OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How Luke Cage Will Be Different From Marvel's Superhero Movies

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...erent-From-Marvel-Superhero-Movies-70444.html

Airing a show off-network has its benefits. In Marvel’s case, their Netflix programming allows them to tell darker and more violent stories compared to what general audiences see in the movies. For actor Mike Colter, who will be playing super-strong hero Luke Cage, that and his series' deep character exploration are the primary reasons he was drawn to join the MCU on a smaller scale.

Colter expressed his enthusiasm to IGN over how Luke Cage and the other Netflix shows will not only be directed more towards adults, but how the stories are able to be more in-depth and focused. Said Colter:

"When I look at the scripts, I’m really pleased with it because it’s a slow-burn; there’s nothing happening really fast that gets ahead of itself. I’m really with where they’re taking it and how they’re developing the characters, because it’s really cool and it’s geared towards an adult audience, which is something that will be different from the Marvel Cinematic Universe you’ve seen before on the big screen...We have a more gritty, focused story on our heroes and characters that live in New York City, but it’s geared towards a more adult audience and I think that’s the thing about the series that will be different."

Unlike the movies or Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel’s Netflix series will be focusing on the street-level heroes of the MCU fighting urban crime. Hence the gritty tone that Colter and other creative talent have repeatedly mentioned for these shows, an aesthetic that’s harder to accomplish in the bigger budget productions. The movies have to make sure they can be accessible to people of all ages, whereas with Luke Cage and the others, adults are the primary demographic, so the creative teams are allowed to take more risks.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luke Cage Just Added An Awesome Sons Of Anarchy Star

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Luke-Cage-Just-Added-An-Awesome-Sons-Anarchy-Star-83027.html

Luke Cage is still a ways off from airing on Netflix, but the show’s cast is slowly coming together. The Good Wife’s Mike Colter will reprise his role as the eponymous hero, following his debut later this year in Jessica Jones, and it’s been reported that TV veteran Alfre Woodard will play local politician Minetta. Now there’s word that Sons of Anarchy star Theo Rossi has been added to the main cast as someone Luke may fight.

According to Deadline, Rossi will play Sonny, who is described as “relentless and menacing, smooth and manipulative, street smart and controlling.” However, projects like these often use pseudonyms to disguise a character’s true identity, and the outlet suspects that Rossi will actually be playing Luke Cage adversary “Shades” Alvarez, whose son Victor is the second Power Man in the comics. If Rossi’s character truly is Shades, he would be the fourth comic book villain rumored to appear in Luke Cage, following Cottonmouth, Black Mariah (who Woodard would actually be playing) and Diamondback.

Rossi is most well-known for his tenure on Sons of Anarchy as "Juice" Ortiz, who was the (simple) tech expert of the Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club, as well as one of the most troublesome member as time went on.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Release date for Season One: Sept. 30, 2016.

Sweet Christmas! Marvel’s Next Netflix Series Has Finally Received A Premiere Date

http://therealstanleeworld.com/luke-cage-premiere/

The dark and violent world that exists just below Avengers Tower is getting ready to get a bit bigger.

Marvel is slowly but surely gathering the Defenders on the cyber screen, and while fans have met three of the four heroes, one is getting ready to make his big debut in his very own solo series.

Fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe already met the man with unbreakable skin, Luke Cage, thanks to a certain superpowered P.I. While audiences got a pretty decent look at Cage’s powers on Jessica Jones, there’s still a lot about the character that has yet not yet been revealed.

It was announced a while back that the new series would premiere sometime in 2016, but up until now fans were stuck speculating as to when exactly that would be.

During the NYC premiere of Daredevil’s second season, Power Man himself, Mike Colter, finally revealed when fans can expect to see a whole lot more of Luke Cage.

Several fans had speculated that Luke would follow in Jessica’s footsteps and premiere in November. While Luke Cage will, in fact, be taking the Fall spot, he’ll be showing up just a bit earlier than anticipated.

Colter revealed that as of now, Luke Cage is set to release in its entirety on Sept. 30, 2016.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I want a Netflix video mashup of "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" and Marvel.

"Unbreakable!" (Luke Cage)

"They're Alive Damn it!" (Rescued Victims from Daredevil Finale)

"Females are Strong as Hell!" (Jessica Jones)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can the new season of TV just start now? Man I hate the summer wait. I wonder how they are going to combat Luke Cage's near invincibility. I mean we had a glance of how during Jessica Jones I guess. It's going to be interesting to see how they play that. For example in the comics one of the ways the bad guys used to hurt him was using Adamantium bullets or materials. Seems like he would have to take a huge amount of damage for the audience to buy into that he is in real danger.

My guess is they are going to play this more like everyone around him is in danger and he is constantly trying to keep people out of harms way verses protect himself. Could suffer from some "Superman" syndrome unless they introduce Adamantium. Can't wait for this to start.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, surprised no one is talking about this. I haven't watched it yet but its been out for the last few days and no one commenting on it?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK. I was disappointed in the pilot. Just dragged on and on. It picked up episode 2 and more episode 3. Liking it so far but slow out of the gate.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The first half of this season was absolutely brilliant. Great writing, setting, characters, etc. The history and literature references, and backstory, and a lot of other things, really hit the mark.

Unfortunately the writers really, REALLY dropped the ball on this season by their choices in the season-long plot. I'll put it in spoilers.

What a massive crap-the-bed decision the writers made killing Cottonmouth mid-season, muddling around a while, and going to Diamondback. Not compelling in the least. We had a cool villain to follow--though not as good as others--and a good plot. Then we got...soup. Shades? Diamondback? Mariah? Eh, who knows. Eh, who cares. Maybe, maybe if Marian picks up right after and carries out the season, it could have worked. Mariah killing Cottonmouth was a great scene, but the aftermath was lame. Diamondback was lame. The writers messed up by wedging two seasons' worth of villains and plot into one season, and boy, did it show.

And how lame was that hostage crisis in the club arc? Wow, was that boring and a big time-waster!

I mean, the show was still good, still better than the run-of-the-mill stuff we get on TV. It just wasn't cohesive, overall, and it hurt the show.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen the first four episodes - liking it so far.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like I said pilot was disappointing but it has picked up each episode for me. Only on 5 right now. Been busy.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I have 2 episodes left, it started out really slow and I find that it drags at times but overall I am enjoying it. I am not sure if it is a show that can sustain multiple seasons on it's own though, may have to combine it with Iron Fist for Power Man and Iron Fist or Heroes for Hire type of thing. After the Defenders I am not sure what the future holds on Netflix.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I watched episode 1, it was really promising.

I love netflix originals. They are like HBO quality. I cant ever go back to standard cable now. Obviously series like this get away with non PG stuff. Which makes it better. Its a rawer, darker story. Violence should violent. Nothing is dumber than watching 24 and see Jack Bauer karate chop a bad guy to death while screaming "Give me the launch codes you jerk!".

Good show so far

GMF1991

Reaction score
I've only seen the first 3 episodes and I'm kind of meh on this show. Maybe it gets better.

I'm sure I'll get around to finishing the season but I don't like it nearly as much as Daredevil.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Im now 4 episodes in.

I do not like Luke Cage's cliche "resistant superhero" shtick. Its so old and played out. "ooh I have these awesome powers but dont want to use them". Get your butt out there and start snapping necks.

Id much prefer if he was more like Shaft or Blade. All this gentle giant nonsense is boring.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It wasn't bad. It was getting a little strung out towards the last few episodes but the last episode was good.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so far behind on all my shows. Need to catchup and get threw this.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm liking it. Love that the back story essentially put him in his old comic book costume as a nod to fanboys. Enjoyed Jessica jones and he's a nice balance to her. When the defenders finally all come together I think it'll make a nice ensemble.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, this was my least favorite of all the shows so far. Both Dare Devil and Jessica Jones are better. I did enjoy it but it seemed to lack focus on who exactly the bad guys were then when one went down tried to prop up the other bad guy to make it seem like they were the big thread. It was all a little scattershot for me.

Really looking forward to Iron Fist and the Defenders.