MadCards Cardinals 2022 Offseason plan pre-Free Agency

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2021 season ended with the Cardinals tripping before the finish line. They invested heavily into the 2021 season and that puts them behind the 8 ball heading into 2022. Many believe that the NFL Salary cap will hit $208M for 2022. That leaves very little wiggle room for the Cardinals. According to Spotrac the Cardinals only have about $5M of cap space heading into the 2022 offseason.

Notable Cardinals Free Agents:

Chandler Jones
James Conner
Christian Kirk
AJ Green
Zach Ertz
Colt McCoy
Robert Alford
Max Williams
Chase Edmonds
Cory Peters
Michael Dogbe
Dennis Gardeck
Max Garcia
Aaron Brewer

As you can see this isn't pretty. Oh and lets not forget that Kyler will be wanting a new contract in the next year or two if not sooner.

That pretty much limits who the Cardinals can re-sign. Sadly Chandler Jones will not be back as a Cardinal next year as they just won't be able to afford him. Someone will throw big money ($10M+ per year) at Kirk so I think he is gone as well. With both Conner and Edmonds as FAs I think the Cardinals might be able to keep one and that should be Conner if the price is right. Alford is going to be 34 and can't be counted on. Peters might be back for minimum but is getting up there in age. Max Williams might be back on a one year prove it deal coming off and injury.

Here is who I see the Cardinals re-signing with what they can afford:

James Conner $5.5M per year for 4 years
Colt McCoy $1.5M per year for 2 years
Aaron Brewer $1M per year for 3 years
Zach Ertz $6.5M per year for 3 years
Michael Dogbe $1M per year for 3 years

In order to make room for the resigned Cardinals as well making some room for FA and draft picks the Cardinals can do the following:

Cut Jordan Hicks (add $6.5M) (Time for the 1st rounder ILB's to step up)
Cut Devon Kennard (add $4.8M)
Cut Andy Isabella (add $1.1M)
Extend Justin Pugh (add $5M to 2022 cap)

With these moves the Cardinals would have about $10M heading into FA and the draft with a bunch of holes left to fill. Don't expect any big name FAs this year. The Cardinals will be searching the bargain bin to fill holes in 2022. It will be a make or break year for Keim and KK.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2021 season ended with the Cardinals tripping before the finish line. They invested heavily into the 2021 season and that puts them behind the 8 ball heading into 2022. Many believe that the NFL Salary cap will hit $208M for 2022. That leaves very little wiggle room for the Cardinals. According to Spotrac the Cardinals only have about $5M of cap space heading into the 2022 offseason.

Notable Cardinals Free Agents:

Chandler Jones
James Conner
Christian Kirk
AJ Green
Zach Ertz
Colt McCoy
Robert Alford
Max Williams
Chase Edmonds
Cory Peters
Michael Dogbe
Dennis Gardeck
Max Garcia
Aaron Brewer

As you can see this isn't pretty. Oh and lets not forget that Kyler will be wanting a new contract in the next year or two if not sooner.

That pretty much limits who the Cardinals can re-sign. Sadly Chandler Jones will not be back as a Cardinal next year as they just won't be able to afford him. Someone will throw big money ($10M+ per year) at Kirk so I think he is gone as well. With both Conner and Edmonds as FAs I think the Cardinals might be able to keep one and that should be Conner. if the price is right Alford is going to be 34 and can't be counted on. Peters might be back for minimum but is getting up there in age. Max Williams might be back on a one year prove it deal coming off and injury.

In order to make room for the resigned Cardinals as well making some room for FA and draft picks the Cardinals can do the following:

Cut Devon Kennard (add $4.8M)
Extend Justin Pugh (add $5M to 2022 cap)

With these moves the Cardinals would have about $10M heading into FA and the draft with a bunch of holes left to fill. Don't expect any big name FAs this year. The Cardinals will be searching the bargain bin to fill holes in 2022. It will be a make or break year for Keim and KK.

if Keim gives Conner a 4 year deal at 22 million bucks, someone should check if the breathalyzer installed on his car still works.

Never give running backs long term deals at the age of 27. Especially one who gets nicked up as much as Conner and while had a great season with TDs, really wasn't all that special running the ball.

He'd get a 2 year deal, max from me at 10 million. and even then, I'm a little leery, believing there's very little chance he ever has another season like he had this year again.

I'd be in for the rest of that plan.

I'd like to note again, that it's insane that we will be sitting with only 5 million dollar in cap room before Kyler's ever even gotten his big money contract extension. Just awful, cap strangling contracts handed out over the last couple years all of which produced one humiliating playoff game and nothing else to show for it.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Don’t think you’ll get Ertz for that price. Don’t see Pugh going that low either. I agree that 4 yrs too long for Conner, but I’d sign him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Don’t think you’ll get Ertz for that price. Don’t see Pugh going that low either. I agree that 4 yrs too long for Conner, but I’d sign him.
OTC has Ertz at around 8 mil but looking at contacts, I am not shocked if he is looking for around 10.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
if Keim gives Conner a 4 year deal at 22 million bucks, someone should check if the breathalyzer installed on his car still works.

Never give running backs long term deals at the age of 27. Especially one who gets nicked up as much as Conner and while had a great season with TDs, really wasn't all that special running the ball.

He'd get a 2 year deal, max from me at 10 million. and even then, I'm a little leery, believing there's very little chance he ever has another season like he had this year again.

I'd like to note again, that it's insane that we will be sitting with only 5 million dollar in cap room before Kyler's ever even gotten his big money contract extension. Just awful, cap strangling contracts handed out over the last couple years all of which produced one humiliating playoff game and nothing else to show for it.
This is true. Our roster is not good enough to be that close to the cap. A couple moves could be made to open up some easy dollars but that is what happens when you have 78.88 mil taken up by DJ Humphries, Jordan Phillips, JJ Watt, Devon Kennard, Jordan Hicks and Justin Pugh.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Outside of scoring TDs in which he was given most of those opportunities when the team got inside the 5 yard line, the rest of his production was pedestrian with a 3.7 YPC average. 2021 was also the most games he ever played in during his career which really doesn't bode well for expectations he will reach that number again. If he won't accept a 2 year $10 MM contract with somewhere between $6-6.5 guaranteed, then I let him walk. Conner just had his career year in 2021. History says Conner will not repeat his 2021 results.

Considering how valuable backup QBs have become I don't think you are going to get McCoy at $1.5 million either. He has shown to be a solid backup and some team will throw $2-3 MM at him to secure his services if needed.

I also agree that Ertz is going to fetch substantially higher than $6.5 MM per year.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

With Pugh I was saying extend him and get his 2022 cap hit down about $5M from his current cap hit of $11M.

You are probably right about Ertz but I was thinking that since he was 31 he could be had for cheaper. Probably not though as he is still putting up numbers.

Conner's contract would be for 2-3 years with a voidable year or two at the end. I'm not a fan of the voidable years but that seems to be the way Kiem has gone the last couple of seasons as a way of manipulating the cap. Similar to what they did with De'Vondre Campbell's contract in 2020 and AJ Green in 2021.

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
With Pugh I was saying extend him and get his 2022 cap hit down about $5M from his current cap hit of $11M.

You are probably right about Ertz but I was thinking that since he was 31 he could be had for cheaper. Probably not though as he is still putting up numbers.

Conner's contract would be for 2-3 years with a voidable year or two at the end. I'm not a fan of the voidable years but that seems to be the way Kiem has gone the last couple of seasons as a way of manipulating the cap. Similar to what they did with De'Vondre Campbell's contract in 2020 and AJ Green in 2021.
What you have to consider is where is the market and what will player sign for. I don’t imagine Conner would sign a one way deal, like voidable years. I think he get $5-6 mil a year in a 2 year contract. You’d have to guarantee more money to get Pugh to your number. Not sure his health makes that a good bet. Ertz probably get at least $8 mil

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OTC has Ertz at around 8 mil but looking at contacts, I am not shocked if he is looking for around 10.

Yeah but there is a good list of tigh ends likely available in March

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220202_033927.jpg
    Screenshot_20220202_033927.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That pretty much limits who the Cardinals can re-sign. Sadly Chandler Jones will not be back as a Cardinal next year as they just won't be able to afford him. Someone will throw big money ($10M+ per year) at Kirk so I think he is gone as well. With both Conner and Edmonds as FAs I think the Cardinals might be able to keep one and that should be Conner if the price is right. Alford is going to be 34 and can't be counted on. Peters might be back for minimum but is getting up there in age. Max Williams might be back on a one year prove it deal coming off and injury.

Cut Devon Kennard (add $4.8M) "Took a paycut"

Extend Justin Pugh (add $5M to 2022 cap) "Took a paycut"

So far tracking to what I was expecting. Ertz got a lot more than I initially thought though.

Very happy that Kennard and Pugh agreed to pay cuts.

Still hope that the Cards can bring back McCoy, Brewer and Dogbe.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
McCoy, Dogbe and Brewer all now signed. That checked off everyone I wanted the Cards to bring back.

Now to find some deals on FA.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Do you like Fletcher Cox as a possibility to improve our horrible run defense?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose