Mavericks @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-10-2022 - Game 5

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You keep going back to football. Basket is a sport where 1 player can bend the defense to do whatever they want. The whole take what the defense gives you thing doesn’t work for basketball.

This part of the game translates.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns won in spite of CP3 last night. It’s ok to admit that. It’s just the truth.
Kinda like its ok to Admit that Monty has been slow to react and make changes, but finally did some last night.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
games 3 and 4 weren’t just bad… they were all time awful games.

But I think last night was still Bad. He just looks exhausted from the jump.
This is what I was alluding to in my question post. Two series in a row two teams have made it a mission to just beat the hell out of him and tire him out. It's worked in 5/12 games. He looks beat-up and exhausted to me. More so than I have ever seen him. To me it's taking its toll on him over the course of two series.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think he needs to put an assistant in charge of reminding him about options beyond the starting 5 and the first 2 or 3 off the bench for those situations and matchups that warrant it.
I assume he’s got that in place already…. I assume every coach/team does…
But, I could be wrong.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You keep going back to football. Basket is a sport where 1 player can bend the defense to do whatever they want. The whole take what the defense gives you thing doesn’t work for basketball.
That’s not entirely true. Not every player in the nba can bend defenses to do what they want. In fact most teams don’t have a single player that can do that. I don’t even think Booker can do that. Paul can when playing peak Paul ball, but even then defenses can be designed to stifle him but then they’ll have to sacrifice something else, and that’s what it means to take what they give you - leverage where they weaken themselves.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm usually the first person to defend the coach (any sport). I'm well aware that, in addition to knowing the game better than we do, our Coach has far more intimate knowledge of the players than any of us do. But in this case, I've watched Monty do this in the past. And he has, on at least two occasions, admitted to the press that he completely forgot about one of his bench players and regretted not using him in hindsight.

So, knowing he locks in on his main guys and loses sight of his bench, I can't help but get concerned when I see clear needs that could perhaps be solved by using on of his deep bench guys. I think he's a great coach but they all have weak areas and no coach can do it all. I think he needs to put an assistant in charge of reminding him about options beyond the starting 5 and the first 2 or 3 off the bench for those situations and matchups that warrant it.

Willie Green used to be really good at offering Monty suggestions. I'm not sure how it's being handled now.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Should be interesting to see how Payne is handled now. Does he see the court now that he got a game to sit and watch. Maybe calm down? Or is his confidence now shot?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Should be interesting to see how Payne is handled now. Does he see the court now that he got a game to sit and watch. Maybe calm down? Or is his confidence now shot?
I would assume he's tough. He somehow went from playing in China to playing awesome under-control basketball in the west finals. That's a sign that he's resilient and confident. He might also be hurt.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't see how it can't help. Payne needs to see the bigger picture and that is running the team.

He needs to be more selective with his shots and figure out what he used to do best... getting to the basket.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to PHNX podcast about the game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So you can't admit it what is staring you in the face. gotcha.
Ugh….

I can admit that Monty hung with Payne longer than I would’ve preferred.
I can also say that I’m fine with Monty’s decision as to how he is using a role player or two.
I am not willing to say Monty’s decision to hand with Payne, was wrong. It was arguably a decision that many would’ve made differently. But does that make it wrong?
Like I said, I am certain there were many factors that were part of Monty’s decision-making. How he analyzed those factors that led to Payne’s playing time - we’ll likely never know. But in terms of Monty’s decision-making skills, he’s won my confidence at this point.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Monty is incredibly fluid with his top 10 players. If Payne looks good in practice today, he'll get some burn in the next game. Count on that. He's not benched for the rest of the playoffs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseyslayer