Marshall sent to D-League

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall was an excellent college point guard but there were always serious doubts about his ability to play at the next level. I hated the pick because I really thought that (despite all the mocks that had him going in the late teens or early 20's) teams would have done their homework and passed on him. I was holding out hope that we could add him after the draft.

I thought he was a long shot to start in this league even if he approached Mark Jackson's game (which was his absolute ceiling IMO) because the game has changed so much since Jackson's day. He looked like a potential backup point guard before the draft, today he just looks like a former college basketball player.

Steve

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bust from the beginning. For a team with a history of great PG's, I always found this draft pick to be insanely dumb. He was never good enough athletically to be an NBA PG.

Goodbye Kendall.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bust from the beginning. For a team with a history of great PG's, I always found this draft pick to be insanely dumb. He was never good enough athletically to be an NBA PG.

Goodbye Kendall.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Goodbye Kendall.

Goodbye Kendall.

I think you made your point.

I think you made your point. :)

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Marshall being a bad shooter in college is a myth.

In fact, he was a good spot-up shooter with excellent shot-selection. He is just extremely uncomfortable with shooting after dribbling and has no elevation on his jump-shot and these two make him a non-existant scoring threat with the ball.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
June 29th, 2012, 06:10 AM by slinslin
"Jason Kidd has done well in the least 5 years as has Andre Miller and Mark Jackson years ago.

Kendall Marshall is a much better shooter than what he gets credit for. Worst case he will be a player as good as Jason Kidd during the Mavs championship run. Good enough to be a starter in the NBA.

PG defense is one of the least impactful things in basketball since even the PGs that are perceived as good defenders barely if at all do better against the top PGs in the league."

Thank you! He always does this! I'm gonna start reading back on his loss from now on when he starts making bold statements again.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall being a bad shooter in college is a myth.

In fact, he was a good spot-up shooter with excellent shot-selection. He is just extremely uncomfortable with shooting after dribbling and has no elevation on his jump-shot and these two make him a non-existant scoring threat with the ball.

You say potato. He did have good shot selection but even still he shot less than 45% from the field and less than 70% from the free throw line. For a point guard, those are bad numbers, for a point guard with slow feet AND good shot selection those are terrible numbers when projecting forward. He has poor form and that becomes more and more significant as you begin to shoot from greater distances. He has to be able to shoot from distance at this level, even Jason Kidd had to add an outside shot and Kidd was a far better player in all other aspects than Kendall is.

Steve

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You say potato. He did have good shot selection but even still he shot less than 45% from the field and less than 70% from the free throw line. For a point guard, those are bad numbers, for a point guard with slow feet AND good shot selection those are terrible numbers when projecting forward. He has poor form and that becomes more and more significant as you begin to shoot from greater distances. He has to be able to shoot from distance at this level, even Jason Kidd had to add an outside shot and Kidd was a far better player in all other aspects than Kendall is.

Steve

I'm not really sure what your point is.

You think that 45 % from the field is a bad number for a point guard (BTW, is it good for a center?).
I don't think that Marshall has bad shooting mechanics.

You had to have higher expectations toward Marshall if you compare him with Kidd.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Ofc Kendall was the best player at UNC his soph year. It was either him or Tyler Zeller and Henson #3.

Of course 20 games are far too early to call him a bust now.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what your point is.

You think that 45 % from the field is a bad number for a point guard (BTW, is it good for a center?).
I don't think that Marshall has bad shooting mechanics.

You had to have higher expectations toward Marshall if you compare him with Kidd.

If you're shooting a lot from distance or if you're the primary scoring option and you're forced to shoot against double teams or if you just take a lot of tough shots for whatever reason, 45% doesn't indicate a shooting problem. But, if you're a point guard and many of your shots come as unguarded layups and wide open 8 foot pull-ups than shooting less than 45% is a concern.

I don't know if Marshall has a future in the NBA but he's wasting his opportunity right now. The worst thing about his shot is that he just doesn't seem to know how to use his legs, he gets very little lift and he'll have a lot of trouble getting that shot off at the NBA level. His first basket as a pro says it all, the ball barely cleared the rim at any point and he shot it from 3.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ofc Kendall was the best player at UNC his soph year. It was either him or Tyler Zeller and Henson #3.

Of course 20 games are far too early to call him a bust now.

That might come as a surprise to Harrison Barnes, Tyler Zeller, Reggie Bullock, John Henson and James McAdoo - anyone of whom would have probably argued that point in their own favor. That was an incredibly loaded team and Marshall benefitted by having that much talent on the floor with him.

UNC lost in the Elite 8 without Kendall and there's no doubt his loss hurt them but it was just as much because of the earlier loss of Strickland as anything else. Losing your point guard and losing a combo guard like Strickland left them with a lot of talent but nobody to distribute the ball to them.

Personally, from an NBA standpoint, I think Marshall was the 5th or 6th best player on that team but even if you disagree with that I see no way in the world someone could just categorically state that he was the best player on that squad (as you have done twice). Even if you just look at it from a college perspective only, I can't see calling him anything more than 2nd or 3rd best.

Steve

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
That might come as a surprise to Harrison Barnes, Tyler Zeller, Reggie Bullock, John Henson and James McAdoo - anyone of whom would have probably argued that point in their own favor. That was an incredibly loaded team and Marshall benefitted by having that much talent on the floor with him.

LOL!

Nobody seriously considered Barnes UNC's best player last year.

McAdoo did almost nothing last year.

It was all Zeller and Marshall.

Btw Kendall is leading the DLeague in assists per game and assists per minute now, his assist/turnover ratio improved too (better than machado).

Now if he could stop shooting 30% he will be a decent player, even in the NBA and even it is just in backup role.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL!

Nobody seriously considered Barnes UNC's best player last year.

McAdoo did almost nothing last year.

It was all Zeller and Marshall.

Btw Kendall is leading the DLeague in assists per game and assists per minute now, his assist/turnover ratio improved too (better than machado).

Now if he could stop shooting 30% he will be a decent player, even in the NBA and even it is just in backup role.

You really say some funny things slin. NOBODY? How about the team that drafted him 7th, is there maybe a slight chance they thought he was the best player on that team? He might have been a little up and down as a scorer but he was also one of the best defensive players in the college game. Coming out of high school he was projected as the next great small forward and he never really lost the "can't miss" label, a label that was never attached to Kendall "no shot" Marshall.

Steve

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
From Coro's article....

"Marshall shot 31.3 percent from the field and failed to make 40 percent of his shot in any of his nine appearances."

wow. terrible

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why???????

Telfair and Garrett are both 40 times better!

He's not going to get playing time over Telfair, at least not for several weeks. We have a killer stretch of 29 games and it's quite possible our season will be effectively over about halfway through that stretch. If that happens, Marshall might (and should) get some playing time but if we do better against this schedule than projected, he'll not likely leave the bench except for garbage time. I don't think Garrett's shown us anything special so far.

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is looking like an absolute bust. Hopefully its a lesson learned. They might as well continue to try to develop him (D-League, garbage minutes) because they have him now. But I would not do it at the expense of Telfair, who is now a consistent backup pg. We have not had a consistent starter and backup at the pg position in forever.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its so silly to call him a bust right now. Its not looking good, he does look like a reach for a lotto pick at the moment. But he clearly has excellent instincts and vision as an offensive playmaker. Those things are almost impossible to teach. While a jumper is something that tons of players develop during their careers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its so silly to call him a bust right now. Its not looking good, he does look like a reach for a lotto pick at the moment. But he clearly has excellent instincts and vision as an offensive playmaker. Those things are almost impossible to teach. While a jumper is something that tons of players develop during their careers.

I'd agree. I think the pick was a reach but Kendall has NBA level skills to go with along with his obvious weaknesses. There wasn't a college guard with better vision or better passing skills than Marshall. I worry more about his ability to defend at this level than set up an offense as there's no reason he can't improve his shooting over the next year or two.

Steve

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score

that matters with athletes like Rondo. Marshall hasn't shown ANYTHING

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Its not silly at all. He has shown the ability to see the court, period. He has not shown the ability to shoot, but even if he could, he does not have the footspeed or handles to bring it up the court. Even if he could do that, his speed is such a liability on defense. Its really hard to see how he could possibly make it as an NBA player with the physical tools at his disposal.

They have him, now, so there is no reason not to see if there is possibly anything. But it is so highly doubtful.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its not silly at all. He has shown the ability to see the court, period. He has not shown the ability to shoot, but even if he could, he does not have the footspeed or handles to bring it up the court. Even if he could do that, his speed is such a liability on defense. Its really hard to see how he could possibly make it as an NBA player with the physical tools at his disposal.

They have him, now, so there is no reason not to see if there is possibly anything. But it is so highly doubtful.

Really? This is over the top. He cant bring it up court and does not have handles? His handles are fine, he has excellent control of the ball and you guys make it sound like he is as slow as a grandmother. He is not fast, but he is by no stretch of the imagination slow. Just because he isnt a lightning bolt people act like he moves like molassass. He does not have crazy jumping ability but he is plenty fast enough to play in this league.

100% of his problems stem from that he cant shoot... at all, everyone knows he cant shoot, so he defenders dont have to play him honestly and can just back off and deny him lanes to move around. IF he develops a jumper then there is no reason he cant be a solid NBA player. Hopefully he is spending all the spare time he can get to work on it.

I mean really... too slow to bring the ball up court? The guy ran the break for one of the most athletic teams in college basketball, he is PLENTY fast enough to play. Is he Leandro Barbosa? No. But he is just as quick as dudes like Seth Curry, Chauncy Billups, Andre Miller... but defenders have to play those guys tighter, which opens up driving and passing lands... while Marshall cant hit the broad side of a barn and defenders can sag off and cover all his angles.

Is he the kind of player you want to see out of a lotto pick? No, absolutely not. But if he learns to shoot he can have a productive career because guys with his kind of vision are very rare.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave