at their school. They had beat every team all year by 30-50 points each. Final score of our game: 6 to 0. They won, but holy cow, they surely took that game for granted and failed to prepare whatsoever.
I have all my life in competition tried to make my opponent over confident before our match, either by something simple I said to them beforehand (like I'm new at this, so please don't embarrass me too much please in front of my gf), by feinting weakness or lack of confidence (showing incompetence while warming up), or in one case in particular barely beating an opponent who I could have destroyed while knowing my opponents father was scouting me before our finals match. The greatest weapon any player or team has is to supplant the idea that you are a pushover in your coming game or match with them. I loved watching their confusion turn to panic as they crumbled in frustration more and more as the game went on. And even afterwards when they stood dumbfounded not having a clue what just happened and why.

So, we will see this week if the Cards come back from this. Hopefully I am right, and this last week was just another common occurrence of an over confident team falling to a pathetic opponent. We surely won't have that problem the rest of the way, for there are no cream puffs left on our schedule. If Cards lose this week, then I suppose their confidence has just been shattered beyond repair, and super bowl aspirations are mostly over for us.
Okay Lou Holtz.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

No, they just got their asses beat plain & simple & were out coached & out played. They better get it together before Saturday or Taylor will have 200 yds rushing by halftime. Our rush defense is horrible, I wish I had a magic wand to heal JJ Watt right now? He would've fired the DL up after the first TD imo.

akg102

Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure it was a case of overlooking DET.......

Fundamentally, I think we're a team with .500-.600 talent. That's exactly what most people/fans thought entering 2021. You can't look at our starting OL (sans Pugh/Hudson), WR crew (sans Hopkins), DL (sans Watt), or CB's and possibly think we're anything more than that.

With that said.......this team goes as Kyler goes. If he's playing sluggish and scared, we won't win another game this season.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm not sure it was a case of overlooking DET.......

Fundamentally, I think we're a team with .500-.600 talent. That's exactly what most people/fans thought entering 2021. You can't look at our starting OL (sans Pugh/Hudson), WR crew (sans Hopkins), DL (sans Watt), or CB's and possibly think we're anything more than that.

With that said.......this team goes as Kyler goes. If he's playing sluggish and scared, we won't win another game this season.
This is a fair take, I think. There's a reason some of us were so down on the team in the offseason. What happens if we choke the Vikings game away and their kicker actually makes the chip shot? The roster was put together with spit and baling wire, and it's starting to come loose. JJ was a huge injury concern, Edmonds too, and...the list goes on. For a long run, it seemed like it was gelling. Now the holes are becoming evident, sadly. Wish it were not so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would have hoped the Carolina game taught them not to look ahead...

You would have hoped last seasons loss to the 3rd string Niners with a chance to clinch the playoffs and their overall pathetic collapse would have taught them all kinds of lessons but right now, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You would have hoped last seasons loss to the 3rd string Niners with a chance to clinch the playoffs and their overall pathetic collapse would have taught them all kinds of lessons but right now, that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Yes, add in that the Lions were missing their running back and TE, there was no reason to lose this game. Except for not being prepared. Jimmy Johnson said at half time he had to coach up his team more when they faced a weaker opponent. Hopefully Kliff learns this lesson sooner rather than later.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I do think they thought the Lions wouldn’t care. They just lost to Denver 38-10 the week before!!! So honestly it looked like the Lions were tanking last few weeks and guarantee themselves #1 pick. No one mentioned that they were blown out against Denver. So it looked like fir sure they were done. I guarantee they thought they would coast through the game. That’s why I think Kyler was like no no no. This is the same as last year. I think they come prepared for sure this week. I can see is beating Indy by 17

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think they thought the Lions wouldn’t care. They just lost to Denver 38-10 the week before!!! So honestly it looked like the Lions were tanking last few weeks and guarantee themselves #1 pick. No one mentioned that they were blown out against Denver. So it looked like fir sure they were done. I guarantee they thought they would coast through the game. That’s why I think Kyler was like no no no. This is the same as last year. I think they come prepared for sure this week. I can see is beating Indy by 17
L
If all of the above IS true, then there is not an iota of leadership on this team. What you just wrote is more of an indictment on the team than anything Darksiders have written.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
L
If all of the above IS true, then there is not an iota of leadership on this team. What you just wrote is more of an indictment on the team than anything Darksiders have written.
Yes and maybe human nature. We all take things lightly sometimes when we don’t focus. It happens

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes and maybe human nature. We all take things lightly sometimes when we don’t focus. It happens

Except this wasn’t the first time it happened this season as we apparently did the same thing against a pathetic Panthers team as well. And we did it last year against a pathetic 3rd string laden Niners team with a chance to go to the playoffs. When it happens repeatedly, with the same people, you make changes or your doomed to repeat the same mistakes.

This is the third straight season we’ve been bad (so far) in the second half of seasons. The previous two second half of seasons were total disasters and this one is teetering on the edge. If it goes the same way and we make no changes on the sidelines and in the front office, I don’t see any reason to believe the team on the field will ever make them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Meh. They play 17 games in a year. That is 17 out of 365 days that they are not allowed to lose focus. That’s a pathetic excuse in my opinion. And frankly I don’t buy it. I don’t think players lose focus for a game. They only have 17 days of the year they can create tape for their next contract. 17 days for which they will be held responsible to their teammates. 17 days that you’re in the public eye. Lose focus for one or more of those days? Nah. For days of practice, sure. For offseason days, sure.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO, the Cardinals have not played particularly well in about 7 games...

I thought they played well against the Seahawks (minus Praters off game) and probably one of their best of the year against the Niners.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh. They play 17 games in a year. That is 17 out of 365 days that they are not allowed to lose focus. That’s a pathetic excuse in my opinion. And frankly I don’t buy it. I don’t think players lose focus for a game. They only have 17 days of the year they can create tape for their next contract. 17 days for which they will be held responsible to their teammates. 17 days that you’re in the public eye. Lose focus for one or more of those days? Nah. For days of practice, sure. For offseason days, sure.
Agree with this

If they can't get focused on game days they have no business playing in the NFL

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave