Marvel Comics Reboot Will Introduce Big Changes And New Characters

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

http://www.cinemablend.com/pop/Marv...es-Characters-72304.html#sthash.Hahhx3tO.dpuf

It’s been no secret that Marvel was planning some big changes to their comic lineup this year, we’ve already seen some major shifts in Marvel’s comic universe, but it looks like they are planning for a lot more. Get ready for an all new Marvel comics.

Referring to the relaunch as “All New” and “All Different” Marvel is now planning a complete reset that will introduce new characters, and make significant changes to existing ones. With the reboot all Marvel titles will be reset back to issue #1 and will begin anew.

Marvel has already made headlines in recent months by making changes to a couple well-known characters. The mantle of Thor is now held by a woman. Sam Wilson (that’s The Falcon to you) is the new Captain America. Don’t expect those positions to change after everything else changes. Marvel received a lot of positive press when they happened and would likely receive the opposite if they changed back, especially so soon.

While comic reboots are nothing new in history it’s usually been the guys over at DC hitting the reset button. They hit that button a lot. While Marvel has made minor resets to individual characters now and then it’s always handled within the existing Marvel Universe. This appears to be a drastic restart of literally everything. Check out the image below as well as the header for an idea what the new Marvel Universe will look like.

You must be registered for see images

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bad Idea. Marvel is selling out to the PC crowd.....whatever,...it is a business I know,...but I do not have to buy the product.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I used to spend what little money I made in allowance and doing odd jobs on comics when I was a kid. I loved Marvel, Daredevil was my favorite (to me the best ever stories were Frank Miller's run with Daredevil) but I also loved all the different mutant books. I have looked at super hero comics recently and it just isn't the same, I didn't even feel a sense of nostalgia...now with this reboot I feel even further removed but obviously I am not their target audience.

However, I just started buying some comics again recently...the new Star Wars books published by Marvel mainly because I am a Star Wars geek more than anything. I am enjoying those book immensely and am pleased they are part of the new Star Wars "canon".

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care if Nick Fury is black. I don't care if Johnny Storm is black.

I don't care if Spiderman isn't white, as long as he is still Peter Parker.

If you want to create a story about a guy called "Miles Morales", then make him something other than "Spiderman"

Same goes for Captain America. Captain America is Steve Rogers, not Bucky Barnes, Sam Wilson, or anyone else.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

http://www.cinemablend.com/pop/Marv...es-Characters-72304.html#sthash.Hahhx3tO.dpuf

It’s been no secret that Marvel was planning some big changes to their comic lineup this year, we’ve already seen some major shifts in Marvel’s comic universe, but it looks like they are planning for a lot more. Get ready for an all new Marvel comics.

Referring to the relaunch as “All New” and “All Different” Marvel is now planning a complete reset that will introduce new characters, and make significant changes to existing ones. With the reboot all Marvel titles will be reset back to issue #1 and will begin anew.

Marvel has already made headlines in recent months by making changes to a couple well-known characters. The mantle of Thor is now held by a woman. Sam Wilson (that’s The Falcon to you) is the new Captain America. Don’t expect those positions to change after everything else changes. Marvel received a lot of positive press when they happened and would likely receive the opposite if they changed back, especially so soon.

While comic reboots are nothing new in history it’s usually been the guys over at DC hitting the reset button. They hit that button a lot. While Marvel has made minor resets to individual characters now and then it’s always handled within the existing Marvel Universe. This appears to be a drastic restart of literally everything. Check out the image below as well as the header for an idea what the new Marvel Universe will look like.

You must be registered for see images

is that a female wolverine?!?!?!

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, X-23.

Marvel Teases All-New Female Wolverine

http://www.craveonline.com/comics/articles/864381-marvel-teases-new-female-wolverine

X-23 aka Laura Kinney is the female clone of James Howlett aka Logan aka Wolverine. After some initial weirdness between them, Logan accepted Laura as his surrogate daughter. It makes sense that she’d wear one of his old costumes as a tribute, but it would look better without the mask.

So wolverine will still be around, she is just another wolverine. That is ok.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to buy a lot of comics and then just kind of moved on. This doesn't entice me to return in the least bit. But as was mentioned earlier, I'm not exactly the target audience. It does beg the question, though, who is?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to buy a lot of comics and then just kind of moved on. This doesn't entice me to return in the least bit. But as was mentioned earlier, I'm not exactly the target audience. It does beg the question, though, who is?

Not sure. I'm not a fan of this move.

I wonder what this does to their movie rights when they alter characters/team membership of characters or even the origins of characters. As the picture shows Ben Grimm aka The Thing in a Guardians of the Galaxy uniform which matches Rocket Raccoon's. Maybe it doesn't change anything.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care if Spiderman isn't white, as long as he is still Peter Parker.

If you want to create a story about a guy called "Miles Morales", then make him something other than "Spiderman"

Miles Morales steps up as Marvel's new Spider-Man

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/miles-morales-steps-up-as-marvel-s-new-spider-man-1.3122144

Miles Morales, the half-black, half-Hispanic Spider-Man introduced in 2011, is set to take a more prominent role in Marvel Comics this fall.

Morales is poised to take over as the wise-cracking super-hero, according to the New York Daily News, replacing Peter Parker, who has been the web-slinger's alter ego since the title was introduced in the early 1960s.

Morales will reportedly be featured on the cover of a relaunched Spider-Man comic book, due out this fall.

Peter Parker, the original Spider-Man, will still be around according to Brian Michael Bendis, creator of the Morales character and writer for the upcoming comic. But Parker will be more of a mentor to Morales.

"Our message has to be it's not Spider-Man with an asterisk, it's the real Spider-Man for kids of colour, for adults of colour and everybody else," Bendis told the Daily News.

Promoting Morales as the "main" Spider-Man follows a string of shake-ups to Marvel's superhero lineup,

----------------------------

Ugh. Not a fan of this move at all.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA