Marcus Gilbert re-signed

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Solar7, Mar 26, 2020.

1. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

So, with the additions in FA, PP21 and Alford for the season and others with a year of experience - you are predicting a #32 ranked defence?

daves and outcent13 like this.
  2. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

I think they are looking at Ezra Cleveland in the 2nd with a trade back pick from 8.

Mainstreet likes this.
  3. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

I would rather have Niang vs Cleveland.

BritCard likes this.
  4. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

It's a little hyperbole for good measure. Vance Joseph is still a question mark though.

I think the addition of an elite defensive player moves the needle more on overall wins and our defensive ranking than the addition of of a WR does though, if that means anything.

GuernseyCard likes this.
  5. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

20+ wideouts have top 3 round grades, I see no need to go for one with pick one.

BritCard and Cardiac like this.
  6. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

That's why I favor a trade back (assuming a defensive stud didn't drop). This way we can pick up more draft capital and hopefully still get either a top RT or god forbid Lamb or Juedy are still available we could take them there. I suspect we don't draft a WR or a RT if we stay at #8 as it likely means one of Simmons, Okudah or Brown fell to us.

FB94 and daves like this.
  7. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

Other than a QB available at #8 that could entice another team, I can't imagine a player available at that point that we couldn't use.

Quality over quantity, every time. IMO.

slanidrac16 likes this.
  8. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Agree. It gives us a security blanket if he sticks. It frees us up to not have to draft an OL And worst-case scenario - he can't fully rehab his injury and we release him.

Biggest team needs (not necessarily in that order): Protecting K1, Pass coverage opposite PP21, Stopping TE's and Consistently limiting YAC yardage.

9. CardsSunsDbacks

Of course there will be a player there that we can use, but the odds are there will be a player available a few spots later that will be just as good a prospect. Therefor we gain quantity without having to give up much if any quality.

Obviously whether or not we trade back and how far if we do depends very much on who all is on the board still and who we believe will be there at the trade back spot.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  10. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

Sorry... that kind of thinking lost us T. Suggs, once upon a time.

Stout, Minski and Solar7 like this.
  11. CardsSunsDbacks

You only do it if there are multiple players still on the board that have similar grades and one will be available at the later pick. If say Simmons is there and is graded well above the other guys available than you just stay put and draft him.

12. Cardiac

Cardiac Registered User

Why does everyone keep talking about drafting a RT at #8 and not say an OT at #8. Who is going to play LT if Hump gets injured? Murray barely passes as a RT god forbid he moves over to LT.

Every other unit on the team has better depth then the OT position. SK has stated the Murray can play OG as well so signing Gilbert and drafting a rookie to battle him for the starting position at RT is by far the best plan. I'm fine with trading back some and then drafting an OT.

13. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I don't want to pass on who we think could be an All-Pro RT for the next decade to draft a guy we think can swing to LT because the perception is that the player is more valuable. It's why I don't like trading back. I don't want a front office that says "I dunno, any of these guys will do."

14. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

Absolutely spot on. If we trade down we are going to swallow hard a pass on a good player.

Do we trade down for the sake of numbers? I believe we cannot pass on Simmons or Okudah. Some will disagree but we’ve been looking for a SECOND cb since we drafted Pp21.

We could trade down and still get an OT and perhaps a WR. However, to trade down its going to take somebody that wants a QB, a OT that they covet, a WR they love or a guy like Simmons or Okudah.

It’s easy to say trade down until you’re on the clock and you’re staring at a 5 star player.

GuernseyCard likes this.
  15. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

The problem with a trade down is Im not sure I can find a team thats still in range for us to get a top player.

Broncos maybe do it for Ruggs. However, if you want Lamb...he'd probably be gone to Raiders or Niners. Then you'd be hoping Kinlaw is still there.

Only way the Raiders make the deal is if they change course and want a QB. Otherwise they could sit tight and get Lamb.

Jets/Browns will probably want an OT just like us. So unless the guy we want isnt valued by those teams then why make a move. Unless we secretly think Andrew Thomas is the OT we really want.

Idk. We're kinda in a tough spot for a trade down.

GuernseyCard and Solar7 like this.