Matt Mclain #25 pick decides to go to school rather than sign with the Diamondbacks

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Zach Buchanan @ZHBuchanan

I can confirm the @JonHeyman report that No. 25 overall pick Matt McLain will not sign with the Diamondbacks. As a result, Diamondbacks will get essentially the same pick next year, in addition to the first-rounder they'll earn based on their finish this season.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
On the bright side we will have an extra first next year and the allocated 2.5 mil or so in bonus pool money to go after some higher upside guys . Just trying to be glass half full lol

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Seems like this is a decision that should be made before a professional team wastes their first round pick. The kid can choose whatever he wants, but make a decision before others make their corporate decisions based on you. Don't enter the draft, get picked in the first round, then say "Psych....just kidding...I'm not really interested in being drafted." once the whole thing has ended.

Kudos to the kid, I guess, for being 18 and snubbing 2.6 million dollars. That's retirement money all by itself if you have half a brain.

First year draft rules: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/rules.jsp

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Seems like this is a decision that should be made before a professional team wastes their first round pick. The kid can choose whatever he wants, but make a decision before others make their corporate decisions based on you. Don't enter the draft, get picked in the first round, then say "Psych....just kidding...I'm not really interested in being drafted." once the whole thing has ended.

Kudos to the kid, I guess, for being 18 and snubbing 2.6 million dollars. That's retirement money all by itself if you have half a brain.

First year draft rules: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/rules.jsp
Sure, 18 year old kids are unpredictable but it is somebodies job to make sure the kid you are using your first round pick on is going to sign. If he goes to college that guy failed at his job.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
So not only was the kid a reach at #26 he ends up not signing, good job Hazen. Both Jackson Kowar & Steele Walker signed at the deadline, guys who would have been much better picks than McLain. The only saving grace is 11th round pick SS Blaze Alexander is looking good in Rookie League so far, he was a steal where he was taken.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He claims it's no surprise and says a couple of times they knew this would happen...

Soo,,,, what was the point? To get the extra pick next year?

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
I think I would rather have the pick for next year. I thought McLain was a reach anyways.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure how comp picks work but after losing Corbin and Pollock , combine with the McClain pick and the competitive balance round pick they get, the dbacks should or could have 6 picks in the first two rounds and a sizable bonus pool to go for some high upside guys next year and really get the prospect pipeline where it needs to be .

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not sure how comp picks work but after losing Corbin and Pollock , combine with the McClain pick and the competitive balance round pick they get, the dbacks should or could have 6 picks in the first two rounds and a sizable bonus pool to go for some high upside guys next year and really get the prospect pipeline where it needs to be .

Theylll probably have four picks in the top-40 but first rd picks need to be signed. We’ve had Pollock and Miley make an impact at the ML level but no first rd picks other than that since Sherzer. Meanwhile Touki Toussaint is dominating AA. It’s a bad look for the organization all around.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He claims it's no surprise and says a couple of times they knew this would happen...

Soo,,,, what was the point? To get the extra pick next year?
Makes it even worse knowing he was going to honor his college commitment.

I think I would rather have the pick for next year. I thought McLain was a reach anyways.
With Hazen’s first 2 drafts in books, I worry about his future drafts. Granted he has lucked out with Varsho & Alexander looking like a studs the rest of his picks look shaky.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI - the Dbacks used that pick in 2019 to draft and sign Blake Wallston

Azjose86

Veteran
Reaction score
Another reason why MLB is a joke. They need to make players commit if they will enter the draft. If they enter the draft and they get drafted, then that guy should commit to whatever team drafts him.

Or if the guy chooses to go back to school, then he can't play for another MLB team for 5 years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave