Mavericks @ Suns Sunday game thread 8-2-20 (season restart)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last I heard Mark Bryant was working with Ayton. It wouldn't hurt to add someone else.

I think it could hurt adding another bigs coach with Bryant. You don't want Ayton, or anyone, being told 2 different things and trying to decide which is best on his own. He's got Bryant now and that's helped based on all the press I've read about Ayton's development and seeing his improvement on the defensive end of the floor.

Ayton's development seems to be trending the right way. There's no need to disrupt it by changing coaches on him again. He's not a finished product right now but he's still averaging just below 20 & 12 with 2 blocks. I don't think you can coach a player any higher than he's at now. He'll need to make the next step to stardom on his own.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it could hurt adding another bigs coach with Bryant. You don't want Ayton, or anyone, being told 2 different things and trying to decide which is best on his own. He's got Bryant now and that's helped based on all the press I've read about Ayton's development and seeing his improvement on the defensive end of the floor.

Ayton's development seems to be trending the right way. There's no need to disrupt it by changing coaches on him again. He's not a finished product right now but he's still averaging just below 20 & 12 with 2 blocks. I don't think you can coach a player any higher than he's player now. He'll need to make the next step to stardom on his own.

Russ and I were talking about something like Pete Newell big man camp... it would be supplement the coaching he is already receiving from Mark Bryant. I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a former big man for him to go against in practice to give him a different look. I'm not suggesting that he is being coached incorrectly.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone needs to explain this to me. Looks like it has something to do with pokemon.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Ayton's development seems to be trending the right way. There's no need to disrupt it by changing coaches on him again. He's not a finished product right now but he's still averaging just below 20 & 12 with 2 blocks. I don't think you can coach a player any higher than he's player now. He'll need to make the next step to stardom on his own.

I agreed with everything but regarding the last sentence.... DA is externally motivated. He needs teammates and coaches to pump him up and keep him focused. If we’re looking for an “inner fire” type boost to become KG-Duncan-Hakeem we’re going to be looking forever.

It’s on Jones and Monty to surround him with the perfect cast to maximize his talents.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone needs to explain this to me. Looks like it has something to do with pokemon.

I think you're on the right track that it's about Pokemon but deciphering the message? Good luck.

Kelly Oubre is way cooler than we can ever hope to be.

:shrug:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He had a bad game lol
BUT a fart away from a double double
Every time that is posted, I have to react.

A double-double means nothing if our #1 pick, and a Center, is not a difference
maker in wins and losses.

Cellar dwelling teams brag about double-doubles. Winners do not miss the playoffs.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
A fart would've been more egregious than half the fouls those refs were calling.
It's the old story. The soft teams don't get the calls.

And that is being perpetuated by Ayton.

We need a Power Forward who is an enforcer.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, again with stats. Obviously, his stats have not equated to wins.

But they have amounted to wins considering the Suns are better with Ayton than without. If he doesn't put up numbers then you'll say he's ineffective. Why don't you just say that stylistically he's not the sort of Center that you want to see and leave it at that because you don't seem to be judging him objectively.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But they have amounted to wins considering the Suns are better with Ayton than without. If he doesn't put up numbers then you'll say he's ineffective. Why don't you just say that stylistically he's not the sort of Center that you want to see and leave it at that because you don't seem to be judging him objectively.

Yeah, statistically, we play better when Ayton is in the game and we have a better record when Ayton is in the lineup. It's a team game so it's not fair to judge any one player by our record or whether we make the playoffs but that said, I think we all are expecting bigger things than we've seen to date from our top pick.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Geez! One question: With Ayton on the Bench with 5 fouls, how do you not bring back the Bobanator! If you are Dallas, how does Boban not get some second half run?

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Geez! One question: With Ayton on the Bench with 5 fouls, how do you not bring back the Bobanator! If you are Dallas, how does Boban not get some second half run?

Carlisle made multiple mystifying decisions in this game that allowed the Suns to steal it. Not trying to tie up the game and go to overtime after Booker fouled out, and subsequently drawing up a play for a guy that was cold as ice from 3, left me joyously stupefied.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love to have Boban on this team. He just adds a different dimension when he comes off the bench. Gimmicky players like that are useful sometimes. Jevon Carter is a little like that. He is sort of a gimmick player. He plays that annoying smothering D that opponents just hate, but his other pg skills are mediocre. But that D is really useful at times.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Always changing course aren’t you BC?
Always getting personal, aren't you, Chap?

C'mon, man. Post about basketball!

The Suns are now playing, for the past three games,
how we've been waiting to see for a long, long time.

Good feelings watching good team basketball.

Why would you want to put a damper on it?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Always getting personal, aren't you, Chap?

C'mon, man. Post about basketball!

The Suns are now playing, for the past three games,
how we've been waiting to see for a long, long time.

Good feelings watching good team basketball.

Why would you want to put a damper on it?
How is it personal?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Do you not read your posts?

You must be registered for see images attach

I post to discuss my favorite teams. I'm putting you on ignore.
LOL Maybe stop moving the goalposts to support your negative agenda.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose