Mass Shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by DemsMyBoys, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

This is just so awful. I've said it before but my dad is from New Zealand and I'm a dual citizen. My dad is actually about to retire, finally, and NZ was very high on the list of places to go. This is just so sad, 49 innocent people slaughtered by these racist bastards who cite other mass murderers, and Donald Trump, as part of their inspiration. First thread on FB i looked at why does everyone blame Trump for stuff like this, maybe because the people who did it cited him? Were there any armed people that couldhave stopped this, yes that's the problem we need MORE guns.

This is just so depressing

2. 82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad 7 x 70

So damn sad... I’ve seen reports that these murderers also cited allegiance to Candace Owens? WTF?? And I’ve read post after post on Facebook from those who support her and Trump, blaming the gun laws in NZ and that because the manifesto showed support for people like Trump and Owens, that this is definitely a “Black Ops” event, intended to conjure up anti-Trump sentiment!!

All I can do is fall on my knees and pray. Lord be with us all...

3. TJ

TJ Captain Steal Yo Girl

DemsMyBoys and Russ Smith like this.
  4. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

“They (the victims) have something to say to every politician who has fed his constituents with the stale bread of hatred and the spoiled meat of racism,” King said. “They say to us that we must be concerned not merely about who murdered them, but about the system, the way of life, the philosophy which produced the murderers.”

Martin Luther King

5. Russ Smith

From what I read the mentions of Owens in the manifesto come off as almost trolling, like the guy knew people were going to pick it apart so he threw her in as a red herring kind of thing but who knows. her reaction wasn't particularly nice but I guess there's not really a good reaction to a tragedy like this.

At a certain point people have to realize, there are consequences in life, if you do the wrong thing bad things might happen, if you say the wrong thing bad things might happen. If you tell a 2 year old to stick his finger in a power outlet he just might do it and get shocked. If you tell your dog "sick him" he just might bite the mailman. If you spend years and millions of dollars campaigning on dividing people and hate, you just might rile up people who were already predisposed to that sort of thing. And if they have weapons, this tragedy might be the result.

Donald Trump didn't shoot anybody, But you can't campaign on hate and rhetoric and then claim complete innocence.

If I didn't have to be at work today I'd be curled up in a ball in bed right now I'm just so tired of these sort of acts being met by don't blame Trump, stay away from my guns, the real issue is mental health etc.

Hopes and prayers don't work

LoyaltyisaCurse and AzStevenCal like this.
  6. puckhead

puckhead Waxing Gibbous Contributor

We've learned absolutely nothing since MLK's time. Maybe we should just destroy the climate and let nature determine a species that deserves this planet. I'm so disgusted right now.

7. MrYeahbut

MrYeahbut rilly bruh, rilly?? Contributor

I posted essentially the same sentiment in another thread about my friend whose family was sent to the Japanese internment camps during WWII.

Our country has learned nothing in the 75 years since then.

Russ Smith likes this.
  8. carrrnuttt

carrrnuttt Didactic

I was on Facebook Messenger until 3am last night with my sister. Although she lives in Auckland, which is quite a ways from Christchurch, I had to make sure, as she travels around NZ a lot both for business and pleasure.

After I found she was ok, I just let her vent about the situation. She commented on how little NZ'ers are used to such crime. I commented back about how unfortunately us Americans are. :(

UncleChris and Mainstreet like this.
  9. puckhead

I'm glad to hear your sis is ok, Carrrnuttt.

carrrnuttt likes this.
  10. LoyaltyisaCurse

LoyaltyisaCurse IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...

It still bothers the hell out of me that Drumpf won’t call THIS terrorism. :(

11. puckhead

I take it back, we learned something. That hate gets ratings and votes.

12. Russ Smith

My dad has friends over there and emailed the same thing this morning. I think that's why this one hits me so hard, this is hate that was spread in part from the US, to a country where this doesn't happen. They are absolutely stunned. There was a quote in the paper this morning from someone who said I feel like we lost, I feel defeated, we let hate win.

Obviously NZ has a history of racism too with the Maoris but this sort of thing is so unusual for them. I read one guy saying the idea that there are "cells" of white supremacists in my NZ is stunning to me.

13. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen Moderator Contributor

14. Kel Varnsen

15. Kel Varnsen