Mavericks @ Suns Tuesday Playoff game thread, R2, 5-10-2022 - Game 5

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to PHNX podcast about the game.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
So you can't admit it what is staring you in the face. gotcha.
Ugh….

I can admit that Monty hung with Payne longer than I would’ve preferred.
I can also say that I’m fine with Monty’s decision as to how he is using a role player or two.
I am not willing to say Monty’s decision to hand with Payne, was wrong. It was arguably a decision that many would’ve made differently. But does that make it wrong?
Like I said, I am certain there were many factors that were part of Monty’s decision-making. How he analyzed those factors that led to Payne’s playing time - we’ll likely never know. But in terms of Monty’s decision-making skills, he’s won my confidence at this point.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Monty is incredibly fluid with his top 10 players. If Payne looks good in practice today, he'll get some burn in the next game. Count on that. He's not benched for the rest of the playoffs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted to go back and give Mikal Bridges special praise for his defense. It seemed like he was everywhere.

Bridges had 14 points on 6-13 shooting, 7 rebounds, 1 assist and 4 steals.

Booker was phenomenal and the Suns played well as a team.

Landry Shamet and Bismack Biyombo were special surprises.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should be interesting to see how Payne is handled now. Does he see the court now that he got a game to sit and watch. Maybe calm down? Or is his confidence now shot?
I have no answer to the Payne question, mostly because all we know is that he hasn't played well in games. If he's been equally ineffective in practice then it's just a matter of holding him out of games until he starts playing better in practice. If he's already been tearing it up in practice, I guess it's time to bring in a shrink.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Should be interesting to see how Payne is handled now. Does he see the court now that he got a game to sit and watch. Maybe calm down? Or is his confidence now shot?
Payne has had one good season in the NBA in his career and his confidence is off the charts. I don’t see getting benched changing that.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I wanted to go back and give Mikal Bridges special praise for his defense. It seemed like he was everywhere.

Bridges had 14 points on 6-13 shooting, 7 rebounds, 1 assist and 4 steals.

Booker was phenomenal and the Suns played well as a team.

Landry Shamet and Bismack Biyombo were special surprises.
Yeah this was by far Mikal's best game this series.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty is incredibly fluid with his top 10 players. If Payne looks good in practice today, he'll get some burn in the next game. Count on that. He's not benched for the rest of the playoffs.

I dont think anyone here thinks Payne is benched for the playoffs.

The question is, does he get some burn for game 6?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Playoffs are about matchups. Payne will be fine he was just outmatched with this team, it happens. He's played better than I expected all year, Im not giving up.

People seem to overlook how big the Mavs guards are. Obviously Payne is too small to matchup with Luka and Dinwiddie is also a lot bigger than him. Brunson has a fair amount of size on him as well. The Mavs are a bad matchup for him, and would be even worse for Holiday. That's why Shamet was so effective the other game. He's about their size and allowed us to match up better in terms of size and physicality.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People seem to overlook how big the Mavs guards are. Obviously Payne is too small to matchup with Luka and Dinwiddie is also a lot bigger than him. Brunson has a fair amount of size on him as well. The Mavs are a bad matchup for him, and would be even worse for Holiday. That's why Shamet was so effective the other game. He's about their size and allowed us to match up better in terms of size and physicality.

With Payne, his game almost seems predicated on his ability to get to the basket and score. When he does that, everything seems to flow from there.

I'm not sure why this part of his game has disappeared. There should be the occasional opportunity. In one game he was taking bad angles but this should be correctable. It almost seems like he is avoiding the contact.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With Payne, his game almost seems predicated on his ability to get to the basket and score. When he does that, everything seems to flow from there.

I'm not sure why this part of his game has disappeared. There should be the occasional opportunity. In one game he was taking bad angles but this should be correctable. It almost seems like he is avoiding the contact.

He's struggling to get to the basket because of how the Mavs are playing defense. They aren't playing straight up, they're playing the passing lanes which is also where Payne drives. With the size discrepancy they're able to bother him more by banging him around.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's struggling to get to the basket because of how the Mavs are playing defense. They aren't playing straight up, they're playing the passing lanes which is also where Payne drives. With the size discrepancy they're able to bother him more by banging him around.

The problem is Cam Payne hasn't played consistently for awhile. It's not just this playoff series.

It could relate to when he missed 15 games with a right wrist sprain during January and February although he had some good games in March.

I sometimes wonder if his inconsistent play could be related to the injury.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't follow this thread much the other night, but giving it a skim over, the Paul critiques are mind boggling.

He had a few of his patented shots barely rim out... who gives a crap.

Some people need to watch the game and not worry about if one guy is scoring points. Paul was crucial, he played great defense, made several unreal passes, a big reason why Biz, Bridges and Ayton got going again is because Paul did what he could to get them good looks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't follow this thread much the other night, but giving it a skim over, the Paul critiques are mind boggling.

He had a few of his patented shots barely rim out... who gives a crap.

Some people need to watch the game and not worry about if one guy is scoring points. Paul was crucial, he played great defense, made several unreal passes, a big reason why Biz, Bridges and Ayton got going again is because Paul did what he could to get them good looks.
Yeah about the only thing I agreed with in the comments about Paul was that he was worn out. But it wasn't from old age, leprosy or whatever, it was from working hard and taking a physical beating from Doncic and screeners. Those same screeners did the same thing to Bridges.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It seems counter-intuitive, but this team seems to play better when the deep bench gets some burn--and that is not just garbage time burn.

Boyimbo, Shamet, and Holliday.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems counter-intuitive, but this team seems to play better when the deep bench gets some burn--and that is not just garbage time burn.

I would say that's because Monty is more fluid with his rotations.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Not at all. ive been saying they need to go a bit deeper and longer, thats what she said.

I know crowder has been more consistent this series, but i t was a blessing he picked up some quick fouls which led to CJ coming in sooner, then with cp3 dwindling Shamet was brought it as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose