Maybe it's time

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
That is just crazy talk.
:D

(edit: not picking up Howard, just being a sarcastic jerk about how our team NEVER seems to want to get a pass rusher)

They seem to like re-treads like Berry, and LaBoy

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

And what do we mean by situational pass rusher? Someone who has proven to get to the passer or just someone who's bio says they are a situational pass rusher. I ask becuase Marcus Howards bio says situational pass rusher, but that doesnt mean he can get to the QB, of which he hasnt yet.

Pass rushers dont stay unemployeed for to long and Marcus Howard is still unemployeed. If he had pass rush skills he would have a job right now especially since he would be very cheap and is a young player whos contract wouldnt be guaranteed like a veterans contract would.

Word from Jay Glazer is that Al Davis is so pissed off right now he instructed his GM to call every team in the NFL and let them know they will trade anyone on their team except for the young guys. Glazer called it a fire sell. He is the only one talking about it so who knows if it is true or to the magnitude that Glazer says it is. If they call ask them for Greg Ellis who has shown some pass rush skill this season even at his age. Offer a 7th rounder and see what happens. No harm in asking.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
And what do we mean by situational pass rusher? Someone who has proven to get to the passer or just someone who's bio says they are a situational pass rusher. I ask becuase Marcus Howards bio says situational pass rusher, but that doesnt mean he can get to the QB, of which he hasnt yet.

Pass rushers dont stay unemployeed for to long and Marcus Howard is still unemployeed. If he had pass rush skills he would have a job right now especially since he would be very cheap and is a young player whos contract wouldnt be guaranteed like a veterans contract would.

Word from Jay Glazer is that Al Davis is so pissed off right now he instructed his GM to call every team in the NFL and let them know they will trade anyone on their team except for the young guys. Glazer called it a fire sell. He is the only one talking about it so who knows if it is true or to the magnitude that Glazer says it is. If they call ask them for Greg Ellis who has shown some pass rush skill this season even at his age. Offer a 7th rounder and see what happens. No harm in asking.

I believe it because it is Al Davis. Not really sure what counts as a young guy, but looking at their roster I don't see anything worth giving up even a 7th rounder that will reasonably fit under our cap. Besides, Asomugha is really the only player that would be of any use after this year and I don't see us getting him.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

http://www.raiders.com/team/roster.html

Take your pick
LOL

WOW that is a bad roster. Reminds me of a Coach MacGinnis roster.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane, thanks for covering my fantasy teams. Please explain why you didn't start Michael Turner? :) I missed 27 points, but still won!

I was trying to keep him fresh. I knew you wouldn't need him ;)

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

They were discussing this on the NFL Network last evening.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I heard Adam Schefter mention this morning that Shawn Merriman is potentially on the block. This could be your classic buy low scenario as he has played like spit this season his value to San Diego will never be lower - maybe they want to just get him out of there? Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder would be a risk worth taking and at the very least add a rotation guy at a position of need?

I still think the biggest mistake we made this offseason was not getting in on the Tony Gonzalez derby. He would have brought a significant pass catching/blocking element that we don't currently have.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
I heard Adam Schefter mention this morning that Shawn Merriman is potentially on the block. This could be your classic buy low scenario as he has played like spit this season his value to San Diego will never be lower - maybe they want to just get him out of there? Maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder would be a risk worth taking and at the very least add a rotation guy at a position of need?

I still think the biggest mistake we made this offseason was not getting in on the Tony Gonzalez derby. He would have brought a significant pass catching/blocking element that we don't currently have.

Could'nt agree more on us not picking up Tony Gonzalez this offseason,especially when we had connections with that team on getting him.I know he wanted to go to a team that had a chance at the playoffs.

Its insane to think how crazy this passing game would be with him.They would have to invent a better name than GSOT for the CARDINALS after we had gotten him.Yes there would have been enough balls to go around.

Why'd you have to bring this back up?Now you got me thinking what ifs again.Its going to be hard to keep Breaston on the field every week with his knee.It won't be till next season that he won't be on the injury list all season long.That knee swells up after every game.I'm just glad he can play with pain and he is the only WR that can stretch the field for us.I think the difference in the 9er game without making an excuse.It was a shocking gametime sitdown that I don't think Warner got over.He could'nt count on Long all game.

I don't think we have enough money to pick up anyone do we? Have to ask our resident guru if and what we have in the till.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

Post of the day, AF! Right on the $$$$ on all accounts.

Alas, the Cardinals rarely do anything bold. But, if any time warrants it, it's now. Without a pass rush for the next 12 games, there will be no chance at another Super Bowl berth.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Meh.. We have plenty of pass catchers on this team. Tony is just an average blocker if that anymore. Just not enough balls to go around.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh.. We have plenty of pass catchers on this team. Tony is just an average blocker if that anymore. Just not enough balls to go around.

I'm inclined to agree even though the thought of TG here is scary. AS said in the other thread, Kurt's going to audible to a pass more often than not as it is, giving him another excuse to do so is not necessarily the right approach. Yeah it's one more target but we've already shown at times we can't protect Kurt, another guy who doesn't block but is a great receiver is just more inspiration to Kurt to pass more.

IMHO the key to this season is the run game and specifically Beanie Wells. The best way we can slow down speed rushers against our Tackles is by running the ball right at them and punishing them for rushing upfield. Remember the loss to the Colts the announcers were saying that over and over if you let a team rush their ends upfield like that over and over and don't punish them with the run, you're going to get your QB killed.

I say right now if Wells gets less than 600 yards rushing this year we won't make the playoffs. He has 95 now so I'm saying he needs to get more than 505 in the remaining 12 games. Even 600 would only be 50 yards a game.
The team either makes a commitment to running the ball more and that means more Wells, or we're completely at the mercy of Kurt being on, not getting hit to much, staying healthy etc. It worked last year just not sure any QB can do that 2 years in a row at Kurt's age.

I think he should still be the starter, but I think Whiz has to put some limits on his changing the plays so much. I really believe houston was just suckering him a lot with the safety in the box but dropping out or a LB dropping out. They had figured out some things in coverage and pass rush that were working and they actually wanted Kurt audibling to the pass, I think they realized it was going to give them more time on offense.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
The only way Tony G would have made a big impact on this team is if he was converted to OLB and found a way to get some pressure on the opposing QB. Our passing game is the last of worries and now that Ben Patrick is back we have a solid all around TE.

Doug

B a n n ed WARRIOR
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Lynn Haven Florida(Panama City)1 mile away.
It gets tiring talking about getting speed recievers with sure hands like the future Hall of Famer in Tony G.

We lack speed recievers with REAL seperation in Fitz and Boldin.Breaston is our only one and he is banged up and questionable for the rest of the season.We put our points on the board by passing.Although we may end up running it in the last 2 yards though many times.

Yes our biggest need is a speedy pass rusher right now and I'm not sure how much help our second round pick would have been in this first year unless he was in awesome shape to dominate some defensive tackles which he never did in preseason.

So we'll have to become a team that can learn on the fly how to blitz without the offense knowing its coming.So far unsuccessfull with one of our biggest talents turned invisible by the packages used by Coach Davis so far this season.We can't give up.We've got to keep trying different things to get to the passer.It can be done.

One game at a time.Like we only have one game left to play this season and we may just make it again.The negative vibes from the vast majority of the fanbase is understandable but not helpfull.The team has to do it on its own anyway.Its them against the world.They'll surely feel that way this Sunday at qwest field too.:)

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
It wodl be nice if we could find someone to replace Berry and would actually contribute. Right now Berry is a waste of a roster space.