Mannion down to Arizona and Marquette

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That guy looks like anything but the 15th ranked player.

You couldn't be more on another planet... I have the great luck and good fortune to have a daughter who is in the same class as Nico. She is a cheerleader and so I've been at every high school game of his since he was a freshman. This really doesn't mean all too much, but FWIW, I have never seen any other high school basketball player play at the level Nico plays at. In fact, I've never seen any other player even come close to hitting Nico's level. The kid is a super-freak in every sense of the word. To start, he works his ass off. Beyond his amazing God-gifted skills, his work-ethic is second to none. He literally is training or playing every day of the week, 12 months a year. I'll admit that I was skeptical when I first saw him play, only due to his size. Even as a freshman, his skills jumped off the court. But up until last season, his size was an extreme detriment as he was constantly pushed and shoved around. But last season he grew, a lot. He popped over 6 feet and added weight and muscle. Now, he's over 6''2" and has added serious weight and strength, particularly below the waist.
The kid is a 100% natural if there was ever one... a lot like Steve Nash in terms of Basketball I.Q., except unlike Nash, Nico can jump out of the gym! He's been EASILY dunking the ball the past 3 years and now with the added height and leg strength, he flat-out touches the ceiling when he dunks! It's amazing to watch.
He excels with literally no peers when it comes to ball-handling, passing, rebounding and shooting. His shooting % from the floor and from the line is off the charts. And he's a lethal 3-point shooter to boot.

His parents were also gifted athletes and I believe he truly gets his toughness and drive from his mother. She's Italian and played on an Italian pro volleyball team. His dad had a short stint in the NBA and then in the Italian pro basketball league, which is how he met his wife. But Nico's mom is a true beast in the way she attacks life! She keeps herself in incredible physical condition and is a passionate entrepreneur. Nico is their only child and the kid has been conditioned since the day he was born that the only way to live life is to find your passion and go at it HARD every second of every day.

It's actually crazy as, Pinnacle High School also possesses the #1 QB in the entire country - Spencer Rattler, who has committed to Oklahoma. If you watch Netflix, there is a show called QB 1. They are currently filming Spenser for their 2018 season. Not sure when it will air, but it should give a solid picture of Spenser... where the contrast between he and Nico should be quite evident. While both are driven, Spenser gives off a much more cocky and entitled impression, whereas Nico is significantly more quiet and humble. Nico is more like the quiet assassin and Spenser is all about being right up your grill, talking trash and lots of towel-waving celebrations...
It's very rare to be able to watch up close and personal, two incredible high school athletes in the same class and same high school... both of whom appear to have above average chances of making it to the highest levels in their respective sports.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He reminds me of Booker in HS. Brandon Williams was a more important recruit but Nico is the better recruit.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
That’s the first vid I’ve seen of him. I like the way he changes speeds.

And gang, relax, these were the first pictures I’ve ever seen of him. I was talking about his appearance not his game. I’ve never seen him play. Hope he’s great and goes to Arizona and gives Miller something he hasn’t had, a true lead guard.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
That’s the first vid I’ve seen of him. I like the way he changes speeds.

And gang, relax, these were the first pictures I’ve ever seen of him. I was talking about his appearance not his game. I’ve never seen him play. Hope he’s great and goes to Arizona and gives Miller something he hasn’t had, a true lead guard.

He’s got some attitude and bounce for someone that looks like he’s on the chess team.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep it going...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Green is going to be fascinating, buddies with Mannion, but says UNC is his dream school.

I really like Mannion I do think he needs to get much stronger, I think college guards will bother him quite a bit because his dribble is too high right now and he's a bit loose with it, but he's a good shooter and athletic and seems to really understand change of speeds and angles.

I still say by far Cole Anthony is the best guard in the class, but Mannion is a keeper and I continue to be bummed UCLA didn't even make the finals for the kid.

I'm a big Josh Green fan he's one of my favorite players in the class

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Green is going to be fascinating, buddies with Mannion, but says UNC is his dream school.

I really like Mannion I do think he needs to get much stronger, I think college guards will bother him quite a bit because his dribble is too high right now and he's a bit loose with it, but he's a good shooter and athletic and seems to really understand change of speeds and angles.

I still say by far Cole Anthony is the best guard in the class, but Mannion is a keeper and I continue to be bummed UCLA didn't even make the finals for the kid.

I'm a big Josh Green fan he's one of my favorite players in the class

I’m always careful when a player says Team X is his “dream school”. Justice Winslow and Tyler Herro both said Arizona was their dream school and got fans excited but we found out it wasn’t a big factor. It would help Arizona a lot if Mannion commits soother rather than later. If they can somehow land both there will probably be some transfers.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Seal the deal (but not the Book Richardson way).

OP
OP
Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Seal the deal (but not the Book Richardson way).

Miller has Lester Earl’s son coming to town for a visit. I have to admit that I didn’t think he would survive the onslaught by ESPN. I admire him for his resilience

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would love to see Nico in a Suns uniform.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose