Mavericks @ Suns 10-17-18 (season opener)

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Canaan did a good job manning the PG spot. He's not a long term solution there but if he continues to play like he did in the Mavericks game for a few more games then I think other teams won't be able to leverage us into giving up too much for a PG if we do make a trade to address the position. I really hope Kokoskov sticks with Canaan in the next game rather than giving the spot to Crawford. Crawford is not a real PG but he can handle some backup PG duties if needed. Canaan played well enough that his job at starting PG should be safe for now, at least.

I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves in regards to the PG spot but Canaan could be a decent option there if he can maintain his current level of play. What I find hopeful about him is he also played well with us last year, even though it was only 20 games. Maybe he's finally found a role for himself.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Canaan did a good job manning the PG spot. He's not a long term solution there but if he continues to play like he did in the Mavericks game for a few more games then I think other teams won't be able to leverage us into giving up too much for a PG if we do make a trade to address the position. I really hope Kokoskov sticks with Canaan in the next game rather than giving the spot to Crawford. Crawford is not a real PG but he can handle some backup PG duties if needed. Canaan played well enough that his job at starting PG should be safe for now, at least.

I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves in regards to the PG spot but Canaan could be a decent option there if he can maintain his current level of play. What I find hopeful about him is he also played well with us last year, even though it was only 20 games. Maybe he's finally found a role for himself.
I totally agree with you. I think Igor does too. He already said that Crawford will come off the bench in the next game. This is the wise approach. Canaan has been what he needs to be. He plays D as a complement to Booker, he hits the open three, he brings the ball up the court and initiates the offense. This offense, as we all should now see, does not demand a Nash-type pg to create for everyone. Everyone should be getting assists.

All ball dominant pg would be horrible for this offense. That is why they traded BK away. The ball just sticks in his hands too much. Crawford would fit that category too. That is why he has to come off the bench. We need to keep that in mind as we consider trades.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I didn't watch too closely last season but what I did see from Canaan he looked pretty good.

His play against Dallas was exactly what we need from that spot. Why is everyone convinced he is not the solution at PG?

We don't need a superstar PG. In fact, I'd say a PG that can play like Canaan did against Dallas on a consistent basis and a real PF would be ideal.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Canaan seemed fine to me, other than the hero ball stuff we already talked about, but I was pleasantly surprised by his defensive ability. Dennis Smith isn't an easy cover.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Canaan was solid. He mostly played within the structure of the offense and deferred when he should. He tried hero ball a few times, but he mostly played solid.

I'm all for letting him start until a better option presents itself. He has the best feel for the game for the point guards on the team.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
One thing that helps Canaan is that he is really strong. He is very difficult to push in order to create space. I really like the kid. I'd like him more off the bench, but I do like him. I really tend to like players who don't have a glaring weakness, and he definitely fits that. He isn't great at anything, but he is competent-to-good at everything.

Edit: As for the hero ball, he seemed set on scoring on Jordan for some reason. Each instance of "hero ball" was him attacking the rim with Jordan defending. I wonder if Jordan did something to get under his skin.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing that helps Canaan is that he is really strong. He is very difficult to push in order to create space. I really like the kid. I'd like him more off the bench, but I do like him. I really tend to like players who don't have a glaring weakness, and he definitely fits that. He isn't great at anything, but he is competent-to-good at everything.

Edit: As for the hero ball, he seemed set on scoring on Jordan for some reason. Each instance of "hero ball" was him attacking the rim with Jordan defending. I wonder if Jordan did something to get under his skin.
Our future starting pg really needs to be just a better version of Canaan.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a serious PG problem headed into training camp and preseason, now we have a depth problem and that is much easier to solve. I'm glad Canaan has proved last season wasn't a fluke and he is a solid to good backup PG. He could end up being an Elliott Perry type for us, who knows. Thankfully he made a full recovery from his injury because I can only imagine what it would look like without him here. I know he's not the sort of player you're happy is starting at PG for us and it's not because of an injury but I'll take his 2 or 3 hero ball attempts to Mike James any day of the week. Canaan seems to be the sort of player that you can cover for him if you have the right players on the floor with him and a good system, we seem to have that now.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I'm fine with Canaan and Okobo. Let Melton and Shaq earn playing time in practice. Jackson had some problems handling PG duties in spurts versus the Mavs so I hope Okobo adjusts to the NBA quickly. Pretty good game by Jackson. I really think he can be the third star next to Booker and Ayton, so I hope we don't deal him for a rental on some star PG that will not get us consistently past the biguns in the west. One step at a time.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That IS Doncic’s speed. One of the knocks on him was foot speed. When that is a problem in the Euroleague it will be compounded in the NBA. He is still going to be a good player though. He is a pf not a point guard.
I think once he gets into shape, he will solidify himself as a SF more than a PF. Not that those distinctions even matter considering Boston starts Gordon Hayward as their PF.

Don't see his foot speed being a big issue. Paul Pierce was never the quickest guy on the court yet churned out a HOF career just by using his size effectively and that's why Doncic will need to learn to do.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

As last year, not to mention all of his other seasons, proved, Canaan cannot maintain that level of play. I would caution you not to get your hopes up.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Actually, he took a few bad contested threes, including one he actually made, which was a 30-foot fade away with his man in his face relatively early in the shot clock.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Part of it may be trying to get him in foul trouble, which obviously didn't work.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As last year, not to mention all of his other seasons, proved, Canaan cannot maintain that level of play. I would caution you not to get your hopes up.

Because he suffered a freak injury that in no way was related to playing too much? Using that same logic, Boston made a huge mistake paying Gordon Hayward since he snapped his leg in the opening game last season. Paul George is on borrowed time as well, who knows why the Thunder traded assets for him and paid him like they did.

If Canaan were on another team right now I could see you pining for brighter days where the Suns trade for him to take over as our starter. That isn't a reach either since you talked about how Ulis would be an upgrade for us when we played the Warriors in preseason. Ulis is not better than Canaan though. That was proven last year and it's still be shown each day Canaan gets NBA minutes while Ulis is hoping for a Two-Way contract from somewhere.

Things could be better for us at PG but they're not as bad as some thought. Yes, it was one game but that one game from him looks a lot like how he handled the position last year when we brought him in. I know that was a small sample size but it was reasonably consistent with the rest of his play while he's been in the NBA.

It's ok the Suns aren't a disaster. You would think fans would be happy about that rather than sitting back just for the opportunity to say "I told you so!". That day may not come and if it does, so what? You were right on a message board where most people have blocked you because they're tired of the constant belly aching. So you won't even get the respect of your peers if you were right. So why keep harping on and on? Sarver isn't offering you a job. Enjoy this season for what it is, that's what everyone else has decided to do. That Mavericks game was quite enjoyable. It's a shame you couldn't enjoy it with the rest of us.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Because he suffered a freak injury that in no way was related to playing too much? Using that same logic, Boston made a huge mistake paying Gordon Hayward since he snapped his leg in the opening game last season. Paul George is on borrowed time as well, who knows why the Thunder traded assets for him and paid him like they did.

If Canaan were on another team right now I could see you pining for brighter days where the Suns trade for him to take over as our starter. That isn't a reach either since you talked about how Ulis would be an upgrade for us when we played the Warriors in preseason. Ulis is not better than Canaan though. That was proven last year and it's still be shown each day Canaan gets NBA minutes while Ulis is hoping for a Two-Way contract from somewhere.

Things could be better for us at PG but they're not as bad as some thought. Yes, it was one game but that one game from him looks a lot like how he handled the position last year when we brought him in. I know that was a small sample size but it was reasonably consistent with the rest of his play while he's been in the NBA.

It's ok the Suns aren't a disaster. You would think fans would be happy about that rather than sitting back just for the opportunity to say "I told you so!". That day may not come and if it does, so what? You were right on a message board where most people have blocked you because they're tired of the constant belly aching. So you won't even get the respect of your peers if you were right. So why keep harping on and on? Sarver isn't offering you a job. Enjoy this season for what it is, that's what everyone else has decided to do. That Mavericks game was quite enjoyable. It's a shame you couldn't enjoy it with the rest of us.

In terms of last year, I was talking about Canaan's play before the injury, where he had a promising game or two, and then his play fell off. Same thing has happened pretty much at every stop he has had.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Crawford has had the same role for every team he’s played for. Surprised he didn’t suit up vs Dallas.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crawford has had the same role for every team he’s played for. Surprised he didn’t suit up vs Dallas.

I think it was all about getting Crawford some practice time.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I saw a small blurb where Harrison signed a two-way contract with the Bulls. The wau jos D fe;; pff after starting a few SL ane preseason games was depressing. If he doesn't get back to that he will probably have a short career.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a small blurb where Harrison signed a two-way contract with the Bulls. The wau jos D fe;; pff after starting a few SL ane preseason games was depressing. If he doesn't get back to that he will probably have a short career.

I'd like to say I agree with you but...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd like to say I agree with you but...
That was quite a mess... excuse - injured right arm and hand so it hurts to type.

Lol, came off like a malfunctioning robot.

Hope your arm feels better buddy, you're gunna need it with how beautiful the Suns are going to look!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
hard to watch the Cards game tonight after the Suns first game. Talk about extremes. Probably one of the better basketball games I have seen recently versus one of the worst football games I have recently seen. Harshing my mellow, man.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
As a Suns fan we are ALWAYS lacking at a spot in the rotation. Most often it was the Center spot being our weak spot. Sometimes at a decade or more for the Center position. Right now it happens to be at the PG position. Just learn to live with that 1Sun. All us old guys could tell you the frustration of, "If only we had an AVERAGE center...."

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
As a Suns fan we are ALWAYS lacking at a spot in the rotation. Most often it was the Center spot being our weak spot. Sometimes at a decade or more for the Center position. Right now it happens to be at the PG position. Just learn to live with that 1Sun. All us old guys could tell you the frustration of, "If only we had an AVERAGE center...."

I agree that we have been deficient at center historically, but other than when we were desperate enough to trade Dennis Johnson for Rick Robey (still the worst trade in franchise history, in my opinion), I don't think we were ever as deficient at center as we are now at point guard.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose