Mad Max: Fury Road

chickenhead

Reaction score
I saw it yesterday: really liked it and am super glad I saw it in the theatre (2D).

With the original writer-director adding to an existing canon, I think accusations of "re-hashing" are a bit misguided--though I understand why people might have felt that way about a remake. I'm glad it wasn't a remake, and it didn't need to be: Max at this point is basically the hero of a classic western or episodic TV show like Kung Fu, The A-Team, whatever. He has a backstory, exists in a world, and you can keep adding to his story, even if some of the stories resemble each other.

I was much more interested in it because it was a sequel and not a new world. It allows for a little more investment, and for a little more world-building (i.e. I had fun reading some of the Mad Max wiki afterwords). I also appreciated how simple the story was, and glad that it didn't get "expanded" the way Prometheus did. Now, I enjoyed that movie and will certainly see the next one right away--but I found the first three Alien movies much more evocative and mysterious even though they had more episodic plots and much less exposition (kind of a short-story vs. novel approach).

Also, I'm glad that the desert I grew up in was the Sonoran, not post-apocalyptic Australia.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it yesterday: really liked it and am super glad I saw it in the theatre (2D).

With the original writer-director adding to an existing canon, I think accusations of "re-hashing" are a bit misguided--though I understand why people might have felt that way about a remake. I'm glad it wasn't a remake, and it didn't need to be: Max at this point is basically the hero of a classic western or episodic TV show like Kung Fu, The A-Team, whatever. He has a backstory, exists in a world, and you can keep adding to his story, even if some of the stories resemble each other.

I was much more interested in it because it was a sequel and not a new world. It allows for a little more investment, and for a little more world-building (i.e. I had fun reading some of the Mad Max wiki afterwords). I also appreciated how simple the story was, and glad that it didn't get "expanded" the way Prometheus did. Now, I enjoyed that movie and will certainly see the next one right away--but I found the first three Alien movies much more evocative and mysterious even though they had more episodic plots and much less exposition (kind of a short-story vs. novel approach).

Also, I'm glad that the desert I grew up in was the Sonoran, not post-apocalyptic Australia.

I'm planning to see it in 2d at the dollar theater when it gets there after seeing it in 3d. What a thrill ride that movie was.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am taking my son this week. With work, my vacation out of town...I never made it. Plus the kids were begging to see JW and Inside and Out. The wife is bugging me to go see Spy. Too much!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just saw it last weekend. I was very entertained, had just the right mix of action and weird.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just saw it got a Best Picture nomination and Miller got nominated for best director. Awesome.

No chance it gets Best Pic, but IMO Miller has got a shot at best director... a slim one... but a shot. It was such a perfectly paced film and absolutely gorgeous to watch.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just re watched this at home, hadn't seen it since the theatre. Loved it then, but man my mind is blown all over again.

What a great freaking film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just re watched this at home, hadn't seen it since the theatre. Loved it then, but man my mind is blown all over again.

What a great freaking film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i need to do the same

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The crazy thing about this movie is for all its outrageous, epic spectacle, when I re watched it at home, it was just as awesome as when I saw it on the IMAX.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I just do not get the love for this one...it was okay....it was Mad Max.....
it was too visually noisy...Beyond Thunder Dome was better.
the whole family saw it together,....and nobody has ever suggested we watch it again

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap what an epic ride! I know zero about the original mad max but I reeeeeally liked this movie. Hardy and Theron? YES PLEASE!

I'm more of a rom-com girl but this action flick was nuts!

Furiousa is a badass name/character.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Entertaining thread! Especially the first 3 pages.

This film started pre-production way back in '97. I'm glad everything came together; they made an epic film. Nonstop action, just as I was hoping for.

The video below shows how amazing it was what they did prior to adding CGI.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media